Want to Buy Pressure pot in Canada

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Bigturc

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,
Hopefully someone can help me here .. Since I'm doing more and more casting and molds, I figured it would be a good time to check to buy a pressure pot!

Anyone knows of good product in Canada? I don't wanna import through customs, shipping and duties will kill me!!

I've seen paint pot and was wondering if that was a good idea for silicone and resin?

I'm in Montreal by the way!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Bigturc

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, small update for those who would watch this. Another RPFer directed me to these tanks on Amazon.ca again. I have no idea why I didn't find them when I first searched .. probably the wrong search keywords:

GRIZZLY 2-1/2 gal. Paint Tank w/ Gauges (10L -- 45PSI MAX)
http://grizzly.com/products/2-1-2-gal-Paint-Tank-w-Gauges/H6329
GRIZZLY price: $129.95
http://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-H6329-Paint--Gauges-37288-Gallon/dp/B0007D2D7I
Amazon price: $195$

GRIZZLY 20 Liter Auto Mixing Paint Tank (20-30 PSI)
http://grizzly.com/products/20-Liter-Auto-Mixing-Paint-Tank/H8226
GRIZZLY price: $189
http://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-H8226-Mixing-Paint-20-Liter/dp/B006SJJYRW
Amazon price: $137$

Although from what I'm reading, 25-30 PSI wouldn't be enough for the molding/casting application?

UPDATE: There is definitely something wrong with the price on Amazon.ca .. That should be more like 250-300$ based on everywhere else on the internet and Grizzly's own website ... I should buy this as soon as a pro tells me it's a good deal!

Last edited:

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What about a chamber like this? Is a transparent lid the way to go to check what's going on in there when degassing silicone for example?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JWQLU48/

Yes, this is a vacuum chamber to take air out. You need something to put air in.... well you actually want both.

You mix the silicone or resin, then stick it in the vacuum pot to suck the air out. Once it stops bubbling, take it out of here and pour it in the mold. Then you take the mod and put it into the pressure pot to take any remaining bubbles and compress them to microscopic sizes until the resin cures and locks them at this size.

This is the way to get castings that are nice and strong, bubble free and awesome. I'm on this path right now as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention, that deal from amazon.ca is outstanding for a 20l.

The same thing from amazon.com is $240...

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ok, small update for those who would watch this. Another RPFer directed me to these tanks on Amazon.ca again. I have no idea why I didn't find them when I first searched .. probably the wrong search keywords:

GRIZZLY 2-1/2 gal. Paint Tank w/ Gauges (10L -- 45PSI MAX)
http://grizzly.com/products/2-1-2-gal-Paint-Tank-w-Gauges/H6329
GRIZZLY price: $129.95
http://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-H6329-Paint--Gauges-37288-Gallon/dp/B0007D2D7I
Amazon price: $195$

GRIZZLY 20 Liter Auto Mixing Paint Tank (20-30 PSI)
http://grizzly.com/products/20-Liter-Auto-Mixing-Paint-Tank/H8226
GRIZZLY price: $189
http://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-H8226-Mixing-Paint-20-Liter/dp/B006SJJYRW
Amazon price: $137$

Although from what I'm reading, 25-30 PSI wouldn't be enough for the molding/casting application?

UPDATE: There is definitely something wrong with the price on Amazon.ca .. That should be more like 250-300$ based on everywhere else on the internet and Grizzly's own website ... I should buy this as soon as a pro tells me it's a good deal!

The more I look at this pot on canadian amazon the more I need it. Even with shipping it is 50% cheaper than I can find something similar.

I now need to get someone in canada to act as middle man for me!

If I was you, I would buy this right away. Grizzly is a great brand and this is a steal of a deal.

Bigturc

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I agree I'll order mine later tonight or tomorrow!!

Dday I have no problem helping you out and order a second one for you! Confirm this and PM me so we can work out the logic!

Last edited:

Bigturc

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well .. I've ordered the damn pot!!! I just went there, and instead of being 137$ .. it was down at 117$ .. I have NO idea what's going on there .. but it's definitely worth it!! I see people paying 260$ USD for this!!

