Prequel Obi-Wan Digital patterns and boot recreation in Clo3D

janglesworthy

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Guys, this is my first post here. I'm starting a project that is a little different than what everyone else is doing here. I'm making episode 1-3 obi-wan/qui-gon in marvelous designer.

I don't know really anything about sewing/pattern making and I've based my work off some patterns I have found floating around the net.
I'm using autodesk's maya default male basemesh which scales in at 5'10". It has pretty average body mass and is easily available to all.

My hope is to learn some pattern/sewing from you all and also make this an open source project for any and all who wish to add to it. If I can find somewhere to host the files I'll upload the MD patterns and avatar. MD isn't very real world accurate but CLO is, I think you can import MD to CLO and adjust from there.

This picture represents my block out of all the shirt/pants patterns and place holder boots so help get an idea of how the pants will gather/tuck.

*out of date will be updated with newer versions soon*

Last edited:
no sorry if I made it confusing, I'm making 4 different patterns. Starting with ep1 obi, then modifying from there for ep 2/3/qui-gon. Seems to be the most efficient way to get all of them done.

I've switched over to clo3d from md since the avatar builder lets you make bodies off very specific body measurements(I made my bodies proportions to ewans) and in the end you can create real world prints. So people could actually use the patterns if they want.

no sorry if I made it confusing, I'm making 4 different patterns. Starting with ep1 obi, then modifying from there for ep 2/3/qui-gon. Seems to be the most efficient way to get all of them done.

I've switched over to clo3d from md since the avatar builder lets you make bodies off very specific body measurements(I made my bodies proportions to ewans) and in the end you can create real world prints. So people could actually use the patterns if they want.

Ah I see can't wait to see them manifest into actual costumes.

Decided to do a test with a pattern I found online. My body is 5'10 40 inch chest 34 inch waist, 15 inch bicep. I matched the pattern measurements exactly as listed and this is what came out of it. Maybe its some good reference for anyone who ever wanted to try this pattern.

*out of date updating top post when new work is finished*

Last edited:
Been doing some research on the boots. From what I have found there is some speculation that they used pre ww2 era military boots. So I found a pair of WWI US Calvary officer riding boots 17 inches tall and did a quick and dirty scan of the foot. I think the toe is too narrow when comparing it to photo reference. It's hard to tell, but it was worth the risk. Here is some pics of the rough scan.
cav_boot.jpg

textured scan of the boot base
boot_text.jpg

Last edited:
I forget where I read it but Ewan's boots in TPM were Leather Tanker boots with spats added to the front and held in place with horizontal straps. One at the ankle and three across the calf.

Interesting, one thing I have learned about wwi/wwii boots is a lot of different people made them and there is a lot of variation in them. It's a little maddening at times.

Thanks Halliwax I appreciate it. If anyone wants me to post some of the boot reference I have collected for WWI Calvary boots let me know and I'll dump them into here.

Did a test run on a full boot scan. Found the problem areas and going to go for a second pass at the upper half of the boot to get a cleaner result. I'm also ordering my first 3D printer tomorrow so I can do full resin statues starting with obi and qui-gon. So should be fun going through that process.

fb_scan.jpg

textured scan. Had to dirty some areas up to get a cleaner surface scan.
fb_scan2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back