Suggestion Potential for a New Membership Level?

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is something that I think I suggested in a site update thread a little over a year ago, but the thought keeps coming back to me, so I decided what's the harm in giving it its own thread.

We already have Regular Members and Premium Members, but would it ever be possible to include a level like "Verified Seller," to help people better decide who they want to buy from in the JY?

My thinking on it is this: have the member's pay something a nominal fee (Like $5-10 a year) for the ability to get the badge, and in order to actually verify them, once a year, they would be sent a letter to their address on record. The letter would contain a code that they would enter here (or email to a mod, or whatnot) The same could be done via phone as well for an added level of verification.

Obviously there should be some initial hurdles to getting this badge (X number of months on the board, X number of successful transactions, etc) but think it could be an interesting concept to pursue.

Another thing that could tie in nicely with this is a seller rating, similar to the iTrader plugin for vBulletin or eBay's rankings. With open registration the risk is always that we're going to get a few fly-by-night shady characters, and having some level of feedback, or at the very least a verified address and phone number on record for people could help to allay some fears.

...short of setting up an RPF escrow service (Don't worry, Art, I'm not suggesting that) it one of the few things I can think of to improve the already great service.

Thoughts? Am I just crazy? (Don't answer that last one :lol)

-Nick

having a paid membership to verify sellers makes the rpf open to lawsuits as they offer a trading platform in exchange for money. im not sure if theres a way around it and how the specific laws for this are in the us, but im guessing its more or less the same. just wanted to point this out.

having a paid membership to verify sellers makes the rpf open to lawsuits as they offer a trading platform in exchange for money. im not sure if theres a way around it and how the specific laws for this are in the us, but im guessing its more or less the same. just wanted to point this out.

The easiest way around that is the fee is for "address verification services only." The Junkyard would still be trading post style, but those who wanted a verified address could do so, and because no fee is required to actually buy or sell, it's easily demonstrated that the fee is NOT for access or use of the trading platform.

I don't know what they're cooking up behind the scenes though, so that loophole probably isn't even necessary with what's coming down the pike.

Guess we'll see...

-Nick

Nick,

We are going to be addressing this somewhat. However, we, as a site, are never likely to offer a "Verified Seller" option, as much as I know our members would appreciate it because that would leave us more open to legal action from our members if we in any way "confirm" a seller and then that seller flakes out. One class action suit from disgruntled members could potentially devastate the whole community.

While we will be addressing certain things in regard to access to the Junkyard and the reputation of sellers, sales will always be considered private transactions between a buyer and a seller and that is something we really don't want to change due to the tremendous responsibility it would place on the site which would include many potential pitfalls and only a minimal amount of upswing.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back