POTC Davy Jones' pipe reduxe FINISHED!

Rhett J Martin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've recently been getting poked and prodded by a few members to make a few more of these pipes I did way back in '08/09, and I've always been a bit reticent about doing so. I'm very fond of my first non Ghostbuster prop, but I've always felt going backwards, is, well, going backwards. My mind changed recently upon meeting an old customer, as well as stumbling upon an old leftover casting while getting the studio cleaned and reorganized. So, all the odd little pushes on this old prop, led me to taking another look at it, and updating the design and the accuracy of the prop.

I started with the old casting.

oldpipe.jpg

I reshaped and smoothed the stem, then I chopped the stem at the lip. From two left over cast resin pieces, I 'machined' new lip pieces on my Dremel. These are much more accurate, and also add much needed length to the stem itself, which I always felt looked a bit stubby.

newstemandlip.jpg

When I first made this prop, I completely made up the bottom of the piece, deciding to make it look like the Tia Dalma lockets, thinking in my own head that the pipe was a gift from Calypso for Jones and the lockets were part of that. I used the 'mouth' of the face to be the spot where you could turn on the flickering light inside the bowl. Upon discussing the real prop with the maker, I found out that the foot of the pipe is just a plain crab shell. The front claws also go down a bit further than my original sculpt, so I added to that, thus creating the correct shape. I also added the rear crab legs onto the body this time, and instead of casting separate pieces, I'll just be Dremeling out the space.

roughsculpt.jpg

Once all of that was matched up and sculpted together, I had a much more convincing and accurate pipe. I'll be creating new front pincers, and adding a bit of sandy crust to the rest of the pipe to really grunge it up. Once cast, I'll be switching to small magnets to make the foot of the pipe removable instead of the open mouth, thus making access to the flicker lights much, much easier. This will also enable the batteries to be changed. The original design has to be cracked open to change the batteries, although they did have 40 hours or so of life.

newpipesculpt.jpg

newsculpt2.jpg

I've also re-sculpted the base; the cloth Chest key drawing, sticking closely to the original sculpt, but making the size much more accurate, and adding a lovely canvas texture with crumbled wrinkles. The slightly larger size means that you'll be able to fit the MR locket and key on the base as well, and maybe even some of Jack's rings. This will be getting touched up during the week.

newbasefn.jpg

I'm looking forward to casting this over the next weekend, and getting a few of these into people's hands that have been bugging me for years to get one (you know who you are;)).

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Re: POTC Davy Jones' pipe REDUX

All done and ready for a pink slime bath!!

Really a fun distraction getting to redo this little guy.

pipemaster2.jpg

I'd have pics of the base up, but it's already in silicone!!

I'm going to cast the pipe tomorrow and have a casting done by Friday night!

What fun!!

I'll pop up a FS thread in the JY to get everyone who's already hopped in updated and the like, and if anyone would like to join in, more the merrier!! :)

So I'm getting my home computer nonsense sorted out, as well as catching up on some overdue projects, and I finally had a quick chance to finish up a pipe for my self, and get some comparison photos up for you guys.

Here are the different versions of the pipe side by side

You won't notice to much has changed, other than the big changes of the stem and the base. The newer pipe (right) also has a much more subdued paint job. I used less pearl colors on the top, and gave it much more of a weathered wash.

The base has ALOT more texture and detail now, and looks much more like it should. I was very happy with the canvas texture, and I've since learned a few more tricks to make the key drawing look more washed out and soaked.

Overall, I'm really happy with how this came out, and am DEFINATLY going to be taking a stab at past project makeovers, and have actually already started on two. ;) Not telling which ones though.

Hope you all got a kick out of this little quicky!
I'm going to be doing a tiny run of these if anyone wants one. Check the JY!!

Last edited:

I guess these aren't the pictures you posted? funny looking pipe if it was...
It seems like there is more interest if you want to make some money :)

So I'm getting my home computer nonsense sorted out, as well as catching up on some overdue projects, and I finally had a quick chance to finish up a pipe for my self, and get some comparison photos up for you guys.

Here are the different versions of the pipe side by side
http://www.therpf.com/members/hotshot/albums/stuff/12552-twopipes.jpg
You won't notice to much has changed, other than the big changes of the stem and the base. The newer pipe (right) also has a much more subdued paint job. I used less pearl colors on the top, adn gave it much more of a weathered wash.

http://www.therpf.com/members/hotshot/albums/stuff/12554-twopipessidebysdie.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/members/hotshot/albums/stuff/12553-twopipesbottom.jpg

The base has ALOT more texture and detail now, and looks much more like it should. I was very happy with the canvas texture, and I've since learned a few more tricks to make the key drawing look more washed out and soaked.

http://www.therpf.com/members/hotshot/albums/stuff/12550-base.jpg

Overall, I'm really happy with how this came out, and am DEFINATLY going to be taking a stab at past project makeovers, and have actually already started on two. ;) Not telling which ones though.

http://www.therpf.com/members/hotshot/albums/stuff/12551-pipe.jpg

Hope you all got a kick out of this little quicky!
I'm going to be doing a tiny run of these if anyone wants one. Check the JY!!

I can see the PM's now!! "I've just gotta get one of your B-Wing pipes!!"

I'll get those pics fixed, and see what I might have lying around to do a run later on. You never know!

It would be really awesome if you could make another small run.
Its truly a work of art

I can see the PM's now!! "I've just gotta get one of your B-Wing pipes!!"

I'll get those pics fixed, and see what I might have lying around to do a run later on. You never know!

So I finally had an opportunity to sit and catch my breath after working a long Black Friday, and I spent it in my studio trying to take inventory and go thorugh old molds and supplies and see what needed to get used up. I had enough resin left over to knock out some Davy Jones Pipes and even get molding on my next Redux prop. Right now I have four molded and prepped for installs and paint, and could probably get 6 or 7 total, so I'll PM those of you that wanted one and we'll get ya one! Bad news is that the mold is on its last legs, so this will probably be the last of them . . . forever :(

Tried to reach him myself...must be incommunicado for the time being. Hope all is well...

Rob

Sent from [location encrypted]...somewhere on the Tharkside of Barsoom ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back