PR Grenade clean up - help needed

Psammead

A few weeks ago I picked up a pulse rifle grenade from eBay and after receiving its provenance (Prop Store via a South England auction house) I decided to remove it from its frame. Unfortunately, while it was fixed in place using wire it had also been stuck to the back board and this has left some residue on the piece which I am too inexperienced to try to remove without seeking some advice first.

So is there anything I can do to remove it that won't affect the rust/patina under the adhesive? Will alcohol work providing I am careful not to touch the painted areas? I am unsure if the adhesive is visible in the pictures but any help is, as always, much appreciated.

Thanks

PR Grenade.jpg

Any back story on this, especially the mentioned "provenance"? It looks nothing like the screen used grenades from ALIENS.

I know and I still need to.drop Prop Store a line regarding this in case someone is misusing their name. That said there are some examples of identical grenades sold as production made through Profiles in the mid-2000s (on my phone at the minute so I can't find the exact lot and auction) so it could be good. I figured at the price point it was worth a gamble and if it's a fake then it's a fake and it'll make an interesting paperweight if nothing else.

Rumor is these were made for Alien 3. The commandos have some grenades on their sleeves. But to my knowledge these particular style of grenade were never proven to be production made or used.

alien 319200.jpg

You could try heating it with a hair dryer to soften up whatever adhesive was used, then use your nail or a flat sharp edge to remove it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back