Predator hound/4-legged costumes

Scrapps

So, this isn't for a particular costume. I was kind of throwing around ideas for various costumes, including but not limited to the dog alien, one of the predator hounds from the new predators movie, Crying wolf from Metal Gear solid 4, Zergling from Starcraft etc. etc. I still wanted to be able to walk or maybe even run in it, but be able to walk upright if I get tired. I kind of got the concept of werewolf legs but what about the arms? I've seen a couple of costumes that were on all fours but the front legs were always extremely stiff. I'm pretty flexible so, as long as my elbows/ wrists and knees/ankles have the same range of movement, I'm 90% sure that I can make it look believable. It's mostly just how I make it that is stumping me.

Thanks,

Scrapps.

if you are gonna run on all fours, some arm extensions will be needed. they won't need to be really long just enough to make it more comfortable on your back.
try to find some forearm brace crutches. or some similar set up.
the suit would be the same as a pred suit, just that the arms would be in a forward position instead of to your sides. same with the legs.

i did a four legged fur suit. used some jumping stilts and forearm braces.

DSCN4166.jpg

id never thought i would see this, but this is interesting. i think walking on all 4's would be awkward...especially in public B)

looks good tho

if you are gonna run on all fours, some arm extensions will be needed. they won't need to be really long just enough to make it more comfortable on your back.
try to find some forearm brace crutches. or some similar set up.
the suit would be the same as a pred suit, just that the arms would be in a forward position instead of to your sides. same with the legs.

i did a four legged fur suit. used some jumping stilts and forearm braces.

Ok, so I looked a bit on the forearm brace crutches and unfortunately, I'm only 5'3" so even on the smallest adjustment on those things, it's still too long. Maybe I can shorten them or make my own? My height (or lack thereof) does come with the advantage of less weight so, maybe I can rig something up. I know my bf is concerned that I may break my wrists attempting to run/walk in this costume so I'll probably have to work in some kind of rigid wrist brace into the mix.

Thanks for the input.

cutting the braces might work. or just use them as a template and build up something with the length you want. one problem though is you have no more hands. dont plan to hold drinks in it B)

cutting the braces might work. or just use them as a template and build up something with the length you want. one problem though is you have no more hands. dont plan to hold drinks in it B)

Thats what i was getting at....I spent an hour in a horse mascot costume except it was a 2 person. Unfortunately since im 6'1 i got stuck at the rear having to bent over for the whole time which is a pretty vulnerable feeling, not to mention ur hoping the person in the front end doesnt fart and take ur eye out.

haha! i'm gonna try to make a Tracker Hound costume for my dog Abby. Haha! wow so many girls will probably be "aw what a cute looking monster doggie! Me in my Pred suit: -makes clicking noise-
Abby: BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!!!

Yeah, I pretty much figured that. Luckily, for the con I usually go to, I always am able to get a good deal at the hotel that is right across the street so that if I need to eat/drink/go to the bathroom, it's not too far away. I'll probably put a camelbak in it for the sake of hydration but I'm pretty good about everything else. I was also thinking about putting in a built-in corset, not only to help shape the costume but to support my back. I'm a girl, so it's not too much of a stretch for me.

haha! i'm gonna try to make a Tracker Hound costume for my dog Abby. Haha! wow so many girls will probably be "aw what a cute looking monster doggie! Me in my Pred suit: -makes clicking noise-
Abby: BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!!!

I was thinking about that too. I've got a boxer and every time we get a new bio, we stick it on her, just for kicks.

I'm working on a sammael quadsuit at the moment http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...4&hl=stinky
I used PVC pipes for the arm extensions, with a dowel handle where my hands sit and I wear rollerblading wrist guards with them. You want them just long enough so when you are leaning forward on them your back it straight. I can run and jump in mine but my arm extentions are rigid.
You don't really need leg stilts, just use padding to give the digigrade effect of you will look really out of perportion with really long legs.
A cable from a belt of corset to the head is a good idea, you get a pretty sore neck after a while of wearing even a light head.
Also don't make the head so you have to crane your head back to look in front of you, very uncomfortable, make it so you look out of the mouth or even out from under the neck with you head in a more natural position

Try looking up fursuit quadsuits (in particular Toby the Targ by BeetleCat), there are a few good tutorials out there that have jointed wrists so the hands/paws move as you walk. The only problem is having jointed wrists makes the extentions more unstable and they may collaps if you try to run in them and put too much weight on them

nice addition Kelz, i forgot about that suit. i wasnt saying she had to have stilts. you wouldnt want em anyway the pred wolves were low to the ground.

Scrapps might appreciate any build pics of your forearm extensions, id like to see em anyway.

I don't think I have anymore pics of the arm extentions, not on this computer anyway but I can whip up a quick diagram if anyone really wants one.
It's pretty simple.
You need some PVC pipe that is wide enough to fit your arm into.
Bend over with your back straight and let your arms hang down and get someone to measure from the floor to the palm of your hand and from the floor to where you want the stilt to sit on your arm. (mine come to just below my elbow but sammael has very stiff forearms for the hunting hound make the extentions come to your wrist so you still have that point of articulation.)
The you want to drill holes where at your palm measurment and glue the dowel in place as your hand support. make the dowel as wide as you can shile still being able to wrap your hand around it comfortable within the stilt.
Split some garden hose lengthwise and glue it along the top edge of the pipe (th only way I found to effectively stop it cutting into you)
The add some rubber matting (or the soles from some thongs (flip flops)) to the bottom to prevent slippage then start shaping and glueing the foam over the top

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back