Project 3: Kitt

KrangPrime

Master Member
Confirmed...
Where else do you go after building R2 and 3P0? A car....of course.

A Working Kitt dash is now being researched. I estimate the price of the Dash will be in easy reach. Around $2,000 including the scanner. a little more with front bumper.

For now, I plan to hang it up on what little wall space I have left. For the Future....well, we'll see how lucky I get...but I think buying a 1982-95 trans am would be a bit beyond my budget...

Currently doing research now. I have two options for a KITT Scanner. One is $256, that looks awesome. The other comes with metal, and has included sound effect, but costs $559's.

It looks like the Dash will cost around $600 (season 1/2). The Electronics could cost about $1400 (but those come pre-assembled).....all I'd have to to is wait for everything to come in, paint and assemble.

But if anyone can vouch for any of these websites, it'd make my ordering confidence that much higher :)

Lectric Enterprises - Knight Rider Dash Electronics and Scanner
..:: Knight Designs 2.0 - PRODUCTS ::..

Last edited:
OK,
I've put a deposit down on my first Dash Part, the Scanner. This one cost about 265 and has a 4 week wait time. So by April, it should be in my hands. down the line, I will order the higher end LCectric Scanner and Electronics. Problem is, that scanner apparently takes a year, and the electronics two!

I am also ordering a Rob Louisell Dash.
So, for all intents and purposes, Project Kitt has begun.
Anyone have a completed car in NJ I can see for inspiration? :)

i built a KARR replica in the early 1990's - and was a member of knight registries , foundation ,and a few other major knight rider websites , and am well known there and have a good rep . and know alot of guys there still -if you need any advice , contact me

100_1455.jpg

Has the price of a Trans Am gone up in the last 10 years? I had one in high school/college and I bought it for $1600. At the time, converting it would have cost me upwards of twice the cost of the car. Would have loved to do it, but when the engine died it was time to take it out back and shoot it.

i built a KARR replica in the early 1990's - and was a member of knight registries , foundation ,and a few other major knight rider websites , and am well known there and have a good rep . and know alot of guys there still -if you need any advice , contact me

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad110/vshocktrooper/100_1455.jpg

Awesome :) That would be the full dream one day :)

I may have just secured my dash. Would be confirmed if my credit card hadn't been lost and put on hold till i got a new one :)
Hopefully I'll have a season one dash being shipped to me next week!

Paid for my season one dash! With any luck, could be here early next week! YAY!
I REEEALLLY hope I don't have to wait two years for my electronics though. that will put a huge damper on things

I just have to inform that waiting time of Lectric Enterprises is quite long. Personally I have waited my scanner now 3,5 years. But the quality is superb so it should be worth it.

Here is pic of my KITT.
6366745.jpg

Attachments

• 20.02.2014 002.JPG
    20.02.2014 002.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 2,186
Here is a link to my build.

Here's a link to my thread on it.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/knight-riders-kitt-my-finished-replica-new-video-added-156309/

As others have said, any questions, please ask away! Lots of great guys in that hobby!

thanks for the heads up, will check it out!

I heard back from the Lectronics people. It seems like they sped up development, and I could have it in hand as early as 4 months! Having a completed dash by August would be pretty cool!

I'm going to bite the bullet and put in a payment for it next week. The Dash should be payed off by then ;o)

Just out of morbid curiosity, How much would a complete ground up over haul of a 1982 trans am cost, if say, I bought the car for $1200 on ebay and it was in decent shape?

Just out of morbid curiosity, How much would a complete ground up over haul of a 1982 trans am cost, if say, I bought the car for $1200 on ebay and it was in decent shape?

By "ground up," do you mean a frame off restoration? Because that could be up to $50k. Unless you don't mean to that extent. And that depends on the amount of stuff you do yourself. And how much you want to recycle or buy new. Parts for that car are plentiful and cheap though.

I remember looking into this several years ago. The site I found was Mark's Custom Kits in Florida. Never dealt with them, so I have no idea if they are reputable or not, but if I remember correctly, they were offering a complete turnkey solution for $45K if they had to supply the car. If you supplied the car, I think it was like $30K. That included completely stripping the car and getting everything restored, all body work done, etc., and completely decking it out with all electronics and custom pieces. I would love to do this someday, but the time and money is just not there right now.

I remember looking into this several years ago. The site I found was Mark's Custom Kits in Florida. Never dealt with them, so I have no idea if they are reputable or not, but if I remember correctly, they were offering a complete turnkey solution for $45K if they had to supply the car. If you supplied the car, I think it was like $30K. That included completely stripping the car and getting everything restored, all body work done, etc., and completely decking it out with all electronics and custom pieces. I would love to do this someday, but the time and money is just not there right now.

I remember that company from way back when. that would be the EASY solution. and I'd be the one to do finished electronic install. but like you, I only have enough to do a completed dash, not a full car. one day.

My dash should be shipping this week. I will be putting a payment on electronics next Wednesday.

My dash has shipped, yay! Should be here next Monday!

I've been told to hold off on light orders, since the person producing them is working on a few now. but will be placing an order for a complete set in the next month. If I get extremely lucky, maybe I can have a completed d ash by the end of the year :).

I am also looking for someone with a replica who lives near Cedar Knolls. Maybe we can have one stop by the office for a quick 20 minute visit as inspiration to do a complete car. Highly doubtful it will work, but couldn't hurt :). One guy who has an awesome car contacted me, but living in the pocono's is far tooo far a drive for so short a visit. I'd just be wasting alot of his time. Although because of his cars special turbine engine sound feature, it is one I'd love to see in person ;o).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back