Predator Martial Arts

UltimateHunter

After casually flipping through a Alien versus Predator book I came across something that intrigued me. It mentioned a kind of training room, were predator fighting form was practiced, and I wondered: do predators have anything like a martial art, or form they practice?

I am a martial arts person and I think of that kinda stuff, but it really made me wonder, if the preds DO have a form, what would it be like?

Would it be smooth and like a dance, a clean form like with the Japanese Katana, or is it more savage like ( similar to fijian or south pacific weapon fighting)?

Some scenes in the movies do show that they may of a stance with the spear but its not too clear. Also, with hand to hand; what would that be like? Boxing or more graceful?

I think for the P1 movie they wanted Jean Claude Van Damme to play the Predator cuz he could fight and stuff. Then they realized he was too short and chose Kevin Peter Hall which was taller and more menacing when next to Arnold who was already very intimidating himself. If I made a Predator movie or AVP I'd make sure there be some serious fighting style to these intergalactic hunters and not just taking off their helmets and screaming. In the AVP comics they are more agile than the movie counterparts, perhaps the rubber suits limit their vision and movement too much so it ends up not fighting much.

yeh i think they probley do have some kind of style of fighting other then
them just being inraged and puching the hell out of a predalien , they
seem to have a special type because in AVP2 the wolf had diffrent spear fighting like
you mentioned along with his whip twirling , and maybe to a diffrent extent the way he
trows his discs may be like ninjas style of throwings there discs , they must have a
style when faced with a chalenge , becuase it seems predators do a better effort when
they need to servive and show there fighting style best with weapons of course , also
in the game predator concrete jungle the predator has many styles with diffrent weapons,
like his maul, spear, gaive , and wrist blades.

if i was looking for better views of their style i would diffently look at the pred concrect jungle game

as far as what kind , i have no idea :D

I think it was purely just a "ooh thats cool" popcorn moment, but when Scar speared the Queen in AVP1 definatley had a certain kinda style to it too...

Or again referring to AVP (why? *shiver*) as the preds seemed to be the basis of some religions etc maybe our martial art forms developed from theirs?

"There fighting Styles are similar to samuria and ninjitsu unarmed combat, these guys would have been coming
here for centries they would have copied what they saw and used the skills to widen their assenal."

Which Samurai unarmed combat are you referring to? Aikido? Ju jitus?
As for ninjutus, I personally haven't seen anything the predator has done to look similar to it at all.

That twirling attack thing on the Queen did have style though.

Whats interesting its that, though the predator did kick ass, Kevin Peter Hall is apparently a martial arts expert (according to Bill Duke) so its kinda disappointing on why he didn't incorporate any of his disciplines.
If comparing to earth styles, I would say that the predator would use some kind of throwing/ wrestling form such as Gracie Jujitsu. Something more ruff would be their category.

personal I prefer the raw form of yautja ,in his pure savage form, like in P1! we are just meet popsicles for them and is not necesary for them to know martial arts , even for the fights with the aliens! if I'll be a hunter I don't need to know some kind of martial art to fight with ....deer or other pray of mine!:D)

the way I see it, they've already shown a massive degree of martial arts fighting... ;-)

Where does unarmed combat come from? People who had to learn how to defend themselves ("karate never for attacking, Daniel-san...") without weapons. Why did they have to train? They didn't have the physique and reflexes to do without training. Now back to the Predator: a creature born with talons and a predator's (in the race-neutral sense of the word) tusks and teeth, who can climb down trees upside down, the physical strength and endurance to walk and run through trees like we do on the ground, much like an ape... and yet it moves stealthily and without making a sound - that's what I'd call martial arts already.

I bet you couldn't wrestle a 4'10 or 5' Neandertal man unless you were an abnormally strong modern age man or well trained fighter. As with the Preds, it was their savage lifestyle that had to keep them on the edge. Or put it like this: A tiger doesn't need to know karate to be the perfect killing machine.

predator played at my local cinema 2nite as they do a classic film every tuesday it was sweet to see it on the big screen! as for martial arts the P1 looked like he knew **** all!! lol

In predator 1 it was more like:

Use the speed of your arm to hit the target with a high enough impact to cause injury (pretty basic fighting technique :D). **** defense.

Worked pretty well against humans.

I don't wanna dive to far into my martial artsy stuff but, martial arts isn't all strength. In fact, most is techniques or other things. However, it would still make sense if they had a form as a base to practice with. Especially when they have all those pretty weapons :D

BTW it would be cool to see some one do Capoeira against a predator.

OR

A Katana wielder fight a predator with a sword!!!

Not sure how well a person using Capoeira against a predator would do. Predator are pretty agile and able to grab a fast movie target (AVP...Grabbing the tail of an alien) so I think it might end badly for the human. Now a person knowledgable about wielding a katana would be something exciting to watch (would think it will have to be on a Samuri level of expertise). I believe there have been some comics where predators have learned the fighting style of samuri's in the past.

I don't wanna dive to far into my martial artsy stuff but, martial arts isn't all strength.

I'm not saying that, in fact it's pretty much the opposite. What I meant was that a creature with an archaic lifestyle as a Predator wouldn't have to train (not much at least) with regards to reflexes or physical fitness as a human IT-guy for instance. You can see the martial arts guys in movies do stuff a normal human can't. Why? Because they train hard to catch flies with chopsticks and stand on one foot for hours and stuff like that. Senses and abilities we "normals" have lost due to lack of environmental challenge. A creature moving through trees like we do on the sidewalk wouldn't need that.

Granted, that doesn't take into account any specific hand/foot defense and attack combinations. But as I said, a tiger doesn't have to know karate to be dangerous, and that's not simply because of his talons/fangs, but because a creature as big must be able to move accordingly smooth and agile or else is eliminated by evolution.

you're right tomynator , and personally I think I'll don't like anymore a predator fighting in the chicken style or what else ,whatever spectacular would be the style!the predator has his own fighting style and therefor I like it!but this is just my opinion! when the first movie with a kung-fu predator will appears I'll start to make my muppets suit! so I said! :D

From a purely boring technical viewpoint the Producers/directors probably wanted to steer well clear of using a recognised form of martial arts for the Predator. I've been cast as various creatures for low budget movies usually due to my martial arts background and each time you get on set or get to rehearsal they say 'now we dont want to see any taekwondo moves in this, this creature is primal!' or similar so you end up just punching and getting knocked down by the 'hero' actors. The first Predator movie probably had that in mind. Why would this massive alien need to bother with a form of martial art? But since then the character has evolved so its more like 'why wouldn't it?' It would be great to see an original combat form developed. I heard somewhere Ian Whyte did martial arts too so both he and KPH have that way of standing you get from years of punching drills.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back