Predator Minigun setup

Sidewinder

Sr Member
Hi guys,

Convention next weekend has finally pushed me into sorting out my Minigun setup.

Built a replica XM23 ammo box out of foamboard skinned with aluminium:
View attachment 8457

Got an Alice backpack frame:
View attachment 8456

Converting my Toytec parts' upper and lowercradle (U shape is for M60 grip under barrels):
View attachment 8458

Got an airsoft M60 coming for the bottom grip and will make the lower cradle then.

Unfortunately I can't get any chute thus far, so it'll be just the linked ammo swingin free.

SAS

The customized cradle assemblies look great. Looking forward to pics of the completed minigun.

:eek That is simply AWESOME. That thing doesn't need to shoot... it'll scare people to death. Fantastic job :thumbsup

Is anyone else ammused by the juxtaposition with Sting? :lol

How'd you get the parts made? I like the Predator minigun setup WAAAAAY better than the typical minigun handgrip seen in T2 and others (nothing against it, I just like Predator's a LOT more). Toytec isn't my favorite airsoft mini as there has been some bad hype over clogged barrels and such and I would personally choose PPP's first M-134 body with all the capabilities on the M-134 A2 that they built, as well as have it be able to shoot. But you made this thing into something AWESOME. A few inaccuracies here and there... but you did better than I could ever do. Great work man.

P.S.-- What were all the parts that were used to make the real prop in the movie?

BUMP

Come on everyone. Don't let this project fade away. Honestly there are too few Predator minigun configurations in the world and they need to be given the attention they deserve. After all it was Predator's Ol' Painless that started the hand held minigun idea in the first place.

<div class='quotetop'>(JunkSabers1138 @ Jul 7 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]1276167[/snapback]</div>
How'd you get the parts made? I like the Predator minigun setup WAAAAAY better than the typical minigun handgrip seen in T2 and others (nothing against it, I just like Predator's a LOT more). Toytec isn't my favorite airsoft mini as there has been some bad hype over clogged barrels and such and I would personally choose PPP's first M-134 body with all the capabilities on the M-134 A2 that they built, as well as have it be able to shoot. But you made this thing into something AWESOME. A few inaccuracies here and there... but you did better than I could ever do. Great work man.

P.S.-- What were all the parts that were used to make the real prop in the movie?
[/b]

Sidewinder's minigun turned out pretty fantastic, didn't it? I built mine a couple years ago. Here is some information. I hope I am not hijacking Sidewinder's thread.

The same "shooter" M134 was used in both Predator and T2. They cutoff (literally) the upper cradle assembly for T2 and the cutoff marks show. Here is a photo of the T2 gun and you can see the remnants of the Predator cradle. I've marked some of the changes made from Predator to T2 configuration.

MinigunMovieCradleMarked.jpg

On my Predator minigun build, I had some original parts given to me by one of the prop gunmakers who worked the movie. Another propmaker provided me with a key part as well. They were modified or recreated to fit the replica (Toytec) minigun. I recast the upper handle I received in solid aluminum and machined it to fit, then it was welded to the "Y" assembly with pistol grip as seen here.

MinigunCradle.jpg

I have an original lower cradle. I had it recreated in solid aluminum stock to fit my M134. As on the real one, I attached a front grip from a real M60 machinegun.

LowerCradle.jpg

Other mods were made to fit a real aluminum feed chute. I used the correct (movie accurate) ammo can and backpack setup thanks to the information provided by the original propmaker. I replaced all of the nuts and screws with ones that were more accurate, and I've acquired actual ball-detent pins from a real minigun. Those will be added soon. Here is a pic of my Predator version minigun replica as it looks today. A couple minor mods (i.e., the pins) pending.

MiniSet5.jpg

Here is another version I built. You can see how I replaced the bolts and screws to better replicate the originals. This one, also, is awaiting addition of the real minigun ball detent pins.

P5200006.jpg

I had a real minigun dataplate recreated in aluminum. Accurate down to the mounting holes. I sold almost one hundred of these over the years.

MinigunPlate.jpg

Here's a photo of an "action figure" (not a doll.) I made to photograph alongside my Predator mini.

BlaineCloseup.jpg

As you can see...miniguns can become an addiction.

I know that Ol' Painless was used in both Predator and T2 with different configurations. So has anyone Identified what the parts were on OP in Predator? Eltee said that the gunmaker for the film, as well as another propmaker gave him parts which were of the same kind of parts used on OP.
To me, some parts stick out:
1. Upper handle: Could be handle from an M-16 variant as those guns have that groove that runs down the middle.
2. Lower handle: Obviously an M-60 foregrip with what looks like a Browning M2 part (my buddy has a DETAILED magazine with an article entirely about this gun. I believe that it's some sort of either Gas release or safety mechanism).
3. Lower cradle: ??? I don't know yet, but I swear I've seen one before.
4 Upper cradle: ??? Don't know yet, but I think they say in the 2-disc version that it was for an M-60 helicoptor mount.

At least that's what it looks like to me.

Who's ready for another I'D thread :D . Come on everyone :D .

P.S.--Eltee, is Monty's Miniguns updated since last year? I've never seen that pic at the top of your post on MM anywhere. Also, I too have bought a Jesse action figure and turned it into a Blaine as well as taking an intoyz minigun and gring the lower cradle down and attatching an M-60 handgrip to it. I've yet to make the top handle like OP and do straps and a shiny ammo chute like you did but I am trying hard to find the parts that look right.

Monty has many photos that he doesn't / hasn't posted on his website. He and I have amassed a pretty good collection of screen and real minigun photos. The favorite photo of my personal minigun is this one.

LydiaMini.jpg

The original lower cradle I have is almost identical to the one I recreated. The tube inside the M60 grip is non functional (on the Predator prop) although on the M60 the lower tube is part of the firing mechanism and has a front cap, etc.

The sight channel on an M16 handle may have inspired the builders of the prop minigun, I should ask if they ever intended to put a sight in there :love as maybe it was originally going to function more like a Squad Auto Weapon and have a bi pod or tri pod for fixed use.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back