Portal gun build (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by giedrius, Jan 27, 2012.

1. giedrius

giedrius Member

Hi everyone.
    i started making props and costumes about 5 years ago or something like that. But they were all amature level.
    So i decided to make a portal gun, and trie some mor profesional ways of making it.
    i'm planing on making molds for front barrel, front and back sections of shell.

this is what i have so far not ideal or super smoot or realy aurate but much more profesional looking pieces then props i have made before

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If anyone have some sugestions, or critique - i will realy apreciate that.

Cheers
    Giedrius

2. Panzer

Panzer Well-Known Member

Nicely done1 It is coming along well. How is the assembly phase coming?

3. giedrius

giedrius Member

for now only asembly is midle part, that can be asembled. front and rear shells needs to be molded if fiberglass to test fit, (or atleas in aluminum foil just to check how it gona look)

4. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

What materials are you using to make this? I see some wood parts, are the shells wood as well?

5. giedrius

giedrius Member

i use wood for front barrel, i lathed it out of chunck of maple tree. shelss have wodden frame inde them to give aproximate size reference when i am sandig them.

6. giedrius

giedrius Member

Continiuing my work
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Painted main barrel and rear shell in black base coat, both of them will get 2-3 more coats of black paint. barrel then get clear coat of laquer, and rear shell will be molded in fiberglass and polyester resin.

7. giedrius

giedrius Member

Finished painting main barel part, 3 coats of black paint and 2 coats of glosy laquer.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

No molding rear shell in caulk silikone, and gona make it in fiberglas and polyerster resin. Also sanding and putying front shell.