Possible bad deal with Bimmer

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Superman, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Superman

Superman Active Member

I was advised by the RPF Staff to post this thread here. Im looking for somebody that knows Bimmer personally or knows how to get a hold of him, maybe through an email address or a phone number. I have his paypal address but have had No luck getting a hold of him through it.
    Five or Six of us on RPF have signed up and paid in full for his Thor Hammer run and have not heard from him since final payment was made.http://www.therpf.com/f13/thor-movie-hammer-new-capstone-11-17-11-a-121786/
    I've tried reaching him through Pm, email, and Facebook ... No response. Paypal cant do anything about it as far as refund because its been over 45 days since last payment. So i guess we just have to wait and hope he comes back. If anybody can help with locating Bimmer i would be very appreciative.
    Thanks

2. fettster

fettster Sr Member

thats a blow.

if you pay paypal via a credit card, get in touch with them and do a charge back, paypal cant stop them and paypal will refund you and chase bimmer to pay them back

3. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Last time he was on here was on 26 December.

4. Superman

Superman Active Member

Thanks fettster, thats good advice I'm going to look into that.

5. fettster

fettster Sr Member

your welcome, just hope it all works out for you

6. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

He hasn't been on the fake site since that date either, so that isn't it.

7. Kromanc

Kromanc Member

I'm looking for bimmer since I am one of the several members that pay for the thor hammer, I really am worried since I had to deal with a fraudulent guy just a couple of months ago, hope this turns out to be a misurderstanding and we get either our money back or the hammer.

8. lukebrynycz

lukebrynycz Well-Known Member

I guess that's the gamble with paying for things on an open community. Perhaps he's got personal issues, or possibly worse. I will always pay using my CC on PayPal or maybe just send half payment and the rest when it arrives.

Hope everything works out lads, genuinely feel for ya. It's not always the money, but the excitement of waiting for that 'one off prop'.

9. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This isn't going to help but I wanted to voice my opinion of this deal.

Whenever I purchase anything, it's with the understanding that if I don't have my item by day 40 after payment I will put in a Paypal dispute. No exceptions.
    Now, say there is a run and the person needs the money up front to buy materials. No problem. However, they have 40 days from time of payment to have the item in my hand. If on day 40 they say I need two more weeks, I politely request a refund and I will pay in full again when the item is done. I will also give the option of filing the Paypal dispute which will buy them another 30 days but I'm still protected as I put in the dispute before the 45 day mark.
    Now, let's say someone is doing a run but they tell you it will be 3 months before it's ready and they need the money now. No sale. I'll wait till it's done and pay then. But what if I miss out on that awesome prop? It's a gamble I'm willing to take. I'd rather do without than to take a chance with my cash.

10. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

We do seem to keep repeating this advice...over and over.

11. CeSquared

CeSquared Sr Member

The best advice ever given on this board.

12. Thibault

Thibault Sr Member

That's an awesome advise... But I would add a bemolle :
    It might also depend of the propmaker's reputation... I could wait one year for an SDS or a Matsuo prop, and trust them without hesitation !

13. Superman

Superman Active Member

That's Very Smart Funky Jedi. I will follow this advice from now on. I've never had a bad deal on RPF so far. Every member i've done business with has been wonderful and very professional, but this deal isnt looking so good.
    I have been PM'd by a few helpful members one who reminded me of a thread Bimmer posted last year that is very similar to the Thor Hammer one. I think the only difference is when he disappeared from that thread he hadn't received any payments yet.
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-green-lantern-movie-ring-bimmer-116016/index3.html#post1895516

I've tried a couple other ways to contact Bimmer, so i will post on this thread if i've been able to reach him.

14. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Oh, definitely. I've waited on stuff from Rylo, but he is beyond reproach. There are a few others I would trust like that hear, but for the most part, they have at least 5+ years as a member/crafter.

15. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. Jedifyfe

Jedifyfe Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree! If the seller can't make good on the timeframe and I need to forfiet getting it to get my money back then so be it.

17. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

I´m completly trustworthy ...... believe me. :love

18. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would never sell any shields if the folks did this. I need the downpayments up front, but it takes longer than 40 -45 days to finish 10-20 shields in a run.

19. Onkelpsycho

Onkelpsycho Sr Member

Im sure even now trusted sellers were not trusted sellers when you purchased the first time from them.

Don't want to throw with names now, but Im sure you and a lot of other guys pay sometimes for something, what needs more than 40 days, even more than 60 or 90 days...

