Pred Beads

Lflank

The recent threads here have inspired me to try my hand at casting my own pred beads. Since my clay-sculpting skills are virtually nonexistent, though, I'm doing them in a different way. I'm using short lengths of 1/2-inch PVC pipe as a base, and decorating them by gluing bits and pieces of foamie to them. Since I have three masks to bead, and I plan on using two different beads for each mask, I came up with six designs:

6905120600_9b682f39d7.jpg

7051211641_9615fca9af.jpg

7051217291_65e11f994c.jpg

I've coated them all with watered-down Elmers to seal the foamie.

Now I'm waiting for my Oomoo to arrive from Smooth-On so I can make molds. I'll post more then.

Take a close up of the facehugger one, its from foamies? Wow! Thats cool

Yep, I cut the shape from foamie and then glued it around the piece of PVC, then coated it with a layer of watered-down Elmers glue.It's kind of a stylized version of the facehuger.

Here's another shot:

7052161665_97f596c7db.jpg

The tail wraps all the way around, and the fingers wrap most of the way around.

Nice! Can i see how you made your mold? Nice work

I didn't take any photos of the molding process, but I did it like this:

I cut a circle of posterboard about an inch wider than the model bead I was molding, hot-glued one end of the bead to it so it was standing upright, then taped a strip of posterboard about half an inch taller than the bead all the way around, to make a tube. Then I mixed the Oomoo and poured it in slowly until it covered the whole bead and filled up the tube to the top. When the mold hardened, I peeled away all the posterboard, then slit the side of the mold so I could get the bead model out.

To make a cast, I wrap the empty mold with a rubber band to hold the slit together, then pour the Smooth-Cast mixture inside and let it harden. It pops right out, and I file the rough edges off the ends. I have juuust enough time to fill all six molds before the SmoothCast starts to set. So I can pop out a set of beads about every half hour. (I've now run out of Smooth-Cast and have ordered more--I need about 50 each of four of the beads and 100 each of two of them.)

I get occasional small air bubbles in the cast, from filling the mold too quickly--I probably should have used a different SmoothCast with a longer setting time. But the bubbles are usually pretty small so I can live with them. And they make the beads look kinda used and dinged up anyway. :)

So the "glue some foamies to a piece of PVC pipe" theory seems to work pretty well in the real world. :D

I did have the mold pull off some pieces of foamie from the model, and had to clean those out before I could start pouring casts. No big deal, though--they came out easily.

Finished beads on masks:

7098841187_83e932c727.jpg

6952770612_d4c9739594.jpg

7098840351_3264bc8756.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

I still have to do another set of the copper-colored facehugger beads to match my modified Rubies mask to this bio.

Ok, the end result looks fantastic, inask because i had a bad experience with another brand of resin, thanks

I had minor problems with the SmoothCast 300 -- it starts curing within about 15 minutes, so I had just barely enough time to pour it into all six molds before it started getting thicker, and occasionally I ended up with some small air bubbles in the piece. I could have solved the problem easily just by using a different SmoothCast with a longer cure time, but it wasn't that much of a problem, so I just lived with it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back