Predator Dread Idea (Updated)

YautjaSlayer

I want to start working on some stuff for my costume and was wondering if any of you have ever tryed this to make dreads: I plan to take about 100 ft of black rope and cut it to equal lenths and dip it in black liquld latex a few times. I am wondering if anyone has ever done this before or if you think it will work.
thank you,
YautjaSlayer

Its sounds cool for display pieces but if that is going to be hanging off the back of your head its probably gonna cause neck issues. I know my mask has bambooie dread in every hole and its pretty heavy and those things are light as all get out. So think about that before you go threw with it.

I want to start working on some stuff for my costume and was wondering if any of you have ever tryed this to make dreads: I plan to take about 100 ft of black rope and cut it to equal lenths and dip it in black liquld latex a few times. I am wondering if anyone has ever done this before or if you think it will work.
thank you,
YautjaSlayer
it works...before i did my latex dreads i made dreads this way...it works fine.....but....yes they are heavy...if you use a good quality solid diamond braid nylon rope you can even take a flame and point your bottoms....you also end up with a sort of dragon skin texture to them which is kinda cool, because the pattern of the rope shows through unless you do a number of dips.

Thanks guys. How heavy would they be? I plan to do at least 20, probably more. I want them about as big around as a quarter.
Yautja Slayer

Including your mask, you'd probably be wearing at least 10lbs on your head. That's before you put a bio on there. Even a set of 40 foam dreds weighs about 4-5lbs, and each dred only weighs 1.5oz to 2oz max. Before going for this, I'd buy a small piece of rope (if you can) and weigh it. Then add a little bit for the latex. Then multiply it by however many dreds you want, but I don't think you're going to come up with a happy number.

if you where it for short periods it shouldn't be bad for you...but having that kind of weight on your head for extend period will have your neck hurting...Good luck with them and you better put some pics up

Armaflex pipe insulation...you can find it at Lowes and construction/industrial supply stores such as Grainger. Cut your length, taper the end, and glue closed

so now i have the rope and latex( i am useing 100% latex house paint) so this is what i got

predsuit002.jpg

predsuit003.jpg

predsuit004.jpg

I am going to start tonight and update tomorrow or once they are dry.
YautjaSlayer

predsuit002.jpg

predsuit003.jpg

predsuit004.jpg

please let me know how it turns out as i am making an undermask for my suit and am having lots of trouble with the dreads.
and as much as i want a set of BamBooie i can't afford them..
so when you get to your finalized product i would like to see pics maybe even a video of you wearing them and also want to know your take on it!

This is my process. i have made 2 videos and i hope that this works.

video Pt 1
th_predsuit006.jpg

video Pt2
th_predsuit007.jpg

part 3 will be here as soon as they are dry.

th_predsuit006.jpg

th_predsuit007.jpg

ok they are done! I have a video and some pics so check em out! (and please comment :) )

They do have good texture to them. I am considering once they are all done, buying lots of plasti dip and dipping them all in that because this latex just seems to thin, they are kinda flopy but not alot. the plasti dip shoud change that ,also the dread beads will add some weight to them so they move more. i will put some more up when i am done with them all.

here they are! all finished
predsuit010.jpg

predsuit011.jpg

them drying. they drip alot so have somthing under them.

predsuit012.jpg

predsuit013.jpg

and the video. sorry its kinda dark i will get a better one up later once they are all done.

th_predsuit017.jpg

Please Comment! :p

predsuit010.jpg

predsuit011.jpg

predsuit012.jpg

predsuit013.jpg

th_predsuit017.jpg

Hmm, they look cool imo. A different, but neat looking texture to them. I think they would look good on a mask, would have to see though. LOL You know what they almost remind me of? The dreads of that one boss in Gears of War... :)

Hmm, they look cool imo. A different, but neat looking texture to them. I think they would look good on a mask, would have to see though. LOL You know what they almost remind me of? The dreads of that one boss in Gears of War... :)

Holy **** Tija lol I don't know any girl at my high school that even knows waht Gears of War is lol. But ya mon they look like some nice budget dreads.

P.S the dudes name is Scourge

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back