Production Used Jaws Clapperboard?

The amount of fakes let us know that these are not mistakes. These aren’t sellers who bought these in other auctions and truly believed what they bought to be real, and are now selling off their collection.
These appear to be consigners who are Legitimately going out of their way to forge letters of authenticity, all in an attempt to fraud the public. In any other situation, like selling art in a gallery, this would be a crime and be investigated. The only question is: is Hetitage Auctions aware that it is happening, and complicit by ignoring the facts and looking the other way?
That's the big question, isn't it? I suspect they just don't care. I'm sure the "props" they're selling are just line items in a spreadsheet, and they don't think they have to do the work to authenticate them. It's easier to just catalog and sell, and not worry about it until the item gets called out enough. Even if a only a few "fakes" slip through and sell, they certainly made their money back, and can afford to deal with the returns.

I'm sure the fakers know this, as well.

There has to be something that someone can do to shut the fake ones down. Is there nobody to report this kind of fraud to, or is it just something we need to sit by and watch happen?

Now I see why so many collectors of original props hate the replica community and don’t want to share details of the originals. We often get mad at them for being secretive if they own the original, and angry that they don’t share detailed photos. But can we blame them? They are protecting their investments. The replicas are getting so good anymore that this was bound to happen. And when you suddenly have three or four fakes pop up, and an auction house is willing to sell it as original without doing any kind of research, the real true original suddenly loses value as more than one “real prop” are floating around and are easier to acquire.
This is precisely why I don't share detailed photos of my props, apart from what you can see in the auction listings. I have a screen used Jurassic Park cane, and will never share additional photos of it for this reason!

Added this pic of the hammer in the auction next to my hammer:

Attachments

• compared.jpg
    compared.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 123
Sure I did! I am talking to Bill Butler´s wife!!

View attachment 1505527
Any response about this? One hour left on this item and it is at $25,000.

They just pulled down the Shawshank Hammer as ssdesigner went back and forth with photos and finally got through to them. But this Jaws item is beyond fake, especially when Bill Butler, who the letter claims was involved with this piece, has debunked it.

Any response about this? One hour left on this item and it is at $25,000.

They just pulled down the Shawshank Hammer as ssdesigner went back and forth with photos and finally got through to them. But this Jaws item is beyond fake, especially when Bill Butler, who the letter claims was involved with this piece, has debunked it.
As of now, it's still up, but with a lower bid. I suspect that their software is taking a bit to update.

Tim Robbins _Andy Dufresne_ Hero Rock Hammer from The Shawshank _ Lot #89351 _ Heritage Auctio...png

Do we know if Bill Butler debunked the Jaws machete? It states it came from him, so I’m curious if he said it didn’t?

I noticed that many of the prices realized are real zingers, and that Joe has brought his Profiles magic with him, but a few stand out as crazy.

MGM Lion Heritage

To wit, the MGM lion Joe has in nearly all of his sales. You can buy this metal tidbit on eBay any day of the week for low hundreds. I think I paid $75 for mine. In several past PIH sales, it usually achieved $2300, or so. Crazy. But, when I saw the current one being offered as an 'executive' prize, I sent Joe a note:

Joe,

I thought I would share with you the origin of the MGM Leo figurines.

They date to 1928 when MGM launched Leo on his world wide tour, which was done in segments and lasted until 1934. After fits and starts with Model T's, they commissioned REO to adapt their Speedwagon chassis and ordered a custom bodied cage truck for the Leo(s) (their were several). His coach was modeled after circus wagons, but with more amenities. Accompanying him was the 'chase' truck, or advance PR center on wheels, that would enter town a week beforehand and set up what ballyhoo they could. One of the treats was handing out the Rehberger figurines. Theater owners got "YOUR LUCKY STAR" ones to promote MGM bookings, and the public got the more familiar "THE GREATEST STAR ON THE SCREEN". Note, in the image, that is stated on the truck. The newspaper announcements mentions the "bronze lions" near the end.

B.PNG

And, I included an image of the newspaper.

The lot was not rewritten, and today it sold for $15,000; an ordinary run of the mill publicly give away trinket. The image used, looks like Sam Eckman's desk, who was known for his fondness for lion statues, but I do not think the one shown is a Rehberger. Here is another view:

se.JPG

Last edited:
I noticed that many of the prices realized are real zingers, and that Joe has brought his Profiles magic with him, but a few stand out as crazy.

MGM Lion Heritage

To wit, the MGM lion Joe has in nearly all of his sales. You can buy this metal tidbit on eBay any day of the week for low hundreds. I think I paid $75 for mine. In several past PIH sales, it usually achieved $2300, or so. Crazy. But, when I saw the current one being offered as an 'executive' prize, I sent Joe a note:

Joe,

I thought I would share with you the origin of the MGM Leo figurines.

They date to 1928 when MGM launched Leo on his world wide tour, which was done in segments and lasted until 1934. After fits and starts with Model T's, they commissioned REO to adapt their Speedwagon chassis and ordered a custom bodied cage truck for the Leo(s) (their were several). His coach was modeled after circus wagons, but with more amenities. Accompanying him was the 'chase' truck, or advance PR center on wheels, that would enter town a week beforehand and set up what ballyhoo they could. One of the treats was handing out the Rehberger figurines. Theater owners got "YOUR LUCKY STAR" ones to promote MGM bookings, and the public got the more familiar "THE GREATEST STAR ON THE SCREEN". Note, in the image, that is stated on the truck. The newspaper announcements mentions the "bronze lions" near the end.

View attachment 1509849
And, I included an image of the newspaper.

The lot was not rewritten, and today it sold for $15,000; an ordinary run of the mill publicly give away trinket. The image used, looks like Sam Eckman's desk, who was known for his fondness for lion statues, but I do not think the one shown is a Rehberger. Here is another view:

View attachment 1509859
Did you get any response?

Yes, he thanked me for the information. There were other issues I pointed out to him; a few items were pulled and two were corrected.
For some reason this bit did not register. I wonder if the outrageous result might make him look at it again.

EPILOGUE: The JAWS clapper sold for $47,500 which, if it is the Prop Store offering from 2016, is less than half of that price realized and even a smaller percent of the one reported for $128,000 in 2018. I do not know if that is the same piece.

I would like to think that the reporting here, alerted folks to the issues of provenance, put forth by the Butlers and Reuben.

And, we should acknowledge these two items not selling:

Screenshot 2021-11-07 at 09-11-59 Heritage Auctions Search, 2021 November 4 - 7 Hollywood Ente...png

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back