PREDATOR 3D Blu-ray Disc

cavx

Master Member
I just picked this up (as a Christmas present to myself) and thought I'd share. It seems well made and based against my foam bio, it seems to be sized about 75%.

DSCF4697.JPGDSCF4689.JPGDSCF4690.JPGDSCF4691.JPGDSCF4692.JPGDSCF4693.JPGDSCF4694.JPGDSCF4695.JPGDSCF4696.JPG

It is pretty well made though I do have to question the bio mask as it just does not seem to be deep (wrap around) enough. Also isn't the snout supposed to concave? Anyway, it will look good added to my growing prop collection. The bio attaches with two magnets at the top of the head. The tray at the back contains the 3D edition of the film PREDATOR. I still have the original grainy release on BD and never bought the "scrubbed" version. Being 3D, this would have to be scrubbed of grain or it would be like looking through dirty glass. I am not a huge fan of 2D to 3D converted films, so like the SONNY from I, ROBOT, I've bought this for the head not the film.

As I said I'm really a fan of the converted 2D to 3D films but I am curious to see what they have done with this one.

So if it's the scrubbed version, Arnie still looks like a Toy Story character? I was reeeeaaallly hoping they'd correct that :/

The original film was shot back in 1986 and apparently at that time 35mm film stock was very grainy. ALIENS is another example and looked terrible before that beautiful BD transfer was made (I'm happy to discuss my theory on the said "tealifiaction"). So the original BD of P1 is as grainy as a bowl of rice which (if BD is to keep the films artistic intent) is how it is supposed to look.

If you look at the now "trilogy", P1 was grainy, P2 was fairly clean and Ps was grainly as well. The sell through of Ps is clean yet the rental was nasty. Maybe they scrubbed P2, maybe it is just better film stock, not sure. Point is, it is nicer to watch than the original release of the film P1. So they scrubbed it clean to make it better match and sometimes you can too much of a good thing - hence the shiny toy look.

The problem with 3D is that this "grain" appears to float and can look as if your 3D glasses are either dirty or you are just looking through a dirty window. It is distracting and why a scrub is sometimes needed.

So if it's the scrubbed version, Arnie still looks like a Toy Story character? I was reeeeaaallly hoping they'd correct that :/

Took a look at the disc last night and yes Arnie looks like he is made of plastic and totally unnatural looking. And they trimmed the film from its original theatrical 1.85:1 (17:9) to 1.78:1 (16:9).

Took a look at the disc last night and yes Arnie looks like he is made of plastic and totally unnatural looking. And they trimmed the film from its original theatrical 1.85:1 (17:9) to 1.78:1 (16:9).

Shame. One of my all time faves just spoiled. Hopefully they undo the damage at some later time.

Wow..the Predatorhead looks really nice.I love the eyes and the paintjob.A nice christmas present!:thumbsup
I think the biomask has not this quality.But with some updates it can look great,too.;)

Shame. One of my all time faves just spoiled. Hopefully they undo the damage at some later time.
I doubt they will go back and re-do this one. The annoying part for me I guess is that they did a stellar job on P2 and parts of this look nice and other parts just look terrible.

Wow..the Predatorhead looks really nice.I love the eyes and the paintjob.A nice christmas present!:thumbsup
I think the biomask has not this quality.But with some updates it can look great,too.;)

LOL, not what they are saying over at the HUNTERS LAIR. They basically said it was the worst Pred they have ever seen.

Price doesn't matter. Either something looks good or it doesn't.

The original film was shot back in 1986 and apparently at that time 35mm film stock was very grainy. ALIENS is another example and looked terrible before that beautiful BD transfer was made (I'm happy to discuss my theory on the said "tealifiaction").

That's not it. All depends on the particular film stock used. Cameron used a brand new type of stock for Aliens which wasn't made for very long since once major draw back was a lot of grain. Don't know which film stockS were used when they shot Predator, only that there were at least two very different ones. Hence some scenes being way more grainy than others.

The predator head might be crap, but it's lightyears away from the Terminator atrocity they released:
atrocity.jpgatrocity2.jpg

Price doesn't matter. Either something looks good or it doesn't.

The predator head might be crap, but it's lightyears away from the Terminator atrocity they released:
View attachment 268143View attachment 268144

No...you get what you pay for.The bluray terminator looks ok,but its far away from a Toynami/HCG 1:1 T-800 head.And I speak from the look AND the quality.
I have both...so I can say that.;)

I wouldn't keep that... thing in my house, even if someone paid me a whole bunch for it :lol
HCG skull on the other hand: yes please :p

I went back and watched Jurassic Park 3D today and it's not as good(conversion wise) as Titanic 3D. However both are a trillion times better than the Predator 3D conversion. The Predator version seems rushed and half-assed basically :thumbsdown

I went back and watched Jurassic Park 3D today and it's not as good(conversion wise) as Titanic 3D. However both are a trillion times better than the Predator 3D conversion. The Predator version seems rushed and half-assed basically :thumbsdown

Not quite what I was hoping to hear about PREDATOR 3D release.
Can't get my 3D working right now due to sync issues with the glasses so just watched it in 2D and noticed that they nt only cropped it back to 16:9, they also have it all waxy and polished. That is a big thumbs down in my book. Lucky I still have my grainy original 2D PREDATOR.

I heard the I, ROBOT 3D conversion that I got a with the SONNY head is also quite bad as well.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back