Popeye, the movie...am I the only person who knows this exists?

Have you been to the village Alan? It would be surreal to wander around there. :)

Way, way, way too many times. It's a 5 minutes drive away from my house :lol

Haven't been in years though. Last time was by boat around 5 years ago.

It broke the routine seeing it from a different angle :lol

will miss this man..
love this movie..have the vhs, dvd and other formats. Grew up watching this and defending it on the play ground with a good old metal Popeye lunch box.
Its strange that Disney did have a little part in making this movie. Not sure on the back ground on that. I hate musicals but this film like Muppet movies are fun to listen to and the songs are great.
Off to the races....suck n lemons to win

Alan
Would love to get a post card from the Village in Malta

I agree. Popeye was one of the best performances by Robin Williams, and I grew up watching that film. I will miss him too.

I posted a pic of me in Malta in Popeyes village somewhere here.....

Funny thing is.....I was going over for a trip (work) and there was something just screaming in the back of my head the whole way over the pond. In the middle of the night, it hit me......THIS IS WHERE POPEYE WAS FILMED!!!!!! a little bit of interneting and Blamo....its a tourist attraction!

If you have the ability to go, its off the charts cool.

I loved the film and the set. I've been there far too many times! But I do enjoy walking around the buildings that are open and there is 1 thats shows a video about the construction of the set. It's amazing. Plus the video room is air-conditioned :lol

I used to have a "making of" paperback that talked about all the problems with the forearm makeup. I wish I still had that, it was a good read. I need to rent that and watch it again, it's been ages since I've seen it. I have the "I yam what I yam" 45 record tucked away in a box that I bought when the movie came out. I need to find it.

Just purchased this of Amazon for $2 :)

Watched it they day after they announced Robin's passing. One of my favorites since I was a kid. Always get a laugh out of all the morons in the town, and that taxman.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..."

I have to say I found the movie a bit odd :p I loved how accurate it was compared to the cartoon (that I loved as a kid), but the fact they made it real and kept the weird cartoon humour, I always found this a bit bizarre xD

I always thought it was really good for what it was, even if it wasn't a mega hit. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it on dvd.

I have family in malta, so when i went to visit back in 2011 i had to make sure i did'nt miss seeing this old film set. It was great fun, i loved watching the movie as a kid and seeing the village in such an intimate way has provided me with an even better connection to a childhood memory.
Plus, the film plays on a loop continuiously, so you can sit and re-watch it as many times as you want! :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back