Predator Book(s)

avpfan36

Hey guys,

I was talking to my dad about the predator movies earlier today, and he asked me if there are any books about the predator. Something like a biography, about their home planet, weapons, etc...is there such thing? I think it would make a great Christmas present. :p

I have read every pred and AVP novel at least 3x each

Here is how I rank them from best to worst.

1. South China Sea (many substories. Well written)
2. Turnabout (slightly less good than the above. Takes place in Alaska)
3. AVP (novel from the movie is a million times better than the film)
4. Big Game (Navajo soldier in the U.S. Army. Serious tribal folklore mixed in)
5. Concrete Jungle (Unique take with a couple of New York City cops. Dutch's brother stars)
6. AVP Prey (Initial take on a female human teaming up with a Pred to fight bugs. Intro of Machiko Naguchi)
7. Cold War (Dutch's brother is back. Kind of trite at the end but good read. Takes place in Siberia)
8. AVP War (Story line kind of weak, but still a pred story :p )
9. Flesh and Blood (not terrible, but nothing stands out. )
10. AVP Hunters Planet (just too damn candy ass)
11. Forever Midnight (Just bad, IMO )

Might want to look at Stan Winston's book - The Winston Effect: The Art & History of Stan Winston Studio. Might be something in there about the Predator.

Come to think of it, South China Sea really reminds me of the new Predators movie. My fave would have to be Big Game, though. Love it when they add some tribal mythos to the whole thing. Makes it seem less like your typical brain-eating sci-fi alien creature, and more like something thoughtful and cool.

I've been reading the novel of Predator: Cold War, and it's OK, but it doesn't really have any new or different material than what was covered in the comic. I was actually hoping to find the Predator novels that contain some of the Yautja language. Which of the novels will help me to learn how to talk like a Predator?

Also, if you're ever interested in the technical side of things, the book AVP: Alien vs. Predator: The Creature Effects of ADI has a lot of detail about how they did the planning, design, sculpture, and all the other effects that they created for the film. It's worth checking out. If you're looking for some light reading, there's a short pamphlet, AVPR: The Lighting Secrets of Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, that explains why they shot most of the film in the sewer or at night with the town's electricity off.

(OK, I'm kidding about the AVPR lighting pamphlet.)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back