Prometheus Data Cube

That is looking awesome! Am I allowed to ask what your 3D print cost?

I was given a quote for a part that is about 105mm x 85mm x 65mm and they want $350 for it! I thought was way too much and it does not have anywhere near the detail of your piece.

When it's done and up anyone that wants one will be able to get a print for about 100 bucks. This is just over 6cm (not counting the extended emitter). It will print in a material that can handle 0.2mm details (I believe).

Ok, here's one final update before I wrap this up to print! I went back, made the center button separate so that it could be made into a real pushbutton OR just glued in place. A guide was added to the inside of the cube to center the button. I also added diffuser supports (see the picture) to the inside. Their main purpose it to provide a thickening wall to catch light inside the cube and help achieve the "fade" effect.

very nice! I am definitely interested in getting one of these printed pieces from you when they are done. The push button feature is very cool and seems to be accurate to film. very impressed with your intricate design on this! Excellent work!

Loving the this prop, and the 3D by joatrash is reall impressive.

I'm an old fashioned kinda guy, and I think this prop deserves a scratch build. I made a little mock-up today, can't decide if i'll commit to the build yet or not.

What do you guys think??

7314619806_14f53b7530_z.jpg

7314619258_c7b5330722_z.jpg

7314618184_ee4543f41f_z.jpg

7314616632_a04412021b_z.jpg

That looks pretty darn spiffy. The big challenge you will have is getting if perfectly even all around, especially getting the thin ridges in there. Are you planning to make the light fade at the edges?

That looks pretty darn spiffy. The big challenge you will have is getting if perfectly even all around, especially getting the thin ridges in there. Are you planning to make the light fade at the edges?

cheers dude.
it will be a challenge, but so long as I have accurately cut components it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Yeah, definetly want to keep it as accurate as possible, so yes, the light fade would be a must.

Just saw the movie! EPIC!!! and it made me think of this build! wondering how it's going, I'd love to see what ya got now! Can't wait to see this one finished!

First test print is in hand! This is the center button, about 1.96cm wide (about 0.77 inches!).

attachment.php

I'm still frequently amazed at the detail that can be done with this method. Since the button printed so well, I'll be setting up a thread in the JY shortly for those that want to order a holocube kit. Personally I'm having one printed in transparent plastic but that option is a LOT more expensive (2-3X the cost) than the slightly translucent white plastic the button was done in. (I also don't know how well the cube will print in the clear stuff... it might be a lot more fiddly.)

In the shot where it's just being twirled around it may even be one. Notice that it seems more reflective in that shot than in the effects shot...

Final test print is IN HAND and it came out GREAT! For this print I went with a slightly different (and a lot more expensive) material just to try it out but the first test printed white button shown above proved that the cheaper material holds up great too. (i actually thought this more expensive stuff would be smoother and more transparent than it is compared to the cheaper one, but they are surprisingly close.) Here's a photo of the results. (It's really ahrd to photograph the symbol details in the white/frosted plastic but it's super-crisp. Gonna do some fiddling with it, then expect a link in the JY where to get a print if you want one...

That looks great! What are the dimensions of the cube in general? The button you showed earlier looks a little large compared to the cube and how I remember it looked in the actor's hand.

The cube is about 6cm (2.4"). I was actually afraid it was going to be too SMALL! The button is exactly the same size as the rest of the squares. I gauged a size by pressing my finger down like in the trailer and drawing a button around it... I assumed they probably made it an even size, so I went with 6cm because that seemed to work.

Looks GREAT! :)

Here are a couple more shots:

attachment.php

prometheus-alien-prequel-holocube-kit-cube_comp2.jpg-98223d1339624760

I've put up a thread in the JY for anyone that wants a print. Now I gotta get to work painting and lighting this thing...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back