Popeye, the movie...am I the only person who knows this exists?

What I remember about it was that when we re-watched it, we kept catching more of the mumbling that Robin Williams did each time. It was like getting something new out of it each time.

I found the movie in the five dollar bin at Walmart. The wife must have thought I stumbled accross a stack of cash when I found it! :lol

Un,yea that movie....can't say I ever enjoyed it,sorry.

But fun fact for you fans:the guy...who I think played Whimpy was born and raised in Parkersburg,WV where I go all the time to shop as it's the closest town to where I live.

Lemme look....here:

IMDb - Paul Dooley

Man, I hate Shelly Duvall. She just about ruined the Shining for me, too.

I've just always had an issue with her. :unsure

-Rylo

-Rylo
LOL I was gonna say the same thing. She reminds me of a stretched out bull scrotom filled with vomit lol. Not to be too ignorant lol. There is something about her. Like a melted face Raiders of the Lost Ark Nazi look lol. Just her alone I couldnt deal with the movie. For me shes like if Jar JAr was a real female actress. Jar Jar Duvall lol. Sorry tourettes.:behave

I grew up watching the brilliant Fleischer Studios' Popeye cartoons on Saturday mornings (thanks to a local Los Angeles station) and enjoyed reading reprints of Elzie Segar's original comic strips, so I was excited when I first heard they were doing a live action Popeye movie.

I have to say, I was disappointed when I first saw the movie. I thought Williams, Duvall, and the rest of the cast were perfect in their roles (Duvall was born to play Olive Oyl), and the costumes and sets had the right look, but felt the pacing was slow and uneven, the story could have been better, and couldn't understand why it was a musical. Years later I watched it again on television, and my opinion didn't change. Recently they've been airing it on HBO, so I gave it another look; it wasn't as bad as I remembered it to be, but I could still do without the musical numbers.

I really enjoyed the movie, I got a kick out of Pappy(Ray Walston).

"Children. You give them everything they want. Give them candy and a lot of toys and what do you get in return? You get a lot of noise: Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah, my poppa's a mean old man."

The soundtrack is floating around out there. I will not say much just do a search.

-Rylo

She was perfect in the role of Olive, but I couldn't stand her in Shining, or Tim Burton's Frankenweenie.

Wife and I love this film. Saw it was on a worst movie list and we went on a hour discussion of why we love watching it even today.

Yeah, I keep seeing this movie on "worst" lists and I get it not being for everyone, but putting it on a WORST list? That generally means (to ME anyway) that the movie had zero nutritional value. No redeeming moments whatsoever. A complete waste of time and money where no matter how hard you looked you couldn't find one moment in it you found entertaining, even for a second.
Is that really this movie?

I grew up watching all those old Popeye cartoons on the Bozo show in the early 70s. I also have tons of old Popeye comic books that were handed down to me by my uncle. I've always liked Popeye. I remember before this movie came out the hype was pretty big for it.

I saw it in the theater when it opened---absolutely HATED it!!! Musical numbers? I cringed in my seat. Did the people who made this even ever watch a Popeye cartoon or comic book?

It's like these Dennis the Menace movies. Not one of them has the slightest essence of Ketchum's work. It's like they just watched the old TV show (which was awful) and made a movie of that.

That Popeye movie looked great but I thought it was awful....and really pointless..

I love the movie and just watched it again on DVD a few months ago. My only complaint is that from the cartoons I assumed Popeye was almost bald. Robin had too much hair for my taste.

I love the movie and just watched it again on DVD a few months ago. My only complaint is that from the cartoons I assumed Popeye was almost bald. Robin had too much hair for my taste.
I love Robin Williams, but that dude is seriously half Wookie.

My only complaint is that from the cartoons I assumed Popeye was almost bald. Robin had too much hair for my taste.
As he was originally drawn by Elzie Segar, Popeye had sort of a 1930s version of a Naval crewcut:

Segar_Popeye_1933.jpg

I remember oh so vaguely seeing this on TV as a kid...

I also vaguely remember my father liking it...

I remember one scene from the end (?) in which Popeye's forearm comes flying out of the water to punch someone in the face.

That's it.

I think I'll order it from Netflix...

Popeye was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and one of the first films I was truly obsessed about. I remember making a Popeye costume and a can of spinach with a label I drew to match the one the movie. Come to think of it that was probably my first foray into prop replicating lol.

- bish

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back