Prometheus Data Cube

Committed to a full build over the weekend.

7369140510_68e41b3da3_z.jpg

7369139672_f19a8701c0_z.jpg

need to finalise the paint job and tidy up the baseplate and wiring for the lighting.
pretty happy with the result, the symbol details are a little rough, and probably a tad on the large side, but I couldn't really have managed to hand cut them any smaller :/
Thinking of doing the opened version also.
Might even try to take a mould? A slush cast with a tinted transparent resin could be really nice??

Last edited:
Sorenzo, how did you construct your cube? did you make a plastic cube?

All you guys have done amazing work, I've never made a prop before but I think I'll give this one a go in some way. Was thinking about using a rubix cube, spraying it silver and embedding a mini USB memory stick into one of the squares so it was a functional memory device?

Sorenzo, how did you construct your cube? did you make a plastic cube?

All you guys have done amazing work, I've never made a prop before but I think I'll give this one a go in some way. Was thinking about using a rubix cube, spraying it silver and embedding a mini USB memory stick into one of the squares so it was a functional memory device?

I'll post a quick build thread over the weekend. Just finalised the paint job, its looking pretty sweet :)

Progress shot of the test print of my kit (still available in the JY). This is after one thin coat of plastic primer, black undercoat, silver coat and one layer of clear. Next will come sanding down again, more silver... some slight weathering. Then I need to add the spring-loaded activation button and interior leds. This will be a sealed/solid unit, without a stand and batteries inside.

This is just me shining a flashlight to test it out...
attachment.php

I know this is an old thread. But I’m curious if the 3D printed version ever was completed? I’d love to see it. I’m about to build my own Holo Cube. Also. i found this picture online someplace. Shows the on-set cube is clearly just a painted rubiks cube. :)

url.png

- - - Updated - - -

Also shown in the photo is one of the pups on the very left. I’m not sure what that center one is. perhaps an earlier version of the pup.

Speaking of rubik's cubes . . . Here is a video of the lighting effects I had going on in my prototype. (I don't think I ever shared this one). It's basically just built from one of those light up rubik's cubes. I dremeled all the color out of it, replaced the LEDs and modded it to have 2 settings, 1. motion activated light pattern and 2. solid ON. Anyways, here's the vid:

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of rubik's cubes . . . Here is a video of the lighting effects I had going on in my prototype. (I don't think I ever shared this one). It's basically just built from one of those light up rubik's cubes. I dremeled all the color out of it, replaced the LEDs and modded it to have 2 settings, 1. motion activated light pattern and 2. solid ON. Anyways, here's the vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH0narovYlQ

Cool to see one with lights already in it. I’m thinking i’m gonna make mine silver. or possibly chromed. if i can figure out if that’s practical. :D (probably not!)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back