Praetorian Guard Armor Reference - Star Wars The Last Jedi

Peralton

My Kylo isn't even 1/2 finished, but wow, am I excited by this new armor and wondering if there's any way I could actually complete such a project in this decade.

Praetorian (3).jpg
MN3qILi.jpg

fTeEPZw.png

It looks like there are four new weapons and two helmet styles (maybe three?), with one helmet being an official Anovos piece.
https://www.anovos.com/collections/...e-last-jedi-praetorian-guard-helmet-accessory

Star_Wars_Elite_Praetorian_Guard_01_grande.jpg

I've collected a few other images in a folder that I'll add to as I find new pics: https://imgur.com/a/j0sOL

I'm thinking that this is armor that could be made from Worbla for a passable cosplay depiction, though for a high-end look vacuformed pieces would need to be created to be screen-accurate. There are designs and indentations in random pieces that would preclude simply heating up and shaping sheets of cut plastic as I might be tempted to do for simple samurai armor.

The chest piece looks unique compared to stormtroopers, but I've only given that a cursory glance. The final flange by the wrist looks like it could be rubber, but I'm guessing that's only for fighting shots.

j5l3yhQ.jpg

If you look at the closeups on the Visual Dictionary, the wrist flange looks like hard plastic with indented details.

nEEHCTh.jpg

So...now I need to finish my Kylo to get my hand back in the costuming game and then start looking at this because I think the designs are really great. Given how much they are pushing them as previews and toys, I'm guessing we'll get at least one fight scene with them.

Who else is pondering a build of this costume? Thoughts on its construction?

Attachments

• CMEoYGB.jpg
    CMEoYGB.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 393
I wasn't a fan of these guards at first, but they're definitely growing on me. I originally thought they were a really strange design for Star Wars, but now I really like how weird they are. Can't wait to see these guys fight on the big screen!

Looking forward to the costumes people put together.

The brief when designing them was apparently based on Samurai armor. And they had to be functional, unlike the the previous Royal Guards. I'm hoping they do some damage. The one sword actually extends into a whip-like weapon.

Yeah they look cooler in action than the initial pictures. Those arms though. It seems this would definitely be better as a foam costume than the typical SW armor path.

I too am considering a go at this.
Definitely doing one for the nephew for the premiere.
Probably go foam on his though.
He is yet to appreciate the uncomfortably stiff, hot, weight and general discomfort of the PVC, styrene, fiberglass builds.

I would like some input if it's ok to post it here?
Anyone wanna through out their estimate on demensions for this particular helmet?
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Give me your best guess.
Robert

He is yet to appreciate the uncomfortably stiff, hot, weight and general discomfort of the PVC, styrene, fiberglass builds.

Anyone wanna through out their estimate on demensions for this particular helmet?
View attachment 759133View attachment 759132
Give me your best guess.
Robert

The left one is different from the focused guard on the image from Entertainment - the left one is the guard on the far left holding the heavy blade on image from Entertainment.

I'll be making a 3D model of this guy and the "hat" guy this week.

View attachment 759133View attachment 759132
Give me your best guess.
Robert

You could pick a size that would fit the wearer's head and use that as a standard to scale everything off of.

There's also a Fathead 'lifesize' figure that is 6' 2". I don't know if 50 bucks is worth it, but maybe that could be used to get a measurement.
https://www.fathead.com/star-wars/s...ian-guard-star-wars-the-last-jedi-wall-decal/

Of course, someone is going to buy an Anovos helmet, so maybe a scale can be obtained for the base of the helmet from there.

have you started your build? i'm curious also how others are building this. just saw the movie yesterday and i loved the praetorian guard fight scene. i think i'll do the arms and legs in 5mm eva foam and the helmet and shoulders thicker eva.

Hello! I'm new to therpf.com, and I actually created my own movie accurate model of the praetorian guard, but since I lack the skills and supplies to 3D print/fiberglass/mold/etc, I had to make it with floor mat foam, so it isn't the greatestPhoto Mar 26, 10 27 04 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 26, 10 27 05 AM.jpg

So very cool.
Foam or not, looks amazing.
Will you be sharing these templates?
Robert
I'd love to, but if you plan on using foam good luck. I'm a 5'5 120 lb skinny guy and i can barely get the costume on. the body piece is just the body piece, no detail (i had to free hand the detail since I made all this before the last jedi came out).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back