Prometheus David 8 Costume

UPDATE
So with the help of the RPF, we've ID'd several parts of the costume.

The Suit
The suit is most likely a custom-made Mao (or Zhongshen) suit, or one bought and adjusted to fit Fassbender. Here's a reference image:
prometheus-david-8-costume-suit-comparison.jpg-96931d1338750472

I'll be buying this jacket and dyeing it the right grey, replacing the buttons with ones of the appropriate colour.

A pair of white trousers will do, and be dyed with the jacket, as there are few reference images to go from at the moment.

The Patches
I've remade the patches seen on the crew members in SVG files, here's the wings:
View attachment 96945

And the name patch does not yet have the correct font, but everything else is pretty much sourced and SVG'd:
View attachment 96946

I'll be doing a run of both of these as embroidered patches, here's the Junkyard interest thread.

The shoes
In the promo videos David wears two types of shoes, some Croc-style flip-flops like these (but not quite):
31nftCILFKL._SS424_.jpg

And some canvas slip-ons like these:
77P03WWHT_large.jpg

But he only (from what I can remember - roll on BluRay release) wears the crocs in the film. That being said, I don't like Crocs, they're more expensive, and he does wear the plimsoles in cannon material, so I'm going with those.

So that's about it, and I hope you find this thread helpful. Scroll on down to see my progress pics (none so far :unsure) and more discussion.

The rest of this post is old - the pictures are still relevant though.

-----------------------------------------------
Hi there,

I'm an inactive member of the RPF, but I've been lurking here for years (I know, bad). I always set my sights on an entirely unreachable goal, and then stop before anything comes to fruition. But this time, I hope to actually get something done.

So, I've been looking at David 8 from Prometheus, as there's a wealth of pics out there already, and I noticed I really liked:
A.) His hair cut (that's pretty easy to get)
B.) His pajama type overalls (a little difficult)

david-8-michael-fassbender-prometheus-advert.jpg

The way this fits Fassbender so well makes me think that it might be custom, but it looks quite generic so I hope I might be able to find a suitable alternative that could be customised. The trousers look rather easy to find a close match:
View attachment 96774

And the shoes are the only thing I have no idea how to make/source.

Any tips from anyone else out there?
-----------------------------------------------

Last edited:
The shoes remind me of Vans classic slip-on shoes with soles more like flats as opposed to the thick soles they usually have.
Maybe find a cheap, all-grey knock-off of those shoes..?

Someone else probably has a better idea than that, though.

---

Maybe check out Keds Men's Champion Slip-on Canvas Shoes.
The sole is smaller and can be painted the proper color?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response guys.
Dagnie - The Keds Men's Champion Slip-on Canvas Shoes do look pretty similar, and dyeing them to match the shots wouldn't be very difficult. He does, however, wear a different kind of croc style sandal in this shot. I like the slip ons better though, plus they'd be more practical for wearing outside in cold British summertime.
View attachment 96779

Here's a few more High-Res Screenshots of David 8 (thumbnails).
View attachment 96775

View attachment 96776

View attachment 96777

View attachment 96778

It looks like there's some sort of clasp holding the collar together on this one.

Last edited:
Bump. Also, I think the jacket is based on a 2-piece flight suit. Most of those have slanting zip pockets, but I've seen similar fabrics and cuts in various different place.

Also, sorry for the huge images, I'm not sure how to give them icons.

Oliver

Thanks, looking through their collection, I can see the similarity, but perhaps they're a knock-off brand? David's seem to be a tighter fit on the top, and with less stitching.

Also, anyone have any ideas at all about the jacket? That's the hardest part to source, and I don't think I'm up to making it from scratch.

Update - Dagnie
Found this Keg shoe, it looks almost identical from what I can se, barring the extra stitching on the back portion (easily replicable) and the little loop bit on the heel.
04ADA083.jpg

Still no luck on the jacket, though I did see some similar fabrics in the shops today.

Well, it looks like they just grabbed a gray shirt and pants for Andrea from Project Prometheus. Honestly, David's dress shirt doesn't look that generic (note the collar and pockets) and is most likely a custom design. Nevertheless, go grab a gray shirt and gray dress pants and I think you're all set for the premiere!

Well, it looks like they just grabbed a gray shirt and pants for Andrea from Project Prometheus. Honestly, David's dress shirt doesn't look that generic (note the collar and pockets) and is most likely a custom design. Nevertheless, go grab a gray shirt and gray dress pants and I think you're all set for the premiere!

Thanks, you're probably right about the shirt, I've just come back from seeing the movie (no spoilers, but it's pretty great) and from what I can recall, the cut of his shirt really seems far too close to be off the peg. However, I do have some tailor friends who may or may not have made it (stroke of luck, right?), but even if they haven't, hopefully I could custom a shirt to get a more accurate look on the collar and pockets.

Also from the movie, I noticed that David wears the weird flip-flops that are in some of the images above all the time. Not too keen on that, they look kinda... ugly. But still, I think they might be crocs.

crocs-spartoo.jpg

Sorry about the awful image quality, but that looks pretty similar to me.

Crocs were what I was looking at for the flip flops. I agree on those, the closest would probably be them.

Crocs were what I was looking at for the flip flops. I agree on those, the closest would probably be them.

I agree, although I suspect those flip flops weren't custom made, so a little bit of searching might pull a closer match. Luckily, they shot the movie near me, so there's a better chance of finding the right one. Other than that, does anyone know how hard it is to paint crocs? I imagine the rubbery surface might be a little tricky.

Another thing I noticed in the movie was that David wears those two patches that are in some of those photos (above the left pocket) throughout, plus it would be more helpful for people to recognise the character if it said "David" on the front. I've ID the font used for the name plate (thanks to the project prometheus website) but I'm having a little trouble getting it onto my computer, but once I do I'll start producing the patches on Photoshop, and probably have a run made.

Anyone have any UK custom patch makers they wanna recommend?

Okay so I've been looking around on the net for better quality shots of those patches, and I've found a fan-made tee shirt:
View attachment 96770

...with what looks like an exact copy of the new Weyland wings logo. So I used that to create a vector graphic of the mission patch.
View attachment 96772

I've begun work on the name patch, but I can't get the font onto my system, so the work is a little shoddy at the moment. Here's both of them at approximate print size.
View attachment 96771

If/when I do a run of these, just as a preliminary, is anyone interested in having one?

Another update here -
I'm probably going to get these Crocs early next week, and start filling in the indents (perhaps with expanding foam. suggestions?) and painting after next weekend.

I've come to a decision about the colour of the fabric for the main suit - I'll probably buy the lightest colours possible, hopefully white, then dye them both the same grey. I'm hoping to get a tailor friend to help with the customisation of a shirt, and luckily I have a really cool button shop that (I think) already has the ones I'm after in stock :).

I saw a Prometheus t-shirt thread earlier on here, probably going to get a white one to wear underneath, can't remember if it had a logo on it in the film though - perhaps I'll wait until the DVD to get a look in, and just have a white tee 'til then.

I'm in need of a haircut anyway, so I'm planning to have one in the David 8/T.E. Lawrence style later this week, but I'm afraid my dark brown hair will remain, I'm not that dedicated.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back