Project Mercury Launch Complex and Atlas rocket

Hi ProfKSergeev , do you, or anyone here, know what the 'R' indicates inside the Mercury sigil on the side of the engine cowling.
I think it safe to assume its Rocketdyne as they built the 3 Atlas engines but I've never been able to find any direct confirmation of this.
View attachment 1438166

You're correct, David3. The R is indeed for Rocketdyne (and not for James Kirk's original middle initial).

Station 102. The site of so much unrecorded and definitely real Project Mercury debauchery, often involving mermaids. With this step done, I am taking a week-long break to exorcise the glue fumes from my brain.

There are so many complex interactions between this piece and the overall structure that it took me a week to figure it out.

51073803931_28785d668e_b.jpg

That pebbly "frosted glass" is left over from an abandoned TIE Defender scratchbuild that I started as a TWELVE-YEAR-OLD. That's over a quarter-century ago.

51073910342_42e9cab358_b.jpg

The violence that was done to the tower to slide this station in. Forgive me.

51073110178_0f8487e7b3_b.jpg

I'm proud of this thing, even if it is kinda wonky here and there and has a few gaps. But what the eye don't see, the chef gets away with, eh, Mr. Fawlty?

51004626420_af0a8f6971_b.jpg

ProfSergeev,
Just read through the complete build build thread ( how I missed it before is beyond me). Stunning, stunning work. Love the ambition and execution.

Very, very well done, Sir.

Astounding…

Energiya-Buran deserves such treatment.
You don’t see much in the way of models from aerospace firms any more in this PowerPoint age. A model is a magic wand for the psyche…a way to crystallize dreams into action.

If I may be so bold…there is a non-Buran Shuttle II concept I have that you might consider. If I were old space…but wanted to compete with Musk…I might have the orbiter keep the oxidizer tank of the whole shuttle stack where the payload bay is.

The ET (external tank) would be pure hydrogen and made from the start as a wet workshop module.

The payload? It goes atop the ET…maybe aft cargo carriers. The payload may remain with the ET or separate…the orbiter is now a tug and moves the empty drop tank…with some small thruster packages of its own…to a holding yard…or near enough to it to get their on its own. The orbiter which has all the avionics and engines is unmanned and compact if FLOXed. The ET simpler than ever, and human rated craft go atop it with escape towers.

Here you don’t have to cover the tankage with foam or heatshields, do Adama maneuvers and catch falling skyscrapers. An orbiter loss is no longer a tragedy.

I think this concept needs a model to help make it real.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back