I think no-one is safe and it can happen to everyone, even deals with sellers without any negative feedback can go wrong.

Thank god, I never had any trouble with sellers.
    I don't follow this 40days rule, but that doesn't make any sense at all, because the props need sometimes about 3-4 weeks to arrive. Thats the problem with international orders.

I think the best way is, to watch which seller is a trusted member, look how active he is in the RPF and if he had any deals in the past and what he offers.

I think many users won't purchase something in the $400 price range from a member registered a week ago with 6 posts.

20. Funky

Chris, that's unfortnate. I completely understand you needing the downpayment up front and that it takes longer than 45 to make. That's my loss (because your shields really are works of art) however, how else would a buyer protect themselves?
    What if you decided (and I'm certainly NOT implying that you would ever do this) to just up and move with everybody's cash and not trouble yourself with any more shields? (we've actually seen this happen with reputable, long-standing members) How does the buyer retrieve his funds? Sure you can contact the police but it's a headache and only turns up mixed results. To be honest, it's very difficult to get your money back if you've been scammed short of showing up on their doorstep.

21. Funky

Okay, to be fair, maybe there are a few exceptions. :$

22. Stuntman Mike

Stuntman Mike Active Member

I sincerely hope you guys get this resolved. I am dealing with a similar issue with a guy who makes Nightmare on elm street gloves. Paid in full a long time ago. No glove, and now he won't answer emails (many many emails). Wish I had taken Funky Jedi's route. I definitely will in the future.

23. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oh i understand, buyers need protection, but somethings just take longer than 40 - 45 days to make.

24. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Thanks heaven for being fair...:)

Very true...

25. Superman

Superman Active Member

Is anybody friends with Bimmer on Facebook ? If so is there any activity? I mean did this dude just drop off the face of the Earth or what.

26. terryr

terryr Sr Member

That's another thing to keep in mind. Are there other ways of contacting the person? Home phone, email, address, real name, etc. Say you need to use a postal money order.

27. Alan Castillo

From the link you posted, I think the answer is yes. That was quite an apology he wrote there.

I do hope he comes through for you guys eventually, as this time, he has money.

I'll just put it here for ease of reference.

28. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I just cringe when I see new members offering high-end runs with no track record behind them. I hope this works out for you guys.

While nobody deserves to be taken advantage of, buyers really have to do their homework on sellers these days. Ask to see what they've made in the past. If they can't show you anything similar to the proposed gig, RUN!

Some of you new guys should remember you can always ask any of the old-timers here what they think of a given seller or propmaker. They'll shoot ya straight!

-Rylo

29. jason_ehl

jason_ehl Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great advice from all.

CC companies can be very helpful. You are their client...not the vendor...so they most often want to keep YOU happy.

I find it interesting that personal sob stories (quite a novel written above) are never mentioned while interest and payments are being taken...and only present themselves when the s**t hits the fan.

EVERYONE has issues...even vedors and parts suppliers. I guess the difference when dealing with a professional is that personal issues play out behind the scenes so the actual business can be concentrated on between all parties that are involved.

Take as long as you estimate to make it...1 week, 4 weeks, 1/2 a year...but keep the communication open (once in a while...dont need a novel about how things are going)

No communication at all = no deal

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  30. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

31. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Don´t take/give money in advance - the item should be in hand when offered, or at least when money is requested. OR handled within the paypal timeframe, including shipping.

No money to pay in front to make a run of 20 before asking for customers money? Make a run in batches of 5, after it is finished make another run of 5, then the next ..... That way you can easily replace any bad customer that jumps off before payment with another from the next batch. Or whatever batch size suits you.

I´ve had my own share off "i take it, put it away i will pay next month" and then jumping off (not only newbies, also loooong and well known members, and not only for small amounts), no need to say that other interested guys went of in that time and bought another one while i hold things for the first "buyer".

Or people who asked me to machine something for them. I don´t ask money upfront, only when i have the part in hand - some vanished, right. Then i (usually) had another one waiting for something like that, or i´ve put it in the parts box for later. And for more expensive stuff i may ask for a small amount for a down payment, just to ensure his interest until it´s ready.

But i don´t ask full payment before starting. The customer gets a pic with his parts ready for shipping before he gets my paypal adress.

32. Cmdr.Kerner

Cmdr.Kerner Sr Member

That reminds me when fans are ordering PADDs from me, usually I let them know of every single step of the production process with pictures.

They already know the price and shipping costs in advance, but when I'm sending the picture of the finished PADD including my bank account or PayPal address, I'll never here from them again....

I'm really in the mood to make a black list of these people.

Just my two cents

Dietrich

33. Funky

Nothing wrong with that. I've been building my "blacklist" for the last 12 years. It currently has 31 people on it (there used to be more but those individuals have been banned :lol)
    Oh, and before anyone asks, I will NOT share my list. Not because I'm a big ole meanie but because it's my personal list. My "blacklist" isn't just for people who have a reputation of bad sales but people who are very slow in shipping, do shoddy work, don't reply to e-mails, don't give updates, elitests, general d-bags and recasters.

34. Superman

Superman Active Member

Yeah this sounds like a great idea to me as well. :darnkids

35. Superman

Superman Active Member

Just an Update: Some of us on the Bimmer Thor Hammer run are able to get most if not all our money back by disputing the credit card charges. Still some payments can not be disputed/returned if payed with paypal balance and over the 45 day time limit. In a situation like this where the member (seller) is obviously avoiding all emails,pm, and messages not only from the members on his run but the RPF Staff. Not attempting to fulfill their Run obligations or notify of progress or problems, Is Bimmer to be banned from RPF?

36. Alan Castillo

I think that point hasn't been reached yet. I believe that some time should be given for him to respond. I'm sure the mods have contacted him already. Banning him at this stage would simply cut off an avenue of communication to the detriment of all involved.

He does seem to have the habit of vanishing for a time, so maybe he'll be back soon and do good. I hope so anyway.

If anyone has his phone number, they should give him a tinkle.

37. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe he's in prison...

38. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Or Lost in space.

39. Endoskeleton

Endoskeleton Active Member

I may have been one of the last guys in contact with him here. He had asked about molding/casting the Thor Hammer. Sorry to hear about this and that I have nothing more to add. It was the first and only time I've spoken to him. This is really too bad because he's got a great knack for the type of work he did.

40. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

If he's in the military, he may not be able to contact anyone. They don't always give you advance notice before they yank you out onto a jet to some foreign desert.

I checked the 405th site, and his last activity was 07-17-2011 02:13 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think rep points should be used as an indication of transaction satisfaction. Perhaps something like this could be implemented in the future. I haven't purchased anything from anyone here because I have no idea who to trust to buy from. At the same time, I haven't offered up anything to sell because nobody really knows if I will deliver goods as promised. With all of the shipping hassles of props getting mangled during shipping, It's just a big headache on top of that to wonder if you are about to get ripped off.

This has become a massive resource for replicas and I believe that offering some kind of indication for buyers and sellers to see would help to diminish the "I'm calling you out" threads. It would give me more faith in a buyer/seller to see some sort of "Trusted Seller" or "Trusted buyer" icon under their avatar.

-- my 2 cents

41. Jimmyd728

Jimmyd728 New Member

I sent Bimmer a e-mail simply asking for a refund this weekend and today, he did send me a full refund via paypal. No note attached, just the automated note from paypal.

42. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  43. Alan Castillo

There you go.

Hope he does good to all those who paid :) :thumbsup

44. Kromanc

Kromanc Member

Just send him emails and a message on facebook, hope I get my money back. Keep you guys posted if any news.

Jerry

45. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Wow.. First Boomer, now Bimmer?....Bummer!

46. Superman

Superman Active Member

There has been Contact.
    After numerous emails and pm's to Bimmer i finally received a response.

He said:
    "I'm working on transferring more funds to my PayPal account to refund everyone. Expected date is the 10th."

He didn't say what had happened or why he hadn't replied back sooner. I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. If WE get our money back i will be very happy, it has been a lot of work tracking him down , trying to contact him, and on the phone with credit card companies as well as paypal. What a nightmare!

47. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

That, and the fact the hammer you all have had your sights set on for months and months ...ain't happening. Not only a refund, but everyone deserves an explanation and apology as well.

48. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My guess? The payments he received from everyone were invested in supplies and other costs to fulfill the orders, and then he was hit with a C&D. So it wouldn't surprise me if he has been trying to free up funds to return to everyone. Doesn't excuse the lack of communication, but that also could be due to the C&D as well.

49. Kromanc

Kromanc Member

I haven't receive any email from bimmer, I just want a day for my refund or an explanation for the 2 month he was missing.

50. rocket20

rocket20 Active Member

How would a C&D prohibit anyone from giving an explanation and apology?