What does Matsuo owe you? (Problems with Matsuo)

Here is something else you can "I’m making note of who says what." Its a 6 years old thread and you still dont have a list of what you owe people? Really? People have to , after years of waiting contact you AGAIN to make claim to what you owe them? What a joke. I am betting you dont play these games with people when selling real guns. How about instead of making notes of what people on this site say you make notes of what you owe people?

If you want to "start a business" out of your passion (whether part time or full time) you should get training on how to run a business!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Lots of course on line; lots of people, in the real world, have done it and are very successful at it. It takes know-how, work, effort, customer service, quality product, taxes and payroll, accounting, human resources knowledge, etc, etc...Educating yourself is paramount here!

Here is something else you can "I’m making note of who says what." Its a 6 years old thread and you still dont have a list of what you owe people? Really? People have to , after years of waiting contact you AGAIN to make claim to what you owe them? What a joke. I am betting you dont play these games with people when selling real guns. How about instead of making notes of what people on this site say you make notes of what you owe people?

Playing devil's advocate: Some years ago, I had a hard drive die, and my webserver was stolen. I lost all of my customer records. Fortunately I only had one outstanding order, so I know who it was.

And on the flip side, I had an admin who was out to get me, and publicly posted asking anyone to come forward with their outstanding orders that they had against me... Of which they were none!

I'm not condoning Matsuo's behavior, but I will say that there have been more than a few sellers on here that have taken orders and money from people, and when things got tough they were never heard from again. Despite the negative attitude towards him, it appears he is trying to rebuild his reputation and fulfill some long outstanding issues. It takes guts to come back and face (virtually) angry members with outstanding orders.
If there is evidence that he's trying, at least give him an opportunity. A chance in getting something for your money is better than not getting anything at all.
I have no skin in this game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you will.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
People are ruthless and straight up mean. Yes, I am waiting as well.
Can’t wait to get my rifle. The wait will be worth it.

I'm not condoning Matsuo's behavior, but I will say that there have been more than a few sellers on her that have taken orders and money from people, and when things got tough they were never heard from again. Despite the negative attitude towards him, it appears he is trying to rebuild his reputation and fulfill some long outstanding issues. It takes guts to come back and face (virtually) angry members with outstanding orders.
If there is evidence that he's trying, at least give him an opportunity. A chance in getting something for your money is better than not getting anything at all.
I have no skin in this game, so take my opinion with a grain of salt if you will.

TazMan2000

To expand on this, I have spent thousands or tens of thousands on certain projects. Sometimes taking out loans, or using credit to get started into projects. When someone pays up for an item, they think that they give you their money, and that the money is like, sitting in an account. Or that you're $$$ richer, because they gave you the money. It's like they don't understand that the money you just handed over, immediately goes to paying for the debt that was started when the project began work. Your money is GONE the instant you paid up.

Or even when it comes to single commissions... When you pay someone for a single commission, they take your money, and buy the materials, and supplies that they need to make that item. Sometimes, if that purchase requires tools, they might have just spent more money than you paid them. That money, is likely GONE. They don't have it sitting around and handy to give it back promptly on demand.

To expand on this, I have spent thousands or tens of thousands on certain projects. Sometimes taking out loans, or using credit to get started into projects. When someone pays up for an item, they think that they give you their money, and that the money is like, sitting in an account. Or that you're $$$ richer, because they gave you the money. It's like they don't understand that the money you just handed over, immediately goes to paying for the debt that was started when the project began work. Your money is GONE the instant you paid up.

Or even when it comes to single commissions... When you pay someone for a single commission, they take your money, and buy the materials, and supplies that they need to make that item. Sometimes, if that purchase requires tools, they might have just spent more money than you paid them. That money, is likely GONE. They don't have it sitting around and handy to give it back promptly on demand.
And on the flip side.... I have also heard of people who didn't invest their own money upfront into supplies, they expect they will use the pre-sales for that. Often we hear of makers who have an idea in an interest thread, and they ask for funds to help them buy the materials to make the run. But as soon as the money arrives, they quickly use it to pay their mortgage, and other living expenses and rationalize that they will just fund the supplies another way. Then they find they cannot come up the money for said supplies, have to take other pre-sales or a real job to try and fund the supplies, which delays any chance of this project moving forward, and then they also do not have the funds to refund people. Now they are in a hole and they get scared and that is when they end up going silent and disappear, as they do not know how to explain how they got in this position.

