Project: Lucian Gun (League of Legends)

hagemus

Hi.
My name is Kristoffer, I'm new here and this is my first ever build.
My brothers birthday is coming up and I decided to make him a foam version of Project:Lucians smaller, semi-automatic gun. (Which I believe belonged to his dead wife.)
CQ8tH5aWsAAiZI_.pnglucian gun.pngLucian_PROJECTSkin.jpg
Theese are the references I started with. I made some sketches and eventually made the whole thing in SketchUp to decide how to assemble it.
metagun.jpg
The whole gun will be made with EVA foam except for the orange glowing parts. I have some sheets of clear acrylic and orange LEDs, I am thinking of frosting the acrylic but don't know what way is best yet, also I need to find the best way to attach the foam and the acrylic together.
Anyway, I then drew the patterns for cutting the foam on paper. (Apologies for the quality on some of theese images)
20170224_135544.jpg20170224_135424.jpg
So, where I'm at now is that I've started to cut and glue some of the parts. The foam I've been using is sold as a sleeping mat for camping, it does not have any texture and is 9 mm thick but it is curved as it has been stored as a roll. As for the glue I'm using a textile glue which so far seems to be working well, the package however does not state any drying time.
20170224_135333.jpg20170224_135344.jpg20170224_135354.jpg20170224_135452.jpg
As you can see the first piece doesn't look very good mostly because I got some drag with the knife. However I think I'm getting better at it and the second piece (Weighed down by various objects) looks much better.

So that's where I'm at right now, any help/observasions/tips greatly apreciated, especially regarding what materials to use for finnishing and painting.

Last edited:
Heres an update:
I've cut out allmost all the parts from the foam now and glued them together.
20170303_023620.jpg

I have also started sanding down the edges which seems to get just a bit fuzzy.
20170225_145731.jpg20170225_152001.jpg

However if this turns out to be a problem later on I hope to remedy it with an acrylic sealant I've been using to fill gaps and smooth out surfaces.
20170303_030645.jpg

That's it for now, I haven't started work on the glowy parts yet but I hope to have some progress to report on that front in the next update.

I havent had time to work on this for a while, but here is the upper and lower part assembled:
20170325_085832.jpg20170329_121238.jpg
Next up is cutting the acrylic and wiring the LEDs

So here's the most of the acrylic parts cut and sanded:
20170404_232447.jpg
For the electronics me and my electronicly inclined brother baught a usb battery bank, disasembled it, wired LEDs and a switch to the parts and hot-glued them in place.

This is the battery:
20170404_232803.jpg

The micro usb port:
20170404_232722.jpg

On/off toggle switch:
20170404_232737.jpg

And the LEDs:
20170404_232041.jpg

Nice start.

A few suggestions. To get rid of the fuzzy where you sand the foam, wet sand it with 400 grit then carefully go over it with a heat gun. The 400 grit will take off the fuzz without changing the shape you've already set. The heat gun will seal the surface of the foam. Just don't over do it with the heat gun or you'll start to melt the surface.

Contact cement, like Barge or Weldwood is great for foam.

Also, invest in a good blade sharpener. As you've probably seen, foam dulls a blade surprisingly fast. I use the Krenshaw sharpener Evil Ted shows in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDjeT8cOi8

Nice start.

A few suggestions. To get rid of the fuzzy where you sand the foam, wet sand it with 400 grit then carefully go over it with a heat gun. The 400 grit will take off the fuzz without changing the shape you've already set. The heat gun will seal the surface of the foam. Just don't over do it with the heat gun or you'll start to melt the surface.

Contact cement, like Barge or Weldwood is great for foam.

Also, invest in a good blade sharpener. As you've probably seen, foam dulls a blade surprisingly fast. I use the Krenshaw sharpener Evil Ted shows in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDjeT8cOi8

Thanks for the suggestions! I will keep the fuzziness countermeasures in mind as I finish the project. I will definitely get a blade sharpener at some point. As for now I have a good amount of spare blades so I've been throwing them away as I go.

Looking pretty good. I had built a couple of these about 2 years ago and just thought I'd put this image here if you wanted some images for reference of similar props.Project Lucian Guns.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back