Project Iron Man: Mark XVII - Heartbreaker (Painted helmet Kit) :)

skylu3Design

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all, it's been quite a while since my last Mark 42 helmet built. Here is something I have done so far, and all the time I modeling in either Rhinoceros or Solidworks program just like my previous Mark 42 that you can find here - (my Mark 42 Helmet)

I would like to thanks to RPF memeber : Balmung:thumbsup, his excellent work in extracting the game model and I have great chance to look into those detailing in model mapping.

So here is 3d modeling of self learning work for about 6 months on/off practise, model done in 3ds max. I find 3ds max polygon modeling has some advantages in smoothing the model, and it is so far understandable to me...

This is 1st stage modeling screenshots by refer to the game model, notice the lower jaw seems to be longer than the promo official CG reference as well:facepalm...

17_FinishDesign04_zpsaae3efa0.jpg

17_FinishDesign03_zps33b3d982.jpg

I also did some improvement to the 3d model base on what I spotted by comparing the official promo screenshot, there you come the 2nd improved 3d model with color rendering, and quite satisfy the result :)...

IronManMarkXVII-render01222_zps37ea3b47.jpg

IronManMarkXVII-render02223_zpsebe89122.jpg

IronManMarkXVII-render04225_zps699e2cfd.jpg

The model was printed by the Replicator 2 desktop printer, and spliced out into pieces (due to the print size restricted). All I have to do is glue all pieces together and mastering it. Here is some of photo in progress (I didn't took all pics, hope your don't mind).
Printed piece freshly out:lol

I have the face plate printed and smooth sanding for two layer prime:)

and combine with some pieces out from printer, glue and put together:D

This helmet design jusr rocks! plenty of detailing needed to model and a lot of hard work and afford to put into the sanding work:sleep...So here is what I reach now...

Current only left to fill up the inner ear like all those inlet hole, then I think that this helmet will consider as done:), but issue that slow me down is just the inlet hole bit too narrow to access and reachable area is small, I will have to use small file to deal with it part by part.
I believe I can do it !!!!:devil:devil:devil

Last edited:
Re: Project Iron Man: Mark XVII - Heartbreaker (3D printed)

This is looking incredible. I couldn't help but notice that the faceplate doesn't seem to align properly (or at least on the top). Is that because you just threw it on there for a picture or is it something you will have to fix? Either way this is really well done. Both the 3d model and physical construction are great!

This is looking incredible. I couldn't help but notice that the faceplate doesn't seem to align properly (or at least on the top). Is that because you just threw it on there for a picture or is it something you will have to fix? Either way this is really well done. Both the 3d model and physical construction are great!

Haha, sharp eyes you are.
Yes, I adding some bondo behind the faceplate near both chin for more area to embed and mount the magnet after work.

When is flatten and the faceplate is going to sit in place. No worry :)

Wow! What program are you using to model? That render is really nice!

I wish i had a 3d printer too ahahha

Wow! What program are you using to model? That render is really nice!

I wish i had a 3d printer too ahahha

It was modeling from 3ds max, the rendering is just another method to motivate myself to work harder :D

Wow!! Looks fantastic!! Will definitely be following this build. Great job!

well done bro !!!! another awesome 3D model .... not only to create the accurate details helmet , but the knowledge of product design on interior structure to bring out a durable and great prototype printed piece .:thumbsup . Just put in more patient work on smoothing it and this helmet will sure be the BEST !!!!!

Wow!! Looks fantastic!! Will definitely be following this build. Great job!
Thanks! will definetly share when I done more in progress!:)

well done bro !!!! another awesome 3D model .... not only to create the accurate details helmet , but the knowledge of product design on interior structure to bring out a durable and great prototype printed piece .:thumbsup . Just put in more patient work on smoothing it and this helmet will sure be the BEST !!!!!
Thanks buddy! Your kind words keeping me motivate (y)D

Ha… cause it shoot you in heart :)

Hey man how big is this helmet? will it fit an 18cm wide head? I want to get one. I've abandoned my 3D Mk17 project because someone stole my files, I just want one for my collection.

Hey man how big is this helmet? will it fit an 18cm wide head? I want to get one. I've abandoned my 3D Mk17 project because someone stole my files, I just want one for my collection.

Sorry to heard what happened to your project abandoned. I designed this helmet to fit my head of 23.75" up to 24". My head is a bit wide but the helmet fit me well. I remember is some where 18cm in width base on me last measure. Will see how is the final size come at the end:)

I hope the price doesn't Break my Heart or my bank account

Ha… I hear you, please don't talk about any sale related in here. Is not the right time and right place at the moment.

Hope you enjoy my work:)

Here is my today progress, sharpen where the three groove join to.
22F5AA6F-18C1-47E8-B7FA-8804B6C4F8E9-1097-000000E18C6E3F1B_zps88d019de.jpg

And here is the all 3 pieces.
50FA6A64-975E-4A5D-911B-53D048398A86-1097-000000E43650C488_zps50c96f1b.jpg

That's it.

Last edited:

Any chance you would do a run of these for sale? I would definitely be interested in purchasing one.

Last edited:

You will do it unfold in pepakura? Look forward to your unfold, this will be a beautiful start.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back