Printing fake money

Kennyd

Legal ways obviously.
Any tips for creating large sums of cash, such as a briefcase full of money ?

Do you use special paper, miss out parts of the printing to stay legal, any tips ?

as above - ebay has loads all pre printed even in the uk - think you pay for a set amount of wads tho so id imagine a big briefcase to fill will cost a good few quid

Old newspapers, cut to size with a fake bill on the top and bottom will work for movie making purposes. I've seen it done before, but you just can't have your actors "fan" through the stacks of bills or the illusion is ruined. You can also get $50 or $100 bill wraps at your local bank for free.

If you want your actor to fan through a few piles in a scene; just copy a real $100 with a piece of paper across the middle, so there is a white stripe across the bill to make it kosher with the Feds. Do this to the copies, front and back. Make a bunch of the ersatz Benjies to fill up the stack; then put the real Hunney on top to sell the wad as real. The actor can flip through the pile in a close-up. The rest of the stacks in the case or box can be chopped up newspapers with one of the copies on top with the $100 wrapper covering the white center stripe.

If you want your actor to fan through a few piles in a scene; just copy a real $100 with a piece of paper across the middle, so there is a white stripe across the bill to make it kosher with the Feds. Do this to the copies, front and back. Make a bunch of the ersatz Benjies to fill up the stack; then put the real Hunney on top to sell the wad as real. The actor can flip through the pile in a close-up. The rest of the stacks in the case or box can be chopped up newspapers with one of the copies on top with the $100 wrapper covering the white center stripe.

I know someone who tried this method for exactly this prop to put on display, but found he was unable to print them, even with a band missing, this is due to most modern (Last 10 years) printer firmware being written to recognise the patterns (Special algorithms) and unique colours of banknotes and your machine will most likely refuse to print unless they are oversize by 3/1 or thereabouts. It will probably stop just after printing 3-4 lines and will refer you to 'rules for use.org' where they will tell you not to be naughty and what rules to follow.:angel

P.S. Its says on the US MINT site that its illegal to print ANY us note old or modern in colour unless its oversize and even then, only one side can be printed with a genuine banknote design. Its much less hassle buying prop notes off Fleabay. Unless you want to design your own that is.
I would just buy some if its for a one off use, you dont want the Feds/Plods kicking down your door at four in the morning..:behave

I was told that there is some sort of code imprinted on the new bills that they cannot even be photocopied. One person told me that there was a pattern in the stars on the face, but that turned out to be wrong. I just took old bills from 15-20 years ago, scanned them in my computer, and modified them, making sure that they said "not legal tender" on both sides, and on the back I put "for motion picture use only" along the bottom.

I know someone who tried this method for exactly this prop to put on display, but found he was unable to print them, even with a band missing, this is due to most modern (Last 10 years) printer firmware being written to recognise the patterns (Special algorithms) and unique colours of banknotes and your machine will most likely refuse to print unless they are oversize by 3/1 or thereabouts. It will probably stop just after printing 3-4 lines and will refer you to 'rules for use.org' where they will tell you not to be naughty and what rules to follow.:angel

I was told that there is some sort of code imprinted on the new bills that they cannot even be photocopied. One person told me that there was a pattern in the stars on the face, but that turned out to be wrong. I just took old bills from 15-20 years ago, scanned them in my computer, and modified them, making sure that they said "not legal tender" on both sides, and on the back I put "for motion picture use only" along the bottom.

I think they are referring to the "EURion constellation." You can find out more about it online.

I just copied a five and ten that had this "EURion Constellation" with 3 different copiers of 3 different manufacturers on "Best Photo" or their equivalent, copied just fine.

It's a neat feature that i didn't know about. Too bad it didn't work, I wanted to see that error message!

I just copied a five and ten that had this "EURion Constellation" with 3 different copiers of 3 different manufacturers on "Best Photo" or their equivalent, copied just fine.

It's a neat feature that i didn't know about. Too bad it didn't work, I wanted to see that error message!

I only became aware of the message/security thingy when someone told me, maybe its only some printers that do it, I honestly dont think its a good idea to be printing currency at all unless it falls under the terms allowed. Just buy prop cash off Ebay.

haha that's so cool. Finally got it when I tried to scan via photoshop like Brody suggested. I don't think I've ever been so excited to see an error message. Also, it seemed to have locked up PS; dunno if it's a coincidence or by design.

yes, now i see it too. incredible that some scanners and photocopiers will do that, and others wont. i have heard that there are some DVD drives for computers that refuse to copy any DVD's, if you try to do that, supposed to be SONY drives, but i never found any that would do that. incredible things that the rich do to protect there money.

At the end of the day it's all software implementation, which can be manipulated and changed. But it's easier to just buy the fake bills than to try and print them yourself. Probably cheaper, too.
You'd need alot of paper for a briefcase full.

I've heard of a special fx standard for Hollywood and I wonder if this bill design could be downloaded somewhere. Sure would be convenient :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back