Prop Making Panel at PAX East - Video

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by MattMunson, Apr 12, 2012.

1. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Greetings all!

Last weekend at PAX, I had the good fortune of participating in a panel with a few fellow RPF members (and talented prop makers). Naturally, I filmed the entire thing, and I'm now releasing it to my new youtube channel, The Project Work Bench.

Please check it out and let me know what you think!

Part 1 - From Pixels To Props - PAX East Panel - YouTube

Part 2 - From Pixels To Props - PAX East Panel - YouTube

Here is the PDF that is mentioned throughout the panel, if you want to follow along.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  2. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

I love you so much for uploading this.

Not in a creepy way.

I'm gonna stop talking now.

3. MattMunson

Hah! Thanks man! There will probably be four or five more parts, so be sure to subscribe to the channel so you'll be on top of all the updates :D

4. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is great, now I don't have to bug my buddy who attended for a play by play.

He sent me a picture just as everything was kicking off with the panel, and I believe my response to him was "Holy [EXPLETIVE] is that Matt Munson?!"

Thanks. Much appreciated.

-Nick

5. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Subscribed!

6. mattevans

mattevans Member

Subscribed!

7. MattMunson

Cool, and thanks for the support guys! I really appreciate it! I've already got TONS of interviews filmed, just need to edit them and get them up on the channel. I think they will be a lot of fun for prop builders and costumers alike!

8. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

More, please. I just wish more had been said about gloves and needing different types for different materials.

9. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

Lets hope I dont sound retarded in the next section!

10. MattMunson

I showed part 1 to amanda this morning, and ALL she did was talk about how awesome your costume is.

11. MattMunson

Dude, if you've got questions, ask away. EVERYONE on that panel is a member here, and two of us are already posting in this thread :) So if there's anything you want to know that we didn't cover, ask.

Plenty more to come, and Bills section isn't finished yet.

12. NormanF

No questions from me, I'm just looking forward to see if there is anything I have not thought of or will make my life easier. The gloves comment was for other people. Not everyone thinks to read the MSDS on the stuff they are working with, not to mention one person who told me they like to shape bondo with their fingers without wearing gloves.

13. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The panel was great! And it prompted me to come back here for the first time since the new name came into play!

14. MattMunson

Glad you could make it to the panel, sir! Thanks for your support!

15. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Very nice.

Subscribed!

16. MattMunson

I'm editing together part 2 right now. coming along nicely. Because of the format of a panel, and the fact that I only had one camera running, I realize that it's not super visually exciting. I'm trying to switch things up by doing the occasional zoom in, and the overlay of the slides helps I think.

I'm pretty confident the content is worth slogging through it though. Pretty exciting to see three dudes who I respect immensely giving their thoughts on building.

17. MattMunson

And yes, please subscribe to my youtube channel! TONS more stuff coming soon!

18. NormanF

I liked the overlays.

19. Kestre

Kestre Member

Neat! I'm sorry I missed the panel and missed meeting you all. Looking forward to catching it on youtube.

20. Rjames112

Rjames112 New Member

It really was a great panel. The Ancient Nord helmet on Kelly was great.

I did think of one thing after the panel that wasn't mentioned. Along the lines of picking something in your skill level, pick something you can wear and is not too heavy.

Now I've just got to narrow down what's the next project...

21. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

Great video, Matt, thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing the rest of it.

I already learned some great stuff from this clip, particularly the video game model viewer bit will come in very useful!

Keep it coming!

Sean

22. MattMunson

I'm really thrilled to hear that the video is valuable to you guys! that is really great, and I'm glad there's still stuff to be learned. Still working on part 2, but it's a busy weekend. I'll get it up as soon as I can.

That's what she said.

Wait, no, that didn't work. nevermind. :lol

23. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hell yeah, subscribed :thumbsup

24. MattMunson

Part two is uploading now. Please be sure to subscribe to the channel so you can stay on top of all updates.

And if you enjoy the video, please be sure to "like" it or comment on the youtube page. That definitely helps me guage interest in the shorts I'm making.

25. Cleric

Cleric New Member

Was at that panel, it was terrific!

Here's the PDF mentioned in the panel, by the way.

26. MattMunson

Cleric, MANY thanks for that link. I'm going to include it in the first post of this thread. thanks!

I am super bad with names, so remind me please, did you come up after the panel and say hello??

27. Kailon

Kailon New Member

I wish i could have gone. 4 of my favorite prop builders in one panel...that's just heaven right there. Now add Blindsquirrel, and i'd be able to die happy just watching the youtube video.

Thanks Matt for the awesome work.

28. Canobi

Canobi Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cleric, that PDF is great, thanks :thumbsup

As someone who only recently started making replicas, this information is invaluable and is now my 1st point of referance. You guys are awesome and I will be watching each episode with great interest :)

29. MattMunson

Very kind words indeed, and I greatly appreciate it :) What you described is pretty much how I felt while sitting on stage, only I guess instead of four it was three :) Although I'm sure Blindsquirrel was there in spirit!

Part two of the panel video is now up! Check it out, share with friends, like it, comment on it... you know the routine.

