Pred Backpack from scratch WIP

oneuglymf

So I recently bought a storage ottoman and when it was delivered it had some great carveable foam in it, so I set to work. I loosely eyed up how I wanted the shape, and began with a wiltshire stay sharp, carving a general shape.

then I kind wrapped the hell out of it in heavy packing paper and packing tape, so it would hold its form. Then I eyeballed out the "Fins" and cut them from the yoga mat. Nice and pliable.

sorry for the cruddy blackberry pics.

img00525201007070848.jpg.png

img00526201007070919.jpg.png

img00527201007070919.jpg.png

img00528201007070919.jpg.png

img00529201007070930.jpg.png

img00530201007070930.jpg.png

img00531201007071020.jpg.png

img00532201007071021.jpg.png

so far so good. Gonna detail the hell out of it of course, so please don't judge its humble beginnings too harshly. This is my first attempt at a backpack and I think the general idea came out alright.

mind if i judge?...i think you've got something there to work with....lightweight and durable and best of all it cost almost nothing to produce.

you stand judged, you one ugly mother f....what?...it's his screen name :)

am

if i may. i like that you did the flaps with foamies. you might want to continue that and "plate" the whole thing in foamies. basically veneer it. it will give it a smoother finnish more like metal. great work though putting it together, you wont get tired with that on your back!

if i may. i like that you did the flaps with foamies. you might want to continue that and "plate" the whole thing in foamies. basically veneer it. it will give it a smoother finish more like metal. great work though putting it together, you wont get tired with that on your back!

Thanks everyone. I agree, adding more foamies will look better. I'm using reference pics to try and match the armors contours and shape better. this is just the rough base framework for it so far. any suggestions, resources, or constructive criticisim is welcomed.

I agree with Xdmray...add more foamies and cover it completely. Layers of foamies with relief cuts will give it depth and detail. I think you on a good track though.

took off the original fins, and fortified underneath with cardboard, added new fins. More foam added, and some electronic components and plastic bits from here and there. Its getting there slowly but surely. Next is trying to figure out a stable spot to mount the plasma cannon.

dsc4254copy.jpg.png

dsc4267copya.jpg.png

dsc4263copy.jpg.png

nice, once you paint that i think you will be a lot happier with the look. and adding greeblies always steps up the look! GJ

Thanks guys. I agree about the paint. A few more spots to fill in and then I will let my friend have at it. as far as ataching it to myself, I hadn't thought that far. I've no where to put any straps or anyting as I didn't leave any openings or holes to do so. Cart before the horse eh? I'll have to figure something out. Maybe buy a cheapy backpack at walmart just for the straps and somehow glue it on there. ahhh I'll think of something.

try to find a place that sells webbing by itself like a camping store. it will be cheaper and wont be puffy backpack straps. plus you can usually buy the buckles as well.

or a climbing store might have loose webbing but that might be more expensive.

Im using this technique myself for my pack, which im leaving hollow to toss my camel bak inside of. oh sweet water how us costumers need you so.......

Update.

Had some extra rubies armour and "Deluxe" hands with gauntlets, which I cut up and cannibalized to add to the backpack. Mainly i used it to cover unsigtly areas of the foam. Tried to make some pred symbols, but they don't look the best IMO. I think I might try those bits again.

anyways, enjoy the pics

dsc4293.jpg.png

dsc4282g.jpg.png

dsc4292n.jpg.png

dsc4281.jpg.png

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back