Prop Predator machete build finished.

Demetrius

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi All,

Have been very impressed with the many fan films of the Predator franchise and I am also In the middle of shooting a short Pred film. Been building and procuring props for it over the years. Some items are expensive or hard to find so I decided to make a Predator Machete from aluminum.

I started with scaling up a picture of a Jack Crain example to 20 inches and scribing it on an aluminum 1/4 inch stock piece. I would have rather placed it on a thicker piece as the original have a thicker "tang"(?) and had been stepped down along the blade, but oh well. this will be featured in a short shot.
DSC_0742_zps3ed8p3lm.jpg

Rough shaping of the edge, I have no belt sander so this is done by hand. Think ill start the cross guard.
DSC_0743_zpsqzxceqvy.jpg

I also had a one inch thick aluminum block so I cut this out and shaped it.
DSC_0745_zpsumau3jq7.jpg

I found a piece of oak wood and started the grips. Also cut out the sub hilt and pommel.
DSC_0746_zpsl8wdj1x0.jpg

Almost done. It is raining today so I will post the finished knife in a few days.
Cheers all!

Last edited:
Re: Prop Predator machete build

Drilled and tapped a hole to secure the grips with a hex screw.
DSC_0749_zpsf12xml6w.jpg

Rough sanded the grip with an angle grinder. Much easier.
DSC_0750_zpsvqtodgta.jpg

This will be polished and stained later. I think the original machete was parkerized a darker shade to contrast with the edge. I will apply a sander to the flat side to achieve a satin look. the shape of the grip is not entirely accurate but in fairness most examples of the Crain machetes vary in appearance.

Re: Prop Predator machete build

Pretty much finished but have to do some polishing and fine adjustments. It is not exactly spot on as looks go but it fits the bill as a mean looking machete, I used a sander on the flat sides to get a satin look and waited for a few days for it to darken then polished the edges with sand paper and then steel wool. the grips were finished with a heavy dark stain but I felt they were not dark enough so I lightly dusted some black spraypaint to it and they seem to match, they have some wear as I have been handling it a bit.
DSC_0972_zpsaabj1hxj.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back