Problems with mold

Can it be fixed?

• Totally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boy your screwed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rhinoc1

So for a little over a month now I have been sculpting my Rhino Predator head. It was finally finished on friday and I started molding it that night, following all the advice I could find, added vaseline to seam on the front half so the two wouldnt stick.

The one problem I now have is that both parts are done, but they wont come off the sculpt! No matter how much I try the two pieces have either merged at the seam or somewhere else, I dont know! Does anyone have any tips on how I could get it off? I've tried a lot!

Thanks,
Rhinoc

Is there any way you can start prying the two halves apart? One thing I've done is to insert a sharp putty knife between the two halves of the mold, then start tapping at it with a small hammer until you start seeing the crack proceed up the dividing wall. You might need to think of yourself as an archaeologist carefully prying fossil bones from the rock they're encased in. Try not to push your putty knife all the way down to the clay, or else you might get into the detail layer.

If you work patiently, eventually you'll be able to get the two halves to separate. Then, you should be able to pry the two-part mold off the sculpture.

So for a little over a month now I have been sculpting my Rhino Predator head. It was finally finished on friday and I started molding it that night, following all the advice I could find, added vaseline to seam on the front half so the two wouldnt stick.

The one problem I now have is that both parts are done, but they wont come off the sculpt! No matter how much I try the two pieces have either merged at the seam or somewhere else, I dont know! Does anyone have any tips on how I could get it off? I've tried a lot!

Thanks,
Rhinoc

I am not the one to listen too really because I haven't done a pred head personally however, I have had similar events happen. Try to "chizzle" it out maybe, or use a softer object like a butter knife gently pry around the edges see if it breaks loose. without damaging your mold.

I am sure some of the more seasoned guys on the hobby would have a better suggestion.

I would try butter too it may help break it down a bit to loosen so you can force it off.

if you can get any amount of space inbetween you need to use shims of some type. and keep spacing them and adding to the thickness until it pops apart.
lots of screwdrivers and wood shims.

I'll get some up in a sec

EDIT: Ok using a butter knife and a hammer I was able to get the back off!!! It came off in a few pieces but I was prepared for that (What I was actually expecting since this is my first mold) The fixes should be finished soon and then I will get all the clay out of the front half! Thanks for the help guys, I'm pretty new to the forum (not to costuming though (gotta big rep on the 405th)) But as said this was my first mold and first sculpt. Really means a lot to me

i use those styrofoam heads as a main core armature.there bout 5 dollars a piece.wen i make my mold i just excavate the clay and styrofoam head out through the neck untill the two halfs pop apart...also next time wen you are making the mold try putting a 1/4 by 3/4 inch line of clay at the outter edge of the first half u already casted.then pour your second half of the mold as you normally would.when your other half of the mold cures remove this strip of clay(that should b at the outter edge of the mold so at this stage u can still see it and remove it)wuts left is a gap the u can grip onto and start prying apart rather than a pin hole gap.make sure your mold is thick and strong with burlap or sum reinforcment in it so its strong enuf to pry on.dont worry,itll pop!!

I'll get some up in a sec

EDIT: Ok using a butter knife and a hammer I was able to get the back off!!! It came off in a few pieces but I was prepared for that (What I was actually expecting since this is my first mold) The fixes should be finished soon and then I will get all the clay out of the front half! Thanks for the help guys, I'm pretty new to the forum (not to costuming though (gotta big rep on the 405th)) But as said this was my first mold and first sculpt. Really means a lot to me

I am glad it came off for you!

post some pics up looking forward to seeing your mask, Keep us updated Travis

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back