Preventing SmoothCast 300 From Sticking To Wood

Rebelscum

Sr Member
I need to be able to prevent SmoothCast 300 from sticking to wood.

Something besides using Silicone, which is adjacent to the wood, but sometimes the casting touches the wood during a pour and I need to get it off easily.

Anybody know how to do this?

Just remember to use paste wax from the can and NOT from a bottle. Old skool paste wax. Johnson's in the yellow can is one of the better brands. Cheap dollar store stuff can work but its flaky and those flakes can ruin a project if it gets on the surface of the mold or into the material your pouring.

Second you can use petroleum jelly but again that can cause issues if the material gets a good taste of it.

Just remember to use paste wax from the can and NOT from a bottle. Old skool paste wax. Johnson's in the yellow can is one of the better brands. Cheap dollar store stuff can work but its flaky and those flakes can ruin a project if it gets on the surface of the mold or into the material your pouring.

Second you can use petroleum jelly but again that can cause issues if the material gets a good taste of it.

Yup, I use regular old Johnsons paste wax on all my tool surfaces so boards glide on them easily. Great stuff. Last can I bought I had trouble finding it. In the end, I found it at the grocery store, with the Pledge and stuff.

Testing update.

I put two coats of Johnson's paste wax on the plywood. Poured some 300 on it and let it cure. Pulls right off, no problem.

thanks for the help guys.

Challenge 90 makes for a great universal release agent as well. Since it comes in a liquified form you can use it in those cheap 7$ aerosol sprayers from Lowes or Home Depot. Seems to be a little more economical than some of the Mann products I've used before.

An alternative to wax that I use for MDF and Wood all the time is simple Vasaline just smear it all over the surface and then hit it with a heat gun and buff off any puddles while hot, when heated it melts and soaks right into the MDF/Wood so you don't have a greasy surface, or at least it doesn't feel like a greasy surface...

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back