process of foam filling a raw mask.

JoeSomebody369

Hey guys. I purchased a Predator bust which was casted in resin which i plan on painting the liquid latex from monstermakers over it and pulling off a raw mask from it. Now i was talking to Hez about his bio molding process and he mentioned that I would need to foam fill the raw mask. I tried doing a search but the results came up short with threads that didn't have anything to do with foam filling a mask. So I was hoping maybe someone would be able to help explain the process of foam filling a mask that i'm simply painting latex and pulling off a bust.

Hey guys. I purchased a Predator bust which was casted in resin which i plan on painting the liquid latex from monstermakers over it and pulling off a raw mask from it. Now i was talking to Hez about his bio molding process and he mentioned that I would need to foam fill the raw mask. I tried doing a search but the results came up short with threads that didn't have anything to do with foam filling a mask. So I was hoping maybe someone would be able to help explain the process of foam filling a mask that i'm simply painting latex and pulling off a bust.

I don't know if your aware of this or not but you will have some problems with this method of making a mask.
1. Painting the latex over another object will mute the details of the original.
2. Making a direct copy of someone else's work without their permission is considered by alot of people as recasting, something which all builders here are against, hence the recasters list.
You will get much more satisfying results by sculpting your own head or buying from a sculptor here, and there are many great artists here. The only other thing that may keep you out of the recasting fire is to take the bust, get some clay and sculpt new details onto it making it your own. Just a little food for thought.

yeah well I already bought a raw mask from someone on here and I'm reselling the bust once it arrives in the mail. It got shipped to me today and i didnt realize if you just simply painted latex over the bust you wouldn't get any detail from it but thats how you learn right from your mistakes. But yeah I wasn't planning on selling any in the first place but the process of actually getting detail from it is going to be to costly so screw it not worth the trouble. Time to start on the Bio mold though atleast i know everything i need to know for that -_-

Plus I didnt know that recasting was looked down on but I'm still pretty new here so still learning.

Recasting in any form is Recasting!! You are new here , are you new to mask and prop making?? We will assume you are because #1 painting latex over a resin bust will not give you a mask. Even taking someone else's hours and hours of hard work and adding a few different details and calling it your own ,IMO, is Recasting to a fairly good degree. Just some friendly advice.....don't stand on some one els'e shoulder's to accomplish what you want .You will end up with sore ankles and only a fraction of the skill you would get doing it your self. Fail 100 times and get it right on the 101st try and you will come out way ahead and skilled! Nobody is born knowing how to do this stuff, you hang around here long enough , ask some questions, follow some huntorials and how to threads and you will learn grasshopper.again just my opinion and some friendly advice.

Another reason this wouldn't work is because if you want to cast a latex mask, you need to use a rigid material, like Ultracal 30, to make a two-piece mold around the sculpture. But, if your sculpture is a resin bust, the plaster will mechanically lock into the undercuts in the resin. The only way to take the sculpture out of the mold is to pull the sculpture apart. That's difficult enough to do with clay (as I found out when I did my Sleestak mask a month and a half ago), but if your sculpture is a rigid plastic, you'll find it almost impossible.

Oh, and you won't be able to make a flexible mold, like a silicone mold, off the resin sculpture, and then cast latex in it. You'd have to cast a mother mold around the silicone, but even at that, I don't think you can cast liquid latex in a silicone mold.

If you haven't read up on latex mask making, this tutorial from The Monster Makers gives you the basic idea.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back