Prop and Model Restoration

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
"Although it looks to be in reasonable condition here, the model was severely damaged and had been repainted since the series had ended. That, along with many years of neglect, required that the model be completely restored."

That, especially the part in bold, justifies that extensive (and very well done) restoration to the 1999 Eagle, IMO.

But the Space Patrol...wow, what a travesty. I agree the final product looks good, but not one bit of its history is visible. It's been removed and covered.

Up until at least the early 80s, the full scale version of that rocket still existed. There was a little Starlog article about it once. I'll see if I can dig it up.

WinstonWolf359

Sr Member
Pretty impressive. I like the fact he seemed interested in returning the model to it's original condition, and left as many "no need to fix it" areas untouched as possible.

Pauleysolo

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The 11 ft TOS Enterprise in the Smithsonian could be repainted to "tone down" the weathering-especially on the saucer. It would take a lot of patience and airbrushing talent -but it could be done. They should use every reference photo- screen grab, and eyewitness testimony they could get -down the the square inch possible to restore -arguably- the most famous spaceship in science fiction history to it's studio finish from the late 60's. (No Offense to the Millenium Falcon)

Finally, I saw the Enterprise in the Air and Space Museum in 1989 and what they have done to it is really a shame. I am sure Ed Miracki has heard the critics---becaue a lot of people have been upset about this since it was unveiled.

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The shuttlecraft had already been repainted and semi-restored on at least two previous occasions, and even so was rotting out and structurally unsound, so unfortunately I don't see how these guys had any other choice.

Just shows to go ya that early efforts to preserve can make a big difference. If the shuttlecraft hadn't been in a boneyard for a decade before being rescued, rusting and rotting in the California sun, then there might actually be something original to look at now. It's a shame we don't, but it's either this restoration or nothing, pretty much.

Old story I've told here before:

An old timer shows a visitor an antique hatchet that he claims was the one George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree. It had been in his family for generations.

"'Course, my grandpa used it on the farm and had to replace the head, and my pa broke the handle once and put on a new one."

"So there's nothing left of the original hatchet here?"

"No, but it occupies the same space."