Prepping Foam for a Costume

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

thewizard99

Ive had a idea to make a costume for a while now and ive decided that using foam for the larger parts would be the best way to do it. Now due to the thickness of the peice i would be making i would be using insulation foam ( Pink Foam that used to insulate houses ).

Now i have thought about a few things on how to make said pieces, but the main problem im having is coating it in something to keep it solid, and reduce potential damage due to it being big.

Any ideas on how to do it, bare in mind this needs to be semi cheap, or cost effective.

Thanks

Chris

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Athanasius

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I don't have much experience but I've heard plastidip is a good way to coat foam, and apparently it takes paint much better than foam does too...

That would probably need to be confirmed by someone that actually uses foam and plastidip though, as coming from me it's just hearsay :\

thewizard99

Yeah, ive heard about plastidip both brush on and spray on, over a few thin coats of PVA, thats seems the best bet with the contours i will have on the foam itself. This is what im going for and its mainly the sholders i will be doing in foam, as well as the chest piece.

Yojimbo-FFX-render.png

pandatrooper

The picture helps. :)

Glue EVA foam over the structure of the pink foam. Then PVA and plastic dip it. For my rocket racoon armor, I used EVA coated wirh PVA glue, then hand painted it with acrylics with a brush and it looks great.

thewizard99

The picture helps. :)

Glue EVA foam over the structure of the pink foam. Then PVA and plastic dip it. For my rocket racoon armor, I used EVA coated wirh PVA glue, then hand painted it with acrylics with a brush and it looks great.

like that thin EVa foam or the thick stuff they use for Mass Effect Armour?

thewizard99

Well the shoulders are quite thick in general, so if i can form majority from the insulation foam, which i can carve out, i can use the thinner foam for all of the details. Ive pulled a Costume Designer ( shes my friend ) so shes givining me a hand, where im the structual engineer of the project.