Predator sound board

Elkman

Sr Member
As promised, here's a video of my Arduino sound board. It's controlled with an accelerometer, like you might find in a Wii controller, so the sounds are triggered by waving the accelerometer around instead of pushing buttons.

Components include the Arduino Uno main board, the Adafruit Wave Shield, and the ADXL335 accelerometer. The sounds are stored on an SD card (available anywhere), and can either be played on a speaker soldered onto the board or via a portable battery-powered speaker. And, by switching SD cards, I can put in different character sounds - one with dragon roars for my leather dragon outfit, and one with Predator sounds.

I'm not 100% sure if I'll be using this with all my other electronics on my Predator suit, but I'm planning to use this with my dragon outfit so I can make some good roaring noises.

Wow Todd..that f'ing rules ! you can actually program the sounds according to your movements ..really making it part of the performance

looks and sounds great,will you sell these?i would be intrested if you do (y)
I can make some more of these for sale, probably in the $100 range. That wouldn't include a powered speaker, though. I think people would probably have their own preferences on that. I might also want to look into different options on being able to conceal the boards versus just stacking them on top of each other.

Wow Todd..that f'ing rules ! you can actually program the sounds according to your movements ..really making it part of the performance
Thanks. There's kind of a caveat, though: I've programmed it to play a sound only when there's a sudden sharp movement. I wouldn't want it to start playing sounds every time the thing is jostled a bit. I'm also thinking that I could program it to do other sounds, like if it's jerked up and then down, or on a quick left than right, or if the user does "up up down down left right left right B A start". (Well, maybe that last one might be difficult.)

OMG, you're going to become my new best friend! I have a just soldered Wave Shield sitting on my Arduino, and I'm just kind of staring at it, trying to figure out what to do next. Where did you get the WAV files? Would you mind sharing your code? I don't have an accelerometer as I was just gonna play around with buttons at first, but I can definitely see how that could become much cooler. My email address is keeleonohms at gmail dot com, if you wouldn't mind sharing any of that, or here as well.

I don't remember where I got all the sounds, but I got many of them from the site Predator: The Hunted. I may have found others in the reference section of this board. Regardless, the sounds for the Wave Shield need to be converted from MP3s to .WAV files, 22 KBPS or less, 16 bits, mono. 44 KBPS or stereo .WAV files don't work.

As far as code goes, there are some good examples at the ladyada.net site. I used the ones that go with the WaveHC library, and I started with the one that plays all the files on a card, then cut that down to just playing certain sounds based on the accelerometer. But, there's a better example here that plays sounds based on six buttons, and it's documented in detail. This might be a good place to start reading.

I don't have the accelerometer code at the moment, since I'm at work, but I can post it a little later. Or you can send me a PM to remind me if I forget.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back