Possible Clamp

kermit

So I have this prototype Vader ANH saber that I test new things on, like 3d printed grips and such, and I found this bike flashlight clamp in my garage that I thought I should use. I know the knobs are off and the size isn't right, that was an accident, but would it look better without the side fins?
image 2.jpeg

So I have this prototype Vader ANH saber that I test new things on, like 3d printed grips and such, and I found this bike flashlight clamp in my garage that I thought I should use. I know the knobs are off and the size isn't right, that was an accident, but would it look better without the side fins?
View attachment 579257

The fins look interesting. I'd like to see how looks on a handle.

I kind of like 'em... It's different. If you could get them off and then smooth out the area so you couldn't tell they'd been removed I'm sure it would look great too. They're distinctive, but I could see how they might feel a little bulky too.

I kind of like 'em... It's different. If you could get them off and then smooth out the area so you couldn't tell they'd been removed I'm sure it would look great too. They're distinctive, but I could see how they might feel a little bulky too.
what would be a good way to cut them? i considered like a coping saw but that might be too messy. Maybe a something with heat?

Yeah maybe a hot knife or exacto, then clean it up with increasing grits of sandpaper to smooth it all out? It does look cool with the fins though. Tough call!

Yeah maybe a hot knife or exacto, then clean it up with increasing grits of sandpaper to smooth it all out? It does look cool with the fins though. Tough call!
Oh, and a side note, should I drill holes into my pipe to make it look more like a real MPP? it looks fine without it, I just am trying to go for authentic.

That could be cool. With custom sabers you get to decide what's "authentic" and what isn't, so I say go where your imagination takes you and have fun with it.

Nice! Does it go all the way around the saber? The fins are cool. But if it's plastic then just dremel the fins off, sand down what's left and paint.

I wouldn't try to pass it off as an MPP clamp but it's a nice part for a custom saber! I would cut the fins down real short instead of trying to eliminate them altogether. They'd still add an extra element of detail that way. You could always remove them after if you don't like the way it looks.

That´s a great idea.
I wouldn't try to pass it off as an MPP clamp but it's a nice part for a custom saber! I would cut the fins down real short instead of trying to eliminate them altogether. They'd still add an extra element of detail that way. You could always remove them after if you don't like the way it looks.

I agree with not trying to make this look like an exact Vader clamp. There's something aesthetically pleasing about it looking related to, but not the same as an OT sabre part. Given the number of replica clamps available, I say use this one for a custom/personal sabre because it looks cool.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back