Popeye, the movie...am I the only person who knows this exists?

We put it together from my wife's Pippi books - all from Sweden and all belonged to her father first. I assure you - it's scattered in the stories but the connection is there.

Okay, so it's your opinion based on your assesment? Nothing factual?

Yet another reason for me coming to visit you, my friend. :)
Saw and loved the movie when it first came out and have it on VHS. All I can say is... road trip to Malta!

I remember see an interview with Robin Williams not long after the move came out, and he seemed completely embarrassed to have done the movie. I couldn't understand why he felt that way. IIRC, it wasn't received well by the critics, so maybe that was the reason for his response. :(

I loved the movie. IIRC it was panned by critics. I will say I am jealous of the beautiful clear Malta water.
Cheers!
Will

Saw and loved the movie when it first came out and have it on VHS. All I can say is... road trip to Malta!

I remember see an interview with Robin Williams not long after the move came out, and he seemed completely embarrassed to have done the movie. I couldn't understand why he felt that way. IIRC, it wasn't received well by the critics, so maybe that was the reason for his response. :(

I'm wondering if it was because it was his first movie. I think he was perfect for the role.

Loved the movie! I've been a Popeye fan since I was a very wee lad.

And just to show how enduring this character is, supposedly centuries later, the crewmember of the Betty, Vriess, whistles Popeye the Sailor Man theme In Alien: Resurretion.

Okay, so it's your opinion based on your assesment? Nothing factual?

Yeah - when Pippi is saying things like "The grossest vegetable around is all my dad ever leaves me to eat - that's why I store candy under the floorboards of my room."

"Dad has tattoos - two anchors on his arms."

"Mr. Nilson almost got beat up when he took my dad's pipe."

I can't remember any more, but there's a slew of them in the books. I'll ask my wife when she gets back i she remembers any others. There was one that was so on the nose she was talking about Popeye but I can't remember what it was.

I love this movie. One of my favorite scenes was when Bluto discovers Olive and Popey together and they show the whole scene in red for a sec... my 11 year old self thought that was genius. I still think it's a great gimmick to get the point across.

I'm wondering if it was because it was his first movie. I think he was perfect for the role.

Woah - has everyone (including IMDB) forgotten a little classic known as "Can I Do It Till I Need Glasses" ? -- That was Robin's first REAL movie. I was 10 or 11 when Popeye came out and I remember some people freaking on a Michael Keaton/ Batman level that Mork was playing Popeye.

Robin does hold a special place in my heart because of The World According to Garp - That movie has remained in my top 10 since i first saw it on cable. I relate so much with that character - grew up without a father because he died before I was born, imagined his dad was beyond human - then even weirder, growing up and becoming a writer - still waiting for my mother to write "Sexual Suspect" - as long as Boo don't pump me full of lead.

Woah - has everyone (including IMDB) forgotten a little classic known as "Can I Do It Till I Need Glasses" ? -- That was Robin's first REAL movie.

I haven't actually seen it... But I know what you're talking about. :love

Kind of like Stallone's first venture on celluloid. ;)

Kevin

I really liked the film, and I thought that Harry Nilsson's soundtrack was decent as well. It's too bad it wasn't received well, I thought it was good, and you couldn't have found a better cast as well!

I am 27 I have loved this movie sense i was a wee lad. Actually now that I think of it. This may have been the first film I ever watched.

haha! i'm 26 and still remember watching this as a kid! the best part of it all is i was watching storage wars a couple of weeks ago and the people had bought a storage shed in CA and what they found were odd looking shoes..i knew right away they were the originals that olive oil wore in the movie! they came complete with a CoA and everything!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back