Total for the 20L is 137$ CAD tx and shipping included. That's the equivalent of about 27$ USD! :)) lol

TheRocketeer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You ended up ordering the 20L tank that only preassures up to 30 PSI? I have to preassure resin between 50-60 PSI to get the bubbles out.
If it works at 30 let me know, I'd buy one too :)
Well .. I've ordered the damn pot!!! I just went there, and instead of being 137$ .. it was down at 117$ .. I have NO idea what's going on there .. but it's definitely worth it!! I see people paying 260$ USD for this!!

Total for the 20L is 137$ CAD tx and shipping included. That's the equivalent of about 27$ USD! :)) lol

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
You ended up ordering the 20L tank that only preassures up to 30 PSI? I have to preassure resin between 50-60 PSI to get the bubbles out.
If it works at 30 let me know, I'd buy one too :)

According to grizzly 20-30PSI is the working pressure for the paint to be released. The manual states the maximum PSI of 50. Of course use at your own caution, but I am sure it can easily take 60 PSI. Not sure what the release pressure is.

TheRocketeer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ahh ok. I didn't realize they had manuals online. On my phone :) but that is great news. Ordering mine now :) thanks.
According to grizzly 20-30PSI is the working pressure for the paint to be released. The manual states the maximum PSI of 50. Of course use at your own caution, but I am sure it can easily take 60 PSI. Not sure what the release pressure is.

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ahh ok. I didn't realize they had manuals online. On my phone :) but that is great news. Ordering mine now :) thanks.

Sure thing glad to have been of help. I've been poring over lots of stuff about pressure pots the last few days and just went straight to the grizzly website to get all this data.

I really do think that there something wrong with that pricing because it makes no sense everywhere else it costs a ton more so there's really no reason not to buy this pot if you're interested in pressure casting.

With the amount of work that you do and the quality of the pieces you put out I think that should fit right in with your operation.

Now I just need grizzly to give me a commission Ha ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRocketeer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Agreed.
I do have a smaller pot. But would like the larger one..possible cast helmets this way :)

I do have the large vacuum camber as well. Which is key.

Prices are radically different sometimes. I just bought a 10 gallon ultra quiet compressor for $349 shipped to my door. Which is a crazy price too.

Sure thing glad to have been of help. I've been poring over lots of stuff about pressure pots the last few days and just went straight to the grizzly website to get all this data.

I really do think that there something wrong with that pricing because it makes no sense everywhere else it costs a ton more so there's really no reason not to buy this pot if you're interested in pressure casting.

With the amount of work that you do and the quality of the pieces you put out I think that should fit right in with your operation.

Now I just need grizzly to give me a commission Ha ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am wondering, how would you cast a helmet under pressure? I mean, we will do slush or roto casting so the resin needs to be in motion while we are casting it. Would you put it in the pot after it stops moving but before it fully cures?

I agree that the vacuum is the most important first step. I've been casting a bit without it and the results are mixed. I am excited to see the difference now that I have my vacuum setup and will start using it today.

TheRocketeer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well the only time I use a pressure pot is with a 2 part mold. So I would make a 2 part mold for a helmet and not do a slush cast.
Thr only time I use the vacumm chamber is gor silicon when I making a mold though. Never used it for resin, no need with a pressure pot. :)

I am wondering, how would you cast a helmet under pressure? I mean, we will do slush or roto casting so the resin needs to be in motion while we are casting it. Would you put it in the pot after it stops moving but before it fully cures?

I agree that the vacuum is the most important first step. I've been casting a bit without it and the results are mixed. I am excited to see the difference now that I have my vacuum setup and will start using it today.

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ah, 2 part mold for a helmet part would make sense.

I guess it would depend on the helmet and how many pieces it was in to talk about if it's a slush vs 2 part.

I have seen some degassing of resin and I was really amazed at how many bubbles were evacuated, probably in part because the resin curing process the chemical reaction in the resin cuing makes new bubbles.

I'm about to start making new silicone for a few parts and this will 100% get my degassing attention.

Bigturc

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need a vaccuum chamber too for my molds!! C or dday, any tips on a good one? Which one do you guys have?