Part 2 - From Pixels To Props - PAX East Panel - YouTube

30. MattMunson

The next segment is uploading now. It's all about tools, and I do the talking. Whoohoo!

If you've already subscribed to the channel, thanks! If not, please do! I'd love to hit 100 subscribers soon :D

31. Cleric

Cleric New Member

Nah, I couldn't think of any questions at the time, PLUS I had done a lot of yelling the day before, and my voice was ruined. If I got on that microphone and had my voice crack like it had been doing all day...ooh, haha

Also I had no idea that MDF was as toxic as it is, though! Thank goodness for going "Gah, I'm tired of breathing in sawdust, RESPIRATOR TIME!"

32. MattMunson

Yeah, MDF is pretty awful stuff, but REALLY nice to work with! lol. Just ask Zander! :D

33. MattMunson

34. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

How many parts will there be? Six?

35. MattMunson

I think six. I don't think we went much over our one hour, but as you can see the episodes are varying in length.

36. MattMunson

37. Xris

Xris Member

Thanks for the upload. Subscribed too!

38. VilleLeskinen

VilleLeskinen Sr Member Community Staff RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very cool stuff! I was just wondering as I've noticed at least on two or three occasions that what Bill said about using other peoples images or props for references has not been supported on the RPF. Could some of you "masters" explain this to me? :confused

39. MattMunson

Which part did Bill say that threw you off? He talked about googling for reference images, and using those images as reference to then make pieces. THAT is certainly not frowned up on. Please give more details, and I'll see if I can help :)

In other news, part FIVE of the pax panel is now up. I have two more parts to go, both of which cover the Q&A session. Those should be up shortly.

Part FIVE of the Pixels to Props panel at PAX is now live on my youtube channel. This is the last part of the presentation, though I've got two more episodes that will cover Q&A. Please comment and subscribe if you like what you see!

Part 5 - From Pixels To Props - PAX East Panel - YouTube

40. VilleLeskinen

In part one from 8:15 onwards. Before this Bill talks about Volpins reference images and then says that:

"There are lots of other people like on the RPF who have already taken pictures of their finished projects, you can use those images, nice high resolution images, as references for your projects."

I think it's just bad wording or maybe I'm reading too much into it?

41. MattMunson

Honestly, I don't see where the conflict is. to my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with using photos of someones finished work as REFERENCE for your own build. To tell the truth, I PERSONALLY wouldn't do it, as I wouldn't want to replicate someone elses replica! if that makes any sense. I would prefer to find reference material of the actual hero prop, or in the case of games, reference taken straight from it.

I personally don't see any conflict with what Bill was saying and the ideologies that are supported here on the RPF.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the wording. Can you maybe give me a specific example of how this could be construed as bad? Because I'm just not seeing it. Sorry! :D

42. MattMunson

In other news, part six is now up! And part seven is uploading as we speak! The last 2 episodes cover the Q&A portion, and then that's all she wrote.

I hope you enjoy the videos, and get some good info out of them. If there's any things you have questions about, please post them here.

43. VilleLeskinen

It's probably just my fever talking since I can't find a single thread that covered the issue I was trying to make...ummm, clear...unclear, whatever, never mind :wacko.

Thanks Mr. Munson anyway. You're the best.

44. MattMunson

lol. No worries man, and always happy to discuss further once your fever breaks.

My channel is rapidly approaching 100 subscribers, and I would really appreciate your help in getting there! What only takes you a few seconds means a great deal to me, so please subscribe :)

As of today, the entire panel is available for viewing on youtube, including a two part Q&A session.

Here's the link to my channel. Please check it out and subscribe. whoohoo!!

TheProjectWorkBench - YouTube

45. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

Well you have 80 now. :)

I've been wanting to check these out, so I'll have to watch them tomorrow.

46. MattMunson

Thanks Sluis! I am going to throw myself a congratulatory party when I hit 100. :)

The pattern seems to be that the first video in the series gets a ton of hits, and it trails of drastically after that. I need to figure out a way to keep viewers interested. I know that when it comes to something like a panel, it can be a little dry, and not very visually stimulating. For some upcoming interviews, I'm definitely going to experiment with a few things. stay tuned!

47. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Awwwww yeah! Did someone say Munson-in-a-bikini? :love

-Nick

48. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Loved the videos! They were great! Thanks to all the artists for hosting the panel and matt for uploading the videos.

49. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

It was pretty good. I knew a lot of the stuff, but it was great for new people. I know you didn't go in depth with a lot of subjects, but on the primer, you also need to make sure what color primer! I used dark gray primer on my Jedi training remote years ago and it took a ton of white to cover it. :lol

It was cool to put faces to people too. I didn't even know Zander was the same guy who made the Mass Effect stuff, Bryar pistol, etc. I'd been watching on here! :facepalm

50. zanderwitaz

zanderwitaz Well-Known Member

That was my bad, Im horrible at keeping my personal username (zanderwitaz) and my (zprops) usernames consistent!

As for the panel, its pretty awesome how much support we had, and its just as awesome that Matt has taken the time to record all of this, edit it and upload/post it. I owe a lot to you guys!