Problem with wood glue cracking on EVA foam

korigirl

I bought some wood glue (specifically Titebond) to seal my eva foam since Elmer’s white glue was taking too many coats (which equals too much time). I am spraying the sealed eva foam with plasti-dip because in my experience, the plasti-dip looks better if the foam is already sealed somewhat.

The problem is that the wood glue is absolutely inflexible. If the foam bends, it cracks . It’s definitely the glue cracking and not the plasti-dip + spray paint applied afterwards. This is fine for pieces that I know won’t flex, but I have pieces that I know WILL need to flex. What is my best solution? I have not been a fan of the modge podge sealant as the brush stroke drive me bonkers. Also, it takes several layers as well as the Elmers glue. I love the strength the wood glue gives the foam.

If I add more water to the wood glue, would that help? At the moment, I am adding little water to the glue as to keep it pretty strong.

I bought some wood glue (specifically Titebond) to seal my eva foam since Elmer’s white glue was taking too many coats (which equals too much time). I am spraying the sealed eva foam with plasti-dip because in my experience, the plasti-dip looks better if the foam is already sealed somewhat.

The problem is that the wood glue is absolutely inflexible. If the foam bends, it cracks . It’s definitely the glue cracking and not the plasti-dip + spray paint applied afterwards. This is fine for pieces that I know won’t flex, but I have pieces that I know WILL need to flex. What is my best solution? I have not been a fan of the modge podge sealant as the brush stroke drive me bonkers. Also, it takes several layers as well as the Elmers glue. I love the strength the wood glue gives the foam.

If I add more water to the wood glue, would that help? At the moment, I am adding little water to the glue as to keep it pretty strong.

If you're willing to go a little more on the expensive end, I have had some amazing results with something from Home Depot, which is basically epoxy resin.

The stuff brushes on and looks nice and shiny and can be sanded/painted over. It is like $25 for two bottles (it is part A and part B) that lasts quite a while.

I'll see if I can find the link.

If you're willing to go a little more on the expensive end, I have had some amazing results with something from Home Depot, which is basically epoxy resin.

The stuff brushes on and looks nice and shiny and can be sanded/painted over. It is like $25 for two bottles (it is part A and part B) that lasts quite a while.

I'll see if I can find the link.

Do you use the epoxy resin and then cover with plasti-dip or just go straight to the spray painting (or whatever method of paint you use)?

I looked at the epoxy resin's at Lowe's last week, so I'm interested to see if you can find a link. I saw a two part mix but the bottles were tiny, so it didn't seem practical. How many coats do you use? It flexes well or well-ish?

Do you use the epoxy resin and then cover with plasti-dip or just go straight to the spray painting (or whatever method of paint you use)?

I looked at the epoxy resin's at Lowe's last week, so I'm interested to see if you can find a link. I saw a two part mix but the bottles were tiny, so it didn't seem practical. How many coats do you use? It flexes well or well-ish?

Rust-Oleum Parks 1-Qt. Gloss Super Glaze Finish and Preservative-241352 at The Home Depot

this is the stuff I used. Here is a pic of me bending it on foam

I put two coats on my helmet and it was solid but also had some flex. This stuff doens't crack at all, even put over cracked wall putty.

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/tron-rinzler-costume-wip-imag0365.jpg-235836d1380055463

oh yea, I put two full coats on my helmet and didnt eveb use a lot at all, literally have 90% left.

Rust-Oleum Parks 1-Qt. Gloss Super Glaze Finish and Preservative-241352 at The Home Depot

I put two coats on my helmet and it was solid but also had some flex. This stuff doens't crack at all, even put over cracked wall putty.

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/tron-rinzler-costume-wip-imag0365.jpg-235836d1380055463

oh yea, I put two full coats on my helmet and didnt eveb use a lot at all, literally have 90% left.

Very intriguing. It seems kind of overkill for just sealing the foam. It does, however, seem very useful to use on top of your paint to give it a nice top coat and shine (and strength).

hmmmm

i know this is an old thread but has anyone else tried this? I'm curious and looking to find a flexible sealer for Eva foam. I tried gorilla wood glue and it looks great after plastidipped but if I bend the piece you can see wrinkles under the plastidip which I guess means the glue cracked.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back