In my case, I'm mixing 1kg of silicone for my HIC molds. With degassin that would expand 4-5 times which is unacceptable so would you suggest splitting the silicone in batches to degass it?

TheRocketeer

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well this is the one I use
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131304684542

I also have a smaller 1 gallon pot for degassing smaller batches of silicone. The best advice I can give is get a pump with high CFM so you can get the air out as quickly as possible.

And 1kg of silicone is about 1liter depending on what silicone you use +/- and I can fit a 4.74 L container into this pot..which means I can degauss over 1kg of silicone. I have had to make more than this for a mold...Batfleck mold for example..but most of my helmet molds dont take more than 1kg per piece.

Hope that helps? I'm not an expert by any means..but this works for me :) and thanks for the tip about the pressure pot, mine should be here tomorrow :) paid the $5.83 shipping for 2 day delivery :)

I need a vaccuum chamber too for my molds!! C or dday, any tips on a good one? Which one do you guys have?

In my case, I'm mixing 1kg of silicone for my HIC molds. With degassin that would expand 4-5 times which is unacceptable so would you suggest splitting the silicone in batches to degass it?

Bigturc

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Yeah it certainly help .. I'll look into maybe buying that one too!!!
As for the pressure pot .. I'd love if we could exchange on how you plan/will mod it to remove the mixer and parts upgrade etc ... I'll send you my email in a PM to get in touch!

Thanks C ;)

dday

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I got a 1.5gallon vacuum pot and a cheapo 1 stage pump. It was the cheapest method for me in Germany where access to these type of parts without spending $400+ is hard.

I think I spent about $200 for the pot and the pump.

The pot is perfect as I generally will mix smaller batches of silicone and resin, generally about 200-300ml at a time.

As for the best vacuum pot.... the pots don't really matter (from my short time researching them, which is not the definitive word) as long as they are strong enough to withstand the vacuum, which most steel pots are, even standard steel cooking pots. What you are looking for is a pot that is tall/wide enough for your pouring cups since you generally do not put molds or castings in the vacuum, just the mix containers with liquid material in them.

If you put a filled mold in a vacuum, you will kill your casting. The bubbles will cause the items in the mold to expand and spill over. Then you don't have enough material in the mold and will get a bad casting.

Granted, there may be other reasons for the vacuum, just not that I've found in my super short time.

The important part of the vacuum setup is the seal and the pump. Most pot tops have a nice silicone seal and the valve and vacuum gauge. Like TheRocketeer; said, the pump will be important. If you get a cheap one like I got it takes about 30 seconds to get the gas out, but takes about 2 minutes to get close to a full vacuum. I get to -25 in about 15 seconds, -27 in about 45 seconds and it will not really be able to press past that. You'll need a stronger 2 stage pump to get to -30 in a true vacuum. For my uses, -25 gets the job done and takes all of the bubbles out, it just takes a touch longer... which is actually ok for me since it lets me control how fast it expands a little better.

As to the volume you are degassing, as long as you have 30-40% of your container empty, you can do it very carefully. You set the pump on, let it run. As the bubbles start to reach the top of the container use the release valve a little. This will stop the vacuum as well as blow in air directly into the container popping the bubbles head a little. Do it slowly though, just a touch open. If you open it fast/hard it will blow in air at a very high pressure and blow your material out of the cup.

Naturally it is better if you have 50-60% of your container free for the expansion, more room for error.

I did find that even though I can't degass the mixed resin due to the cure time, I degassed the resin itself before mixing and I got a ton of bubbles out. Then you pour the hardener into the resin from as close as possible to keep from introducing a lot of new bubbles. When stirring the two together make sure your stick is always touching the bottom and stir only as much as you need to get them mixed. Then into the mold, pouring as close to the mold as possible.. I noticed considerably fewer bubbles being evacuated during curing and the final items looked a bit nicer than before as well.

I still haven't introduced the pressure pot into the mix, but I think it will be a match made in heaven.

If you have a lot of items you cast at once, you will need to make sure you use a slow resin, so you can get it under pressure before it hardens too much.

Last edited by a moderator: