Predator Bio Helmet

deathquise

Heya!
Stumbled upon this forum by accident and damn, you've done some awesome stuff!!
After browsing various pictures and tutorials it got me thinking if it would be possible to make a custom-fit, detachable Bio Helmet over a Paintball Mask??
I've never done anything with latex or molds... Only some minor fixes to my car using plaster and glassfiber.
Is the whole project too much for someone new to prop building, what materials/techniques should i use?

The Bio Helmet wouldn't be used in-game, but more as a ringside feat, or referee/cameraman mask... random goofing about.
So yeah, it wouldnt have to withstand constant Paintball fire, only the occasional stray shot.

Heres of the picture of the Mask, on top of which, the Helmet would be built.

AAAAAhU_TYQAAAAAABCQOQ.jpg

found a "predator " paintball mask on ebay, was around£129 or something similar, not sure if it would fit a costume tho so i resisted the temptation to buy

Don't want to buy a premade mask as I'm actually wanting to learn scuplting/molding/casting
And that xdmray's link is what got me wanting to try something like this.

After some more lurking around, I think I've figured out how to have an attempt at this.
Plaster Mask, start with strips and finish up final layer(s) with liquid, once done and dried up, clean the edges and reinforce the back-side of it with uhmm... glass-fiber?
Should be relatively easy for a beginner, no?

And for the sculpting bit:
1. Mount the paintball-mask on a foamhead, build something on the mask to support the top (dome) of the Bio Helmet's clay version.
2. Lay the clay and sculpt a Bio Helmet out of it.

Looked at lots of tutorials for Predator suits and heads, couldn't find (m)any for the Bio Helmet though...
How did you guys go about when making yours?

Can you recommend any brands/types of clay or other materials i might need. How much clay shall i get for this project?
To prevent the clay from sticking on the mask, would something as simple as 2-sided tape + tinfoil do the trick?
What should i treat the clay with before starting the plaster business?

Feel free to point out if I missed something crucial... All of the above is just me, assuming how to go about this.
Thanks!

Crucial indeed, just realised I haven't given any thought on how to eventually mount the Bio Helmet on the paintball-mask!
...ah well, I'm open for suggestions.

Also if I was to go with the plaster/glass-fiber version, approximately how much weight are we looking at?

Got a week off from work, starting today. Hoping to get started on this, at least the sculpting bit sometime next week. Once i have the clay.

Did loads more lurking on this forum, good stuff...
Learned it helps when looking for something specific to search with google.. just add site:www.thehunterslair.com before typing the search words.
The search engine here doesnt seem to like words that consist of 3 letters or less, like "bio".

Allright, found a local dealer is selling a "Brush-on Starter Kit" which covers up just about everything needed for the bio:
Rebound25 0,9 kg
Smooth Cast 300 0,86 kg
Plasti Paste 1,54 kg
Sonite Wax (mini package)
Thi-vex (mini package)

What i'm wondering is that will the materials included be enough to mold and cast a Bio, start to finish?
Also bumped into an old thread here in which i think hez, mentioned that "Chavant" clays have some sort of a bad reaction with rebound 25?
Could somebody shed some light on this.

Reason I'm asking is because the same dealer offers NSP clay which i was thinking of getting, but the label on them says Chavant.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back