PROJECT: TERRIBLE FATE (Making an aged Majora's Mask)

Lux Shot

Hello everyone!
I'm Ricardo Xavier, I'm new to the RPF and propmaking, but I decided to give it a shot so here I am!

Currently I'm working on my first project called "Terrible Fate" in which I'm making an aged replica of the Majora's Mask from the Legend of Zelda. I've got a lot to learn but so far everything is looking pretty good I think. Hope you like my work, any suggestions or ideas are gladly received.
Blueprint process 2.jpg

• This is how it all started. I drew up my blueprint in Adobe Illustrator with all the details and dimensions of the mask. Once I had it printed to scale I cut out the main piece that would be the shape of the mask so I could start working with the dummy I made out of foam.

Terrible Foam.jpg

• "You've met with a terrible FOAM, haven't you?" Since I'm mostly experimenting with this I haven't really had the chance to find the most appropriate materials for prop making so I'm working with what I have available for the moment. I used polystyrene foam and I know there's some other high end foams that are better for this kind of stuff but all I could find in the local stores was this one. This kind of foam is great for other kind of things and Ive seen some pretty cool sculptures made out of this foam but for me It didn't gave me the kind of smoothness and detail I wanted and also I'm afraid it could break or something since I'm not making a mold out of it. But in the other hand it served me well to have a better understanding of how the mask could actually look like.

foam to wood.jpg

• I figured a way to make it with wood. Maybe this isn't the best way to do it but for me this worked great. I used the foam I first used to do the mask, cut it in half and sliced one side in to 8 pieces of the same width of the wood panel I had. Once I had the pieces with numbers on it, I traced each piece in to the wood and cut two of each one, that way I had two symmetrical parts of the "heart" shape of the mask.

wood.jpg

• [*=center]And this is how it turned out!

heart.jpg

• This is what happens when you combine a lot of patience, sanding and love... you get a really cool heart.

hollow.jpg

• Finished making the mask hollow. With the Band Saw I cut the inside of each slice so when all were put together, voilà! got myself a hollow heart!... though that sounds kind of sad...

bondo!.jpg

• Bondo! this worked great to fill up the imperfections that the mask may have and make it even and smooth.

sanding.jpg

• Sanding, sanding, sanding... After applying the Bondo I had to sand everywhere I used Bondo to make it nice and smooth.

Apox.jpg

• After using primer I could see what parts still needed more work. Some Bondo to fill and "apoxie Sculpt" to highlight some details was enough for everything to be more even.

spikes.jpg

• [*=center]Spikes test.

frame.jpg

• I started making a frame for the back of the mask, this will be then painted and carved to look like an rusty old metal frame.

twoface.jpg
ready.jpg

• [*=center]Preparing for detailing!
*More updates coming really soon!

Blueprint process 2.jpg

Terrible Foam.jpg

foam to wood.jpg

wood.jpg

heart.jpg

hollow.jpg

bondo!.jpg

sanding.jpg

Apox.jpg

spikes.jpg

frame.jpg

twoface.jpg

ready.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
detailing.jpg

I started detailing this guy. I'm making an aged version of the mask so I need some destructive details. Using a Rotary tool I carved a wooden texture on the front of the mask with some damaged areas. For the back I'm making it to look like if it where made out of metal with rust and broken parts.

details done.jpg

Finished detailing... for now. I'm pretty happy of how it have turned out, I also added some screws to the back (I must say this wasn't my idea, I saw this in another design but I really liked it so I implemented the idea to my project)

Last edited:

Here's a quick video showing a bit of the detailing process of some parts of the mask, hope you enjoy!

Weathering details are looking great! And what an incredible start to you entry to prop making! I am also new to the RPF and the world of props, and your work is definitely inspiring me to get off my butt and get to working on my own Zelda Mask series. Thanks for a great post! I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Weathering details are looking great! And what an incredible start to you entry to prop making! I am also new to the RPF and the world of props, and your work is definitely inspiring me to get off my butt and get to working on my own Zelda Mask series. Thanks for a great post! I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Thanks for your kind words, it means a lot to me! Its great to know that you're being inspired by my work, that inspires me to keep going haha! It haven't been easy but I think the best way to learn is to actually start making something, so I'm looking forward seeing your work!

triangles rpf.jpg

The back of the mask was looking kind of empty, so I figured I could carve some "ancient" looking pattern. This was done with a Rotary Tool and after several hours this is the result!

I had no idea what Majora was from, but this is so cool, great work man.

Thank you! The Majora's Mask was made by an unknown ancient tribe from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask video game, it was used on rituals and holds a great power corrupting the one who wears it using its dark magic to wreak havoc across the world. Thats why I decided to give it that realistic look making it look aged and beaten up.

mold eye - RPF.jpg

I made an eye out of wood that later will be used to make both eyes in plastic by heating a piece of styrene plastic on top of this piece so it will then be molded by this form. By doing it this way I can have a hollow eye where I can install some leds to make glowy eyes.

Eye - RPF.jpg

This process might have been way easier if I had a Vacuum forming machine, but since that's not the case I had to find a way to achieve the same results with what I had in hand at the moment. So this is what I did: First I cut a circular piece from a styrene sheet, then placed the plastic on top of the wood and using a heat gun I heated the plastic so it would start getting molded by the wood piece. I had to stretch down the plastic a bit while it was still hot for it to be completely molded. Finally I cleaned the excess from the bottom. Now that I have the two eyes made in plastic it's time for detailing!

This is a teaser of what I'm currently working on the mask, the first light test for the eyes. This wont be the final result, I'm planning on using other colors and different lights but for now this will give you an idea. Enjoy!

That is coming along nicely. I feel that the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet. You are doing just that with smashing results!

That is coming along nicely. I feel that the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet. You are doing just that with smashing results!

Thank you!... that's right, I did that without knowing what would happen, and I must say I'm pretty amazed of the things one can achieve with only some motivation... that's all it takes, thanks.

Mujura - RPF.jpg

These symbols belong to one of the many alphabets and syllabaries created for the Legend of Zelda Video Games. The one I used is the one used of course in the Majora's Mask game, and this is supposed to mean "Majora". I went to a lot of research and got some help from people who had a better understanding about this and at last I have my very own mask autographed by Majora itself!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back