Popeye, the movie...am I the only person who knows this exists?

Like many of you, I have fond memories watching this as a kid in the early 1980's. I seem to recall really enjoying it.

So, I NetFlixed the DVD...

Horrible.

I turned it off after 30 minutes.

Loved it then, still love it now! I must have paid to see this one in the theater at least 20 times (I took each of my nephews to see it several times). The Harry Nilsson lyrics are so cheesy, ya gotta love 'em!
"Sweet Swee'Haven, God must love us, Why else would he strand us here, Hooray for us!"
"Everything is Meat, Meat, Meat! Careful what you put on your feet! Now it walks around with you! Everything is FOOOD!"
"I may not be as Physikist, but I knows what matters"
"Trouble, Trouble, Trouble, Trouble, Trouble! Must be the local Glum Club."
In my opinion, "Stay with me/Sail with me" has got to be one of the most romantic songs ever written!
Popeye: "I've been sailin' 'bout the seven seas"
Olyve: "And I've been waiting for a man like you to stay with me"
Popeye: "Sail with me"
Together: "Sail/Stay with me!"

Last edited:
I love Robin Williams, but that dude is seriously half Wookie.

I loved this movie and the Day I saw it on sale as DVD I literally shouted "BOUGHT!" In the Store then looked around as every one was staring at me.

As for Robins Hairy Arms I tend to remember an interview he did somewhere where He mentioned those arm prosthetics were partially to blame for his Hairy Arms as the had to glue them on and rip out the hair to remove it. Or Shave his arms regularly during the shoot. Either way...

I dont know If I should say this but Oh well.I have ripped my DVD to Computer so I could cut out some of the Funnier Musical portions and put them on my iPod so I could take them with me. I have even thought while watching them: "you know they have Spiderman the Musical on Broadway. Why not adapt this movie to a Stage Musical and go for Gold!" Then I tend to "wake up and smell the homeless" ( Robin Williams quote form Aladdin)

I'm really digging the Japanese poster...
popeyejapposter207copy.jpg

I've not read this entire thread, but OF COURSE I know about this movie!

The funny thing is it "did so badly" because people didn't know it was like the comics and not like the cartoons. But ask any "real" Popeye fan and you'll find that the comics are the "TRUE" Popeye — and yes, that's a fallacy in a way because I know there are real Popeye fans who like only the cartoons... heck, the main Popeye Facebook page harps the cartoons 99% and the comics 1% if that.

The movie is so good for so many reasons though. The songs, the sets — as was pointed out, still in Malta — the costumes, and the acting! Fantastic all around!!

I've loved this movie since I was a kid and saw it in the theater. In fact, I'm FINALLY making a Popeye costume that lives up to all my child-hood dreams!

So yeah.
I know what the movie is... and this is a boat you're not alone in!

Well, time to let nostalgia get the better of me.

This reminds of the time I rewatched Invaders from Mars:sick

Lets hope it doesn't have the same effect.

You say the (awesome) movie was more like the comics? There was singing in the comics?

Haha... "more like" doesn't equal "exactly like."
The comics were also printed on newsprint.

My dad grew up reading the original comics. When you ask him about the cartoons he turns into a raving Archie Bunker. It's kinda awesome.

I like the Elzie Segar comics and the Fleischer cartoons, but don't particularly care for the Sagendorf comics or the King Features Syndicate cartoons. As for the movie, you can read my comments here.

I loved this movie as a kid, I grew up watching Popeye cartoons (B&W) the Aladdin's Lamp episode is burned into my brain! :lol (open sez-ME!) ;) My mom used the Popeye bit to get me to eat spinach, (it worked, I still love spinach :) ) I really can't think of a movie that converted a cartoon (or comic) to live action as well as this, especially considering the lack of digital or computer effects at the time. I don't remember the story that well, (re-watched it with my daughter about 8 yrs ago) but the musical numbers reminded me of the old cartoons (they did have singing and dancing in them). It's certainly not a masterpiece, but it's a kid's movie that can still be enjoyed by adults, I have been finding that's harder to come by over the last 10 years or so.
A buddy of mine sails on the coast of Spain every year, I might have to see how much room is on his boat, visiting Popeye's town would be too cool! :cool:thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back