"Price is no object" Jedi attire?

TeeJayHoward

I'm looking to build a Jedi outfit similar to Qui-Gon Jinn's clothes in Episode 1. (Brown robe, boots, and pants, light tan Obi) I'd like a full outfit, tailored to my body, to be delivered before Episode 7 comes out. Money's not really an issue, but I'd feel bad spending more than a grand on the getup (sans lightsaber). My problem is that I don't know where to start! I'm not really interested in doing the costuming work myself. I can't sew for beans. I like the dirty, worn, used look of the movie props. Most pictures I see of Jedi cosplayers are just "too clean" if that makes any sense.

Who makes good stuff, who makes great stuff, and where should I stay away from?

I sent off an email with a couple questions.
Has anyone here dealt with Twin Roses before personally? If so, how long does it generally take to get a response? It's a while now since I sent the email and I've not heard back.

edit: And now I feel like a jerk. I found out that they have a facebook page, and sent a message... Said message was seen at 4:19AM. If they've got Facebook messenger on their phone, I may have just woken them from a sound sleep. Oops.

Last edited:
'You must learn patience' ... sorry I could not resist ... good luck in getting your jedi outfit made :)

Chaim

The email delay with Twin Roses makes me worry a little. I fired off an email to speedystitches just now, asking if they do custom work. Apparently Twin Roses is taking a break from shoulder tucked robes, and is 12 weeks out on delivery thanks to the Halloween rush! Super busy gal, but very nice in the one response I did get. Shame, because her work looks amazing. I still might end up going with her. I'm certainly impressed. It's just that it's getting to the point where the first person to respond's going to get a lot of cash thrown at them. I want to get this started!

Things I've learned that I want:
Satin/silk/something slippery lining the inside of the sleeves on the outer tunic
Crinkle gauze, layered multiple times to prevent "see-through"
Shoulder tucks on both the outer tunic and the robe
A melton wool robe that falls to within an inch or two of the floor
Rucked sleeves on the inner tunic, also made of crinkle cotton gauze
Tabards that fall correctly

I've also switched over to wanting to do Obi-Wan's outfit from Ep1 instead of Qui-Gon's. I realized I can't grow my hair out that fast! Some great reference photos available online, too!

Last edited:
My robe just touches the floor at times ... so 2 inch of is quite a lot if you'd ask me ... remember wearing your OB1 boots when giving the height of you for the future robe :)

Chaim

I got a mail back from the lady at speedystitches. She said no to my custom order request. The lady at Twin Roses still hasn't responded to my second email. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do now. A friend's wife is the crafty type. Maybe I'll see if she'll accept a commission to produce what I want.

That would be even smarter because you can show her pictures and sketches what you like in person in stead of relaying all your details in emails back and forth which is quite cumbersume and perhaps rather difficult when dealing with a custom design and availability of all the fabrics you mentioned and prefere ... so when I approached an ebay couturier back in 2007 in Germany ... all I requsted was a heavier wool like fabric in aubergine color ... I left the design of the robe up to her and she had it finished and delivered at my doorstep just one day before I had to leave for London :

Chaim

I have used Twin Roses in the past (this year and last). Andrea from Twin Roses was pleasant to deal with, but a custom job like this she usually shied away from. For my requests, she only seemed to work in the fabrics she had on hand, or could get printed through a service like spoon flower. The last tunic I received, I had done in a medium weight linen. I gave them my measurements, and it showed up. The tunic was like a 3xl or 4xl. I wear a s-m. I have a sewing machine and took it in myself, because the response time was a bit slow. Overall I have been happy with the service, but if you are looking for a custom tunic set in crinkle cotton, you may want to get someone close to work on it, or someone who does crinkle cotton sets.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back