AaronHorrocks & Moviefreak
No argument there.

I will point out, that nowadays with PayPal, anybody can start a business. Most likely, the same account is used for their day to day living expenses, online purchases, as is their 'business income'. So when difficulties in life hit (who doesn't have them?) you spend the money to the customer gives you, to get back on your feet, hoping that things will improve and you will get squared off soon.

I'm not saying it's right, its just a truth. We're no longer in an economy where a handshake seals the deal (even before Covid). Now we deal with faceless people and the transactions come right out of our account, not our wallets.

I guess my point is... it's too easy to start an online business today.

TazMan2000

I was with you on the first half. Someone can have the idea, the skills, and the ability, but not have the funds. And then use the presales as a way to fund the project. That's okay. That's the entire concept of the crowd-funding website 'Kickstarter'.

I haven't heard of anyone using replica prop project money for personal expenses before, like mortgage or what not, but I'm sure that's happened. For a short time period I was renting a room and garage from a person, who DIDN'T use my rent money to pay for the house. They instead used it for food, alcohol, and a maid, and a landscaper, etc... And then she got evicted, and I was a tenant like "WTF were you doing with my money?" and having to move out on an extremely short notice.

Sorry but since when does the cost of materials come close to the price tag of single commissions?, the majority of the money paid is for man hours and it is pretty dodgy business practice if expensive tools are getting bought out of the customers payment, the odd hand tool at a push maybe but if you haven’t got the tools then don’t do the job.
I never ask for full payment and even if I’m pushed into it the money sits in my PayPal account until the job is finished, I’ve never known an industry where so many customers get ripped off left ,right and centre..

Last edited:
Matsuo I'll ping you on FB too.

* HCG Alu PR shroud set [milled to fit airsoft PR base] - final payment made in January 2016 [PP Transaction ID # 16A42344F0858310F]
* LOP Butt Plate Assembly
* SG metal drum covers [x2]
* MTV tshirt

Sorry but since when does the cost of materials come close to the price tag of single commissions?, the majority of the money paid is for man hours and it is pretty dodgy business practice if expensive tools are getting bought out of the customers payment, the odd hand tool at a push maybe but if you haven’t got the tools then don’t do the job.
I never ask for full payment and even if I’m pushed into it the money sits in my PayPal account until the job is finished, I’ve never known an industry where so many customers get ripped off left ,right and centre..things need to change drastically before all prop builders get tarred with the same brush.
"If you don't have the tools, then don't do the job"
This creates and atmosphere where you're asking for prop makers to be 100% ready for a project before taking it on. Everything has to be paid out of pocket. This means less people making stuff, and delays of YEARS before people come "on line" to make stuff. Which really only hurts the consumer. You're edging out the small prop maker, and instead, making demands, and setting expectations, that only larger licensed prop companies can follow.

Asking for a full payment in advance is easier than asking for a deposit, and then an extra payment after the fact. This adds extra billing, extra processing, and wasted time. And again, it's better that the small time shop gets as much capital up front to pay for costs.

The "customers getting ripped off left and right" is a problem with two sides. On one side we have prop makers that are trying to take on projects that they have the ability to do, if they just had the financing.... and the other side is the customers with expectations that are unrealistic for dealing with individual or small prop shops. It creates a toxic environment that destroys the replica prop market. And I'm of the opinion that more blame and responsibility is on the part of the customer - because, they create the atmosphere that can make or break a start up, regardless of the startup's skills, abilities, and capabilities.

Still here, delivered some really old orders in the past couple weeks, soooo... Still working on backorders. Not hiding or running.
I'm not going to address individual points above and throughout. Yet know I've read them all and take my comeuppance where due.
Only way to get out from under the dogpile is to dig myself out like the stubborn person I am.

Still here, delivered some really old orders in the past couple weeks, soooo... Still working on backorders. Not hiding or running.
I'm not going to address individual points above and throughout. Yet know I've read them all and take my comeuppance where due.
Only way to get out from under the dogpile is to dig myself out like the stubborn person I am.
Sent you a PM Matsuo.

This is my very first post here. Hopefully not my last. I found many excellent replica props by lurking on these forums since circa 2010. Got in touch with some awesome people, and even met some IRL.

This forum is also how I heard about Matsuo. Saw his excellent work on other websites, like deviantART, Facebook and his own website. Decided to contact him. I guess I never actually took the time to browse these forums throughly because, had I known about about this particular topic, I would've never went ahead with it.

I've been painstakingly working on a Blade (1998) costume since 2017, thanks to a few people I was able to track down on this very forum. It hasn't been an easy endeavor, with sourcing everything and such. The costume is done in great detail and includes every outfit worn in the movie. And every prop imaginable.

I contacted Matsuo to design a MAC-11 airsoft gun for said costume back in 2018. Per his request, I sent a down-payment of US$272.67. I get that's not nearly as high as some of the rest of you paid, but principle is principle. Matter of fact, Matsuo's own ToS on his PayPal invoice mentioned the item being made within six months and final payment being due then.

Of course, we're now in June 2021 and Matsuo's last message is from September 2019, saying he was still sorting things out. All of my numerous emails have gone unanswered.

I get that his daughter is sick. When that was mentioned to me, I was flexible and gave the man space. In my line of work, telling my clients that I had a death in the family and that I had to grieve for a few days was met with a "f#@% that funeral."

What do I get for giving Matsuo space? Being ignored? Money aside, this is pure disrespect. It's appalling. And that some of you are defending this behavior is quite honestly baffling to me. This would never be accepted in any kind of line of work, period.

Of course, Matsuo's inability to even respond to me has been the reason why the project is delayed and there are bad tensions. And why the project may end up cancelled altogether. The MAC-11 is a centerpiece; holster needs to be made following its exact size, and that's been stalling for 3 years.

And to make things worse? Airsoft is about to be outlawed where I'm from, so I couldn't even import this if Matsuo put it at the very top of his very long list.

Last edited:
This is my very first post here. Hopefully not my last. I found many excellent replica props by lurking on these forums since circa 2010. Got in touch with some awesome people, and even met some IRL.

This forum is also how I heard about Matsuo. Saw his excellent work on other websites, like deviantART, Facebook and his own website. Decided to contact him. I guess I never actually took the time to browse these forums throughly because, had I known about about this particular topic, I would've never went ahead with it.

I've been painstakingly working on a Blade (1998) costume since 2017, thanks to a few people I was able to track down on this very forum. It hasn't been an easy endeavor, with sourcing everything and such. The costume is done in great detail and includes every outfit worn in the movie. And every prop imaginable.

I contacted Matsuo to design a MAC-11 airsoft gun for said costume back in 2018. Per his request, I sent a down-payment of US$272.67. I get that's not nearly as high as some of the rest of you paid, but principle is principle. Matter of fact, Matsuo's own ToS on his PayPal invoice mentioned the item being made within six months and final payment being due then.

Of course, we're now in June 2021 and Matsuo's last message is from September 2019, saying he was still sorting things out. All of my numerous emails have gone unanswered.

I get that his daughter is sick. When that was mentioned to me, I was flexible and gave the man space. In my line of work, telling my clients that I had a death in the family and that I had to grieve for a few days was met with a "f#@% that funeral."

What do I get for giving Matsuo space? Being ignored? Money aside, this is pure disrespect. It's appalling. And that some of you are defending this behavior is quite honestly baffling to me. This would never be accepted in any kind of line of work, period.

Of course, Matsuo's inability to even respond to me has been the reason why the project is delayed and there are bad tensions. And why the project may end up cancelled altogether. The MAC-11 is a centerpiece; holster needs to be made following its exact size, and that's been stalling for 3 years.

And to make things worse? Airsoft is about to be outlawed where I'm from, so I couldn't even import this if Matsuo put it at the very top of his very long list.
I lost control of the email I was using for our correspondence. Please email me at matt@matsucorp.com

I’d just like to add to my earlier comment/response..
I was probably a little harsh with the finger wagging, no one knows what situations life is going to throw at us and this in turn can cause a snowball effect…I am in no way condoning prop builders/sellers who go out of their way to **** customers over.
I sincerely hope Matt can get back on track with back orders and such and his customers be made whole…and everyone can then sit around a camp fire and sing songs.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back