Preventing rust on an authentic #3 grenade

Prometheus

My authentic #3 grenade has achieved enough rust for that weathered look and i am going to slow down the rusting process.
What kind of lubricant should one use?
Can one of those silicone based lubricant for airsoft guns be used? Will it eat through steel?

You could use plain old gun oil. But anything you use, the grenade will always be oily or slick. I think your best option is to seal it in a clear coat.

-Fred

Yep, clear coat. Remember that you'll get a better finish with several light layers rather than a few thick ones.

You could try something called top coat, it's used for table saws, jointer planers and the like to keep the beds from rusting. It shouldn't leave any kind of oily surface but you'll need to re-apply it from time to time I believe.

There is a material called Rennaisance Wax, a micro-crystalline wax that is used by museums to prevent oxidation on items like medieval armor and weapons. A lot of sword owners use it. You can buy it on eBay, it's not expensive.

Originally posted by Lanboy@Feb 1 2006, 11:01 AM
There is a material called Rennaisance Wax, a micro-crystalline wax that is used by museums to prevent oxidation on items like medieval armor and weapons.  A lot of sword owners use it.  You can buy it on eBay, it's not expensive.
[snapback]1173447[/snapback]​

I did a few searches, and I'm seeing a lot good reviews of Renaissance Wax. I may need to track some down and try it. Thanks for the tip.

I'd take a wire brush to it right now, to remove as much rust as you can. (I did to mine) ;) And replace that with brown acrylic paint for the effect (if you want it to appear rusted).

Then coat it or let it weather naturally.

Originally posted by ob1al@Feb 2 2006, 09:33 AM
Doesn't a little WD40 help prevent rust?
[snapback]1174124[/snapback]​

WD40 breaks down rust. It'll make his grenade look new again. Only in this hobby is that a bad thing.

We have got to be the only people who spend good money on new things and then find ways to make them look old and crappy :lol.

-Fred

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back