Batman Collectibles

Ron

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If you get the Hot Toys 89 Keaton or even the Sideshow Premium Format, it will save you a bundle and they look damned good. I love this character as much as the next guy, but almost 3k plus shipping for a couple of statues is just nuts.

Oh they're definitely getting nuts on the pricing. I guess that's keeping in spirit with Keaton's Bruce Wayne :lol:

Seriously, it seemed like a lot and reading comments from the veteran collectors, they all agree it's a lot. I think Prime 1 knows that fans have been wanting an '89 Batman for a LONG time and they figure a lot of collectors are going to pay the premium even if begrudgingly. I personally would NEVER preorder this statue. We don't know if the production units are going to look this good. The sculpt is awesome but the paint application is what makes these figures. It's way too much money to gamble on a preorder of an unseen product. And even if the end product looks this good, that's still a high price. Then again, I know the Weta Lord of the Rings statues have gone up considerably. Things are just getting expensive I guess.

Funny you mention the Hot Toys 89 because I'm sure you're aware it's getting reissued so if anyone is thinking of selling theirs, do it now. What I really want to see is them reissue the 1/6 scale 89 Batmobile. They're about to release a new BTTF Delorean so I'm guessing if an 89 Batman is on the way, an 89 Batmobile is not far behind.

There's also a 1/3 scale 89 Batman in the works from Darkside Studio. So, there's options out there. Definitely a wait and see.

Ron - thanks for the good summary of 89 stuff! I'm curious if you have seen any pics of the Darkside Studio 1/3 scale? I poked around after I saw the Prime1 announcement and came up dry. I'm interested to see what they're planning to offer. I also have my fingers crossed for a re-issue of the 1/6 89 Batmobile (though where I would put such a beast remains to be seen).

Ron - thanks for the good summary of 89 stuff! I'm curious if you have seen any pics of the Darkside Studio 1/3 scale? I poked around after I saw the Prime1 announcement and came up dry. I'm interested to see what they're planning to offer. I also have my fingers crossed for a re-issue of the 1/6 89 Batmobile (though where I would put such a beast remains to be seen).
Yeah, I couldn't find anything other than a teaser video when I first looked too. But here it is...

It's only a mock-up so far. I don't know when they're going to release a prototype.

I was pleasantly surprised to see they also have a Reeve Superman statue in the works. That's another one I've been interested in.

Getting the 1:6 Hot Toys '89 Keaton Bats, plus fan-mod better-draping cape, will get you basically the same level quality as this statue, and it can be posed an innumerable amount of ways with all its accessories for one tenth of the cost of this.

Personally, I waited on a figure like their Nicholson Joker forever and when that came out, I jumped on that immediately. It still isn't the best figure they've ever done nor the best Nicholson Joker out there, which really irks me considering how many versions of their TDK Heath Joker and Iron Man's exist, but it's still the best version out there with all its inaccuracies. Unfortunately.

Well, I think most of the prime 1 stuff is a little bit overpriced... Not a big Statue or figure collector, but as a not so great batman Fan, I think the neca 1/4 figure will find its way one day in my home...

Oh they're definitely getting nuts on the pricing. I guess that's keeping in spirit with Keaton's Bruce Wayne :lol:

Seriously, it seemed like a lot and reading comments from the veteran collectors, they all agree it's a lot. I think Prime 1 knows that fans have been wanting an '89 Batman for a LONG time and they figure a lot of collectors are going to pay the premium even if begrudgingly. I personally would NEVER preorder this statue. We don't know if the production units are going to look this good. The sculpt is awesome but the paint application is what makes these figures. It's way too much money to gamble on a preorder of an unseen product. And even if the end product looks this good, that's still a high price. Then again, I know the Weta Lord of the Rings statues have gone up considerably. Things are just getting expensive I guess.

Funny you mention the Hot Toys 89 because I'm sure you're aware it's getting reissued so if anyone is thinking of selling theirs, do it now. What I really want to see is them reissue the 1/6 scale 89 Batmobile. They're about to release a new BTTF Delorean so I'm guessing if an 89 Batman is on the way, an 89 Batmobile is not far behind.

There's also a 1/3 scale 89 Batman in the works from Darkside Studio. So, there's options out there. Definitely a wait and see.
Batmobile was shown today along with the reissued figure.

Welp, allow me to complicate things...

I have the 89 first release, but after reading above, I’m hunting for an aftermarket cape…

For SOME REASON I feel the need to put him back on the shelf….

I have the 89 first release, but after reading above, I’m hunting for an aftermarket cape…

For SOME REASON I feel the need to put him back on the shelf….
I'm not at all familiar with the custom figure aftermarket but one name I saw pop up in reading about it is Jaxon Xu. He seems to be a go-to for cape upgrades. This site sells them:

Ron - custom figure aftermarket!?!?!? Oh, no! Hide my wallet, hide my wallet!
17022023114932.jpg

Welp, allow me to complicate things...

How does this company along with MYC get away with churning out these very high end products without a license? Yes I am aware alot of people make stuff outside of having licenses for it. But the dollar amount along with the open selling of their products makes me wonder. There is no way I would pre order from a company that states on their own webpage that they often have to push back ship dates, who also happens to not have a license to sell their items to begin with. If WB or Disney decided to issue a c&d to either of these companies there goes your money.
My buddy has bought a ton of MYC's products with the thought that eventually they will be out of business due to the lack of a license.
It just seems like a huge risk to the companies and to their customers.

How does this company along with MYC get away with churning out these very high end products without a license? Yes I am aware alot of people make stuff outside of having licenses for it. But the dollar amount along with the open selling of their products makes me wonder. There is no way I would pre order from a company that states on their own webpage that they often have to push back ship dates, who also happens to not have a license to sell their items to begin with. If WB or Disney decided to issue a c&d to either of these companies there goes your money.
My buddy has bought a ton of MYC's products with the thought that eventually they will be out of business due to the lack of a license.
It just seems like a huge risk to the companies and to their customers.
I wondered at first but no, they do indeed have a license with WB. They also recently acquired a license from Universal. I'm not sure if they're licensed for the Star Wars dioramas though I don't know if you actually need it for those. I assume you do. They are making a Snow speeder so they must have one. They should also have a license from Sony being that he sells a 1/6 Homecoming Vulture figure.

As far as preordering, I guess that's a chance you take with any smaller company. They've already released the '66 and Justice League Batmobiles and The Batman Batmobile is shipping later this year. I think the Bat-Wing is made to order. So, they do come through.

The owner, Joost (pronounced "Yost") is really cool. He does a lot of interviews and is constantly updating on his progress. In fact, he encourages feedback on his designs and if anyone can offer production references. If someone points out a mistake in his design, he'll fix it.

There's a lot of vehicles he wants to make. I mentioned he already acquired the Universal license. He plans on making KITT and maybe some Jurassic Park vehicles. He would love to make a Delorean but since Hot Toys just released theirs, he's going to hold off for now.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back