Portal 2 Wheatley EVA Foam Build

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Daughter and I are going to O-Com-icon in Omaha next weekend (and to visit my Dad).

Doing a "quickie" build of Wheatley from Portal 2 to (hopefully) have my Dad carry around -he's not the type to cosplay.

Covered an old basketball in duct tape to make my preliminary sketches (oops, finger)

Pieces cut and removed from basketball (and it even survived the process)

Paper templates for inner sphere cut and pinned to EVA

EVA pieces cut and heat formed

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
this looks really nice already keep it up. also are you just going to use foam or other stuff.
I will use styrene for the interior side rails and PVC pipe for the handles, other than that it should be EVA.

Progress update:

Assembly of inner shell

Added outer shell

Sanded/shaped outer shell and top and bottom detail added

Eye "lens" added

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Side rail and top detail added

Sealed with black Plastidip

I'm not happy with the ring around the eye and I think the lens piece is too small. Currently doing a lot of sanding and priming to smooth the surface but I think I'll be redoing those pieces.

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Lots of progress!

Completed final sand/shape and added the basic colors

Crated the supports and "eyebrows"

Painted and attached -light weathering added (more to come)

Next up, final weathering, the light/eye and the back plug.

CJ2319

Cool. If you have time you should add a sound board so he can tell people that they might have a very minor case of severe brain damage.

Snow Builder

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a great build. What are the details on your spray booth? I see a filter in the background.
Thanks for the compliment. It's my work table -just a box fan with a filter on it -good for dust collecting when I'm making sawdust as well as for when I'm painting.

I'm nearing the finish line, light installed, back finished and a little more grunge.