Possible Helmet Making Technique

88OrBust

Anyone every thought of sculpting a helmet out of clay and then taking paper and doing a paper mache technique except in place of a paste mixture using resin. Of course you would have to do it in sections using a slow curing resin because of the fact that the resin would cure in your mixing bowl. Give me you feedback, do you think this work work.

Quite honestly, I don't think it's a good idea. It would be very costly for one thing, and what could be a lot of wasted resin that may cure before being completely used.

I had used paper mache and wheat (wallpaper) paste for a helmet build and it worked out fine. http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-cardboard-rocketeer-helmet-85689/

My brother, after seeing the results of my build, used paper mache with white glue and water for his own add on parts for a Robotech helmet using a motorcycle helmet as a base. It worked very well for him. But he did say that sanding between built up layers was very tough and I think he had some shrinking issues as well.

You could do that, but I really don't recommend it. If you were to go this route, you probably should use fiberglass cloth and matte and fiberglassing resin (from Home Depot or Lowes). Unless you're using a coarse paper it probably won't take resin too well, and you might as well use fiberglass because it will be much stronger and you won't have to do as many layers. As for the slow curing resin, that will only cause you problems for a project like this. Gravity would be working against you and it would make things much harder for you. If you pour the resin in small batches you won't waste much and it cures fast enough (if you mix it right) that it shouldn't take too long to do. The down side to doing it this way is that you won't have any surface details and the shape will change slightly as you build up.

What other ways are there to make helmets then beside pepakura.

If you're skilled enough you can do the clay method, just will be very expensive. Let alone all the supplies you need after your sculpt.

There really isn't any more options (that I know of...as of now) except what has already been said, unless..UNLESS you are very good with popsicle sticks. You can use it as a rounded "base" and cover it with "insert medium here"

That MIGHT work, but again, if you have the resources and the money, by all means, don't let us stop you!

Clay costs vs. Paper costs + materials for either said items, weighing those options are always key.

For most of us...well me, I try to put costs before I do any type of build. From start to finish, I try to rationalize if it will be cost effective so I don't have to eat top ramen for a week or 2.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back