Portal Gun Build by a 14 Year Old (Pic Heavy)

Triple 8 Props

After reading Harrison Krix's blog posts (that's posts plural) over and over again, I decided I needed to make one myself (I should mention my build will be almost exactly the same as his only I'm 14 years old). I started similar to the way he did by making blueprints, and printing them full size. Harrison (of Volpin Props) does sell his blueprints on his store but I decided I wanted to make them myself. I ended up making some super basic blueprints with no claws or extra stuff, just the shells and main body). I did this because I knew I would need the blueprints mostly for the shells and not so much the rest of the body (because it would be sized based on how big the shells end up being). So anyway, here are the blueprints I made that were printed at full size (or what I think is full size) and then cut out.

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG
More updates may take a while. I need to get to Michaels for the florists foam and Home Depot for the PVC for the body. Here's my planned order of building:

1. Blueprints
2. Body (Painted but electronics will be later)
3. Shells (Fully Completed aside form decals)
4. Electronics in Body
5. Attach shells to body
6. Extra Decals (Claws, Wire, Decals, Blood)
7. Finishing stuff

Last edited:
Re: Portal Gun Build

Been working a lot on the Portal Gun a lot lately without updating. First off I would like to say the blueprints seen above ended up being to small and I printed new, bigger ones, later on.

I started with the back piece. It was made out of two, 4 inch PVC couplers put together. I started with hot glue just to hold them together, then I put in super glue and later epoxy putty to further strengthen and fill the seam.

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0135.jpg

Here you can see the epoxy putty that was smeared into the seam then sanded smooth.

IMG_0139.JPG

This piece will be revisited a little later. Now onto the middle section. I started with some 4" PVC and cut it down based on my blueprints.

IMG_0142.jpg

A U shape was then cut out of the PVC with a Dremel and sanded relatively smooth.

IMG_0148.JPG

And then test fitted

IMG_0150.JPG

For the inner piece, I used 3" PVC. This was cut to a length so that it would come out of the front to form the barrel at the end.

IMG_0151.jpg

The shape was then cut out like the other one and test fitted.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.JPG

Now, back to the back piece. I gave it a coat of primer to see what the seam was like.

IMG_0159.JPG

More epoxy putty was then put in the seam and sanded smooth.

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

At this point, I realized I forgot about the electronics that would be at the top, so I cut out a rectangle from the top. This shape will probably be modified later on but it's OK for now. I also discovered the horrible fumes that are made when dremeling thick PVC covered in primer.

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

Last edited:
Re: DIY Portal Gun Build by a 14 Year Old

More Updates!

Now back to the middle piece, I mounted the 3" PVC inside the 4" PVC with a 1/4" thick piece of craft foam between the two to create the proper spacing.

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

Now I had to start filling the seam. I started by making the 4 cut-outs. I cut 8 small right triangles out of some styrene and glued them in place.

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

The proper gaps were then filled with more epoxy putty and sanded smooth.

IMG_0206.JPG

I also added back pieces to the open slots with more styrene.

IMG_0212.JPG

I preparation to fill the remaining opening, I glued strips of foam core inside to act as spacers. This will also give the putty something to sit on rather than being pushed inside. It's hard to see in the pictures but its there. You can also see the layer of hot glue. I'm doing this whole process to minimize the amount of putty I will need to cleanly fill the gap.

IMG_0222.JPG

I just ordered some Apoxie Sculpt on Amazon, so I won't be able to work on this until it shows up on Wednesday. I will be using Apoxie Sculpt instead of plumbers epoxy because it has a longer working time and comes in large quantities. If you don't know what I'm talking about...here's a link: bit.ly/1nqGyuX

Let me know what you guys think so far and keep in mind I'm 14 years old!

Last edited:

Looking great so far but I have a question, does anyone ever get the photo "attachments" to work? they always say invalid link, on any post, across this site. :)

Looking great so far but I have a question, does anyone ever get the photo "attachments" to work? they always say invalid link, on any post, across this site. :)

Nope, they've never worked for me either. I also have no idea how to make them come up as pictures like the other ones. Thanks for the feedback though.

I usually just save the images to my comp and re-upload them on whatever thread I'm posting on

Love that Apoxie Sculpt. Watching this thread and looking forward to when the pics problem gets solved.

Looking good so far. Keep it up.

Thanks so much

I usually just save the images to my comp and re-upload them on whatever thread I'm posting on

Thanks for the advice, I will try it out.

Love that Apoxie Sculpt. Watching this thread and looking forward to when the pics problem gets solved.

Yeah, its great stuff. The pics will hopefully be fixed soon.

Very impressive, kid! I've been watching your stuff on youtube for a little while now. And I've gotta say, for such a young age, you're doing amazing work. Keep it up!

More Updates!

So my Apoxie Sculpt came! I got it in white because it was the cheapest online but I've heard other colors are better.

IMG_0235.JPG

And I started to work it into the large gap between the 2 pieces of PVC. In the photos, you can see the progression from very rough to smooth. Water works wonders with this stuff.

IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

When it dried, I gave it a light sand to get it nice and smooth.

IMG_0257.JPG

And then I did another test fit for good measure.

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

I would also like to thank all of those who have commented so far. I love all the feedback I have been getting and it's the reason I am continuously working and posting. If anybody has any questions on what I am doing, feel free to post it!

This is amazing.
I saw a portal gun recently at Comicon.. this looks pretty much spot on.
Well done.

This looks really awesome. :D I have some of the NECA Portal guns (P-Body, Atlas, and HL2 Gravity), but I I'd been toying with the idea of making my own. And this thread's fanning that desire.

As a random question, what setup will you be using for your lights/sound?

~LK

This looks really awesome. :D I have some of the NECA Portal guns (P-Body, Atlas, and HL2 Gravity), but I I'd been toying with the idea of making my own. And this thread's fanning that desire.

As a random question, what setup will you be using for your lights/sound?

~LK

Thanks for the feedback. Considering I know nothing about electronics, the ones in the portal gun will be extremely basic and there won't be any sounds. It will simply light up blue and orange. I am building this mostly as a display piece so only lighting up is OK with me. If I planned on unsing this for as part of a costume, I would pend time learning the techniques needed to have sounds.

Thanks for the feedback. Considering I know nothing about electronics, the ones in the portal gun will be extremely basic and there won't be any sounds. It will simply light up blue and orange. I am building this mostly as a display piece so only lighting up is OK with me. If I planned on unsing this for as part of a costume, I would pend time learning the techniques needed to have sounds.

Gotcha. Sounds cool, and I can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

~LK

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back