Suggestion Possible creation of subforums?

Karmac

I like the forums and enjoy reading them, but maybe having sub-forums in the main divisions would be nice.

I'm sure this has been suggested before but I didn't see it on the first page or two so I thought I'd bring it up again.

It is very unlikely that you will see a lot of subforums... although we are desperately looking for better ways to organize the massive amount of data here on the site.

We have a solution, it is just a matter of having the resources to implement it, but for us, it could/would be a game changer.

I just think it'd be nice to have some basic distinctions in information

Replica Costumes

- Drawing Board (projects in their early stages looking for sugestions and ideas)
- In Progress ( looking for help with a particular problem )
- Completed Works ( showing off your coolest new accomplishment)

there is a wealth of information and it would like you said be great to see it more easy to sort and access.

I was thinking about subforums in the junkyard lol though I imagine that would be a pain in the butt. But a genre subforum or something so its easier to find specific item types like scifi props versus horror props. though scifi would probably then warrant its own sub subforums. never ending cycle!

Yay search function. :)

I was thinking about subforums in the junkyard lol though I imagine that would be a pain in the butt. But a genre subforum or something so its easier to find specific item types like scifi props versus horror props. though scifi would probably then warrant its own sub subforums. never ending cycle!

Yay search function. :)

I enjoy a search, when I have something in mind, but let's not over look the classic value of "the browse"

:) I guess right now "the hunt" might be more rewarding than a browse... but I never said I wasn't lazy :p

I just think it'd be nice to have some basic distinctions in information

Replica Costumes

- Drawing Board (projects in their early stages looking for suggestions and ideas)
- In Progress ( looking for help with a particular problem )
- Completed Works ( showing off your coolest new accomplishment)

there is a wealth of information and it would like you said be great to see it more easy to sort and access.

What he said.

I find the Replica Movie Props forum almost unusable due to the fact that it's a mad jumble of contents, and posts can literally be pushed to page 2 within hours. Too much traffic, not enough distinction.

I'd also love to see a "technique" forum - where people can talk about HOW they do things (or ask).

I know this has been said before but.....we have enough subforums.

My suggestion would be to learn to use the search and advanced search functions to find what you want. With a little effort, you will find just about anything you want.

Many new members complain that there is no tutorial/ do it for me section with step by step (instructables) instructions. Or the forumn is not organized enough with subsections, subforums, Windows pull down menus etc etc. so I can find out the exact pepakura scaled size for my iron man.

I think there is a misconception out there is that this board is responsible for teaching you how to _________ (fill in the blank).

This place is more like the Library of Congress. You will have to compile a list of titles to check out...you will have to read multiple articles....take copious notes and the particular volume you need may be on the top shelf, which means you might need to use a ladder.

All the information is there but it is up to you to do the research.

Instead of further dividing the forums, why not add a hidden pane of filters to the boards. Don't want to see Iron Man builds? Uncheck that box and it will go by the tags we're allowed to put onto our threads. Want to read up on BTTF props? Check that box!

...it's not perfect, (Since it relies on tags) but I already don't visit all the boards here, I can't imagine how much more fragmented the experience would be with further sub forums.

-Nick

Instead of further dividing the forums, why not add a hidden pane of filters to the boards. Don't want to see Iron Man builds? Uncheck that box and it will go by the tags we're allowed to put onto our threads. Want to read up on BTTF props? Check that box!

...it's not perfect, (Since it relies on tags) but I already don't visit all the boards here, I can't imagine how much more fragmented the experience would be with further sub forums.

-Nick
We had been working on implementing just such a system, and much of the behind the scenes stuff had been completed, then the hack/theft, and a number of other higher priority things took precedent. Moving to vB4 has now taken over as the number one priority. Getting that done, and making sure it's stable should then lead us to the implementation of a number of these types of mods.

I'm far more interested in what you might call serendipitous finds, which is not something that search is useful.

And a wee bit I'm kind of saddened to see that someone can post a question, and have it rapidly slip to page 3 and beyond with only a few views. Once a post gets on page 2, it's probably a gonner except for those with a lot of time to just browse.

I'm far more interested in what you might call serendipitous finds, which is not something that search is useful.

We have three different irons in the fire to address that issue and to expand the ability of our members to find cool content via the Discovery method vs Search.

And a wee bit I'm kind of saddened to see that someone can post a question, and have it rapidly slip to page 3 and beyond with only a few views. Once a post gets on page 2, it's probably a gonner except for those with a lot of time to just browse.

We have a love/hate relationship with our growth. We are thrilled to see so much content being posted to the RPF (between 1,500 and 2,000 post a day), but you are right, it does mean things drop off the front page VERY fast. However, we are very very hesitant to create many more subforms as sites with a plethora of subforums usually feel very dead and stagnant, plus, members usually only visit a few forums on a site and the more subforums you create, the more cool content they miss.

My four categories for posts would be...

• I'm working on...
  • I want to make...
  • I made...
  • How do I...

Split the two biggest forums (props with 30k posts, and costumes with 15k posts), and leave the other ones as single forums unless they grow.

And I agree that creating lots of empty forums is not necessarily a good thing.

Take a look at Video Games - the RPF Gallery for example. That's not only a big empty space, but it's also so finely specific that it's not clear how to find or post any content from a game not listed.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back