Predator Civil War

Thaden

Seems that there are two warring tribes of Yautja using the Earth, Africa specifically as their own personal battlefield. I'm only up to issue 2 but the story at this juncture is that a traditional Yautja tribe is waging war against a more technologically advanced tribe. A tribe, for the most part, that doesn't seem to use the traditional Yautja weaponry & whom mostly use firearms, wrist blades & spears sporadically & vastly cooler looking, high tech Yautja armor.

pred.jpg

pred2.jpg

Can't wait to see how this is going to end!

They don't look like Predators... save for the fingernails and pseudo "dredlocks." A rifle with a sniper-scope... and it has script on the "focus" box. Wait... it has focus knobs. Those hockey-mask looking helmets aren't doin' it for me. Sounds like an interesting story, but it looks they didn't invest more than ten-minutes into the creature design.

looks cool but personally i hate it when they start playing around with preds and all different ideas, not too keen on the art on those preds either ie dreads! preds should look like P1/P2 with different colour variations / armour / bios etc. i like the idea of the two tribes going to war, traditional v more advanced but why make em look stupid?

just my opinion ... carry on...

i guess me and rob were writing at the same time.... just read his .... exactly

They don't look like Predators... save for the fingernails and pseudo "dredlocks." A rifle with a sniper-scope... and it has script on the "focus" box. Wait... it has focus knobs. Those hockey-mask looking helmets aren't doin' it for me. Sounds like an interesting story, but it looks they didn't invest more than ten-minutes into the creature design.
They've unmasked a couple of the "new" Preds and they are indeed Yautja. The dreads, unfortunately, seem to have been left to the artist's interpretation as he has also given the traditional Yautja the same length dreads. As for the sniper rifle, I can only assume that Pred may have pulled it off one of his human victims to possibly rearm himself, otherwise the rest of his brethren seem to be armed with high tech blasters of some sort.

To me it's simply another chapter in a much larger universe that has yet to be explored, I personally dig expanded universe stuff like this, it gives the characters we all know & love - a new dimension.

I'm not really getting much of a Pred vibe from the hi-tech armor. I appreciate it's tough to take a tribal culture and bring them up to date, but I'm with Rob...a little more effort on design could have gone a long way. Hopefully the story is an interesting one.

I'm with Rob and Paul on this one.the only cool thing about this new series is the cover for issue number 2.
I don't like preds with halo/robotech armor on them.
perhaps the next series after this one will be a lil better but I doubt it. in the next one they use aliens as huntind dogs and the only cool thing I've seen so far from the sneak peeks are the double laser shroud on the bios. :)

I would look at this from a stand point of technological evolution. Much like people in the US evolved technologically ahead of say, any number of third world countries who's to say the Predators wouldn't be in a similar situation. Some are likely to evolve ahead of the other clans. They would also have a willingness to abandon the old ways in favor of new weapons.

Rob hit the nail on the head yet again with his brash yet perfect interpretation of how he sees it. Rob calls it like it is and I frikkin like it. Those pictures are just plain sad. Its almost like the artist didn't even bother to look at the movies...he was told to draw a Predator and just said "fuk it, I'ma gonna do it my way" Well we got news for ya - that ain't no Pred and the art is pathetic. Interpretation is one thing - this tripe is just a slap in the face...

well.jpg

I will say it again my friend well put! :)

well.jpg

I take your wells and raise you a cat in a handbasket.
090926-hell-in-a-handbasket.jpg

I personally don't mind it if they use Predators in new ideas. Not like they are dressing themselves up as clowns as a new hunting tactic. (Take that, Pennywise!) I can however agree with the beef on this new technology this specific clan uses. It doesn't feel 'Predatorish". But then again, maybe that means this particular tribe/clan in general is taking a more human approach when it comes to war? That would be an nice literary ionic twist: Humans stole Predator technology (Mainly Weyland & Yutani) and created new weapons and machines from it, and now this hi-tech clan adopts the same machines and weapons back to them (the original owners).

But I'm really waiting for the new AVP series coming out, which will have Machiko as a returning character. I see nothing but epic win in our midst.

090926-hell-in-a-handbasket.jpg

I would look at this from a stand point of technological evolution. Much like people in the US evolved technologically ahead of say, any number of third world countries who's to say the Predators wouldn't be in a similar situation. Some are likely to evolve ahead of the other clans. They would also have a willingness to abandon the old ways in favor of new weapons.
As I stated I'm only up to issue 2 but your analysis would probably be the most logical justification [in my opinion of course] as to why the traditional Yautja are at war with this "evolved" tribe...as a writer myself...it would seem to fit. But we'll see in issue 3 what transpires.

The masks really don't look right to me I'm fine with the armor but that helmet just seems...weird.Personally differnt helmets or how about just the P1 bio?I could swear that if the predators are anything like wolf they have quite a few bios, so how about the most simplest bio thats also easily replaced?And the predator rifle....All I can say was that it would've happend eventually, whos to say that a pred only uses the pistol or sholdar cannon?

I wasn't going on about the story. Hey, it's alright by me, and I'm always up for new Predator stories. What I did assault was the creature design and how ******* bland and incoherent it is. Were the artists given any time at all to devise some new and cool looking Predators? Probably not, which is why they look like half-assed Star Wars Stormtroopers. Also, everything is ridiculously out of proportion. Like I said, they look like dudes wearing hi-tech hockey masks... not Predators. Predators have big heads, hands and feet. The only thing "Predator" about the characters are the dredlocks. Everything else is just awful. I also think that if they're so goddamn advanced, they'd have moved past rifles. Especially ones with SCOPES. I find it highly impractical that a creature with access to ultimate galactic technology would resort to using a weapon he got off of someone he murdered. Especially a species so far behind in technological evolution.

This was the whole reason why I stopped buying Predator comics altogether. The art got really bad, and the storylines were dumb. So, they bring it back with this? No thanks. Dark Horse has dropped the ball ...hard. Yeah, the art looks good, but computers are a wonderful tool. I really don't much care for this new "re-hash" of a series that fell victim to bad art and stories. Not to mention the awful books published.

You said that without the helmet on it looks like a real Yautja. Does a Yautja looking anything like a Predator?

It sucks. Keep Preds off Earth and stop fuckin' with the design. Sheeeesh.

High-*******-five.

that series started on free comic day a predator was hunting a human and out of no where the pred got shot and then there was a whole group of preds stading